Thread: Can't get rid of lean condition, part throttle low rpm

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Can't get rid of lean condition, part throttle low rpm

EDIT: finally back at this after contaminating my tank, replacing it, installing correct injectors and throttle body kit. Story picks up again at post #36.

I've started tuning VE on my AMC 360 and am running into problems.

ECM is 7747, $42 mask bin based on ASDU. It's a stock motor with 3" exhaust. The truck weighs probably 5500# give or take and has 33" tires and 3.73:1 gears. I originally had a mini fuel pressure gauge showing between 14-15 psi.

I've started by tuning idle and working at exploring cells in lower rpms and progressively higher loads. I've been having a hard time getting the BLM numbers to indicate anything but lean. There's a definite power loss as I get into the throttle, sort of like a lean bog--but I'm in closed loop?

I thought I'd try increasing BPW a little at a time and see what would happen. While it has improved a little as BPW increases, the high load cells (let's say 50-70 kPA, 1200-2000 rpm range) in the history table continue to read lean -- 135-145 range. I'm at BPW of 175. VE1 table (I've added VE1/2) is maxing out in those areas, too.

Suspecting fuel pressure I swapped on a different (better?) gauge which reads 14.5 at idle.

PE is not disabled. Is that the reason for the wonky numbers? I don't see how because I can feel the lean and it gets better as I increase BPW.

I could swear I was running the appropriate-sized 5.7L injectors but will double check when I get a few minutes. I haven't checked fuel flow out of the pump.

What other things should I be looking at?

I've not touched spark advance. Is there any way that might come into play? Maybe that's where the power loss is coming from.

My catalytic converter is suspect. How likely is that to cause trouble? Some honeycomb chunks blew out the tailpipe. I like to troubleshoot by testing and trying the cheap stuff first, rather than throwing expensive parts at problems hoping the next one is the fix. :)
    Last edited by shimniok; 04-26-2013 at 10:48 PM.
    1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - stock AMC 360 V8, 3" exhaust - 1227747 ECM - $42 ASDU - tc.wagoneer.org - www.bot-thoughts.com

I should mention I had run across this post by EagleMark that may be a lead for me here: "All my testing of BPW changes from stock without factoring fuel pressure have resulted in raising BPW and low end goes rich and high end goes lean." More research and reading to do...
    1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - stock AMC 360 V8, 3" exhaust - 1227747 ECM - $42 ASDU - tc.wagoneer.org - www.bot-thoughts.com

I started again with the ASDU, disabled EGR, disabled PE, zeroed knock retard, physically disabled EGR, and used a calculated BPW. I hit most of the cells in the 800-2000 rpm and 20-70 kpa range. I was able to tune most of the cells but...

It's really difficult to richen the higher kpa cells, particularly in the 1600-2000 range, 60-80kpa. Numbers are reading in the 140-150 range and I'm nearly tapped out on VE1--I've added A LOT to VE1. I've even added some to VE2. Can that be right?!?

Something MUST be wrong ...

I will keep at it and see if I can get those numbers to budge at all. But there must be something wrong.

I wonder if timing would help improve the burn and thus the numbers.

Post your bin and log file and I'll see if I can help.

ASDU VE1 and VE2 added together is already over 100% from factory! So you can't add fuel.

Timing will effect fueling...

Fuel pressure is a major issue, so many times we have gone through this and found fuel pressure gauges that are off! But if you have used 2 and both are the same at idle, can you use one to see fuel pressure during drive? Here's one I made that has found so many issues!

If you have blown out chunks of CAT... remove or replace. It could be causing some restriction but it's not your fuel issue.
    Attached Images Attached Images

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Maybe one of the injectors is not working correctly? One of the independent parts stores near me sells rebuilt 350 injectors for $34 (exchange).

dave w

Always a possibility! I avoid by having injectors serviced before a tune...

Read this:
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...4-7747-ve1-ve2

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Ok, I will chase down a fuel pressure gauge that I can watch while I drive. Will post up the results and go from there.

Thanks!!

Michael