Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alternatives?

Quote Originally Posted by jlowens76 View Post
    Then throw it in a nice little 3d printed enclosure, and you can have yourself a remote chip

That's a pretty cool setup.

I wanted the box header coming straight out the back because the ribbon connector forms a right angle. The idea is to cut an opening in the glovebox liner just large enough for the header to poke through. Install the ZIF with a couple small screws coming in from the back side,plug the cable in and push the liner back in place.

Are you doing 3D printing?

This is an initial example, but without signal amplification going on, noise will be an issue. Even the Ostrich cable on some ECM's is too far of a stretch and causes issues. We will be creating a final design with signal amplification.
    What about using the ribbon cable that is made up of twisted pairs? Hopefully I can do this using 14"-16" of cable. That's going to determine where in the glovebox I put it. I'm a clockmaker so working in tight areas is a job requirement.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterwrench View Post
    That's a pretty cool setup.

I wanted the box header coming straight out the back because the ribbon connector forms a right angle. The idea is to cut an opening in the glovebox liner just large enough for the header to poke through. Install the ZIF with a couple small screws coming in from the back side,plug the cable in and push the liner back in place.

Are you doing 3D printing?

This was just a quick example, could use whatever header in whatever orientation is most desired. And yes we do our 3d design/printing in house.
    OBD1 HONDA, GM, Chip Burner(like moates burn2), Emulation (like moates ostrich2)- IN STOCK, Adapters(like moates G1 & G2, Memcal) & More Tuning Parts and Accessories @ BoostedNW.com

This was just a quick example, could use whatever header in whatever orientation is most desired. And yes we do our 3d design/printing in house.
    Can you work from a blueprint? I don't have CAD and wouldn't know how to use it if I did. A T-square and ruler I have.

Fuel Injected!
    Can you work from a blueprint? I don't have CAD and wouldn't know how to use it if I did. A T-square and ruler I have.
    sure
    OBD1 HONDA, GM, Chip Burner(like moates burn2), Emulation (like moates ostrich2)- IN STOCK, Adapters(like moates G1 & G2, Memcal) & More Tuning Parts and Accessories @ BoostedNW.com

sure
    Cool! As soon as a get these pieces assembled I'll get some measurements and a design to make a rectangular cup with a slot in the back for the box header to poke through.

That circuit board that you pictured with the right angle header could have a straight header soldered where it is poking out the back right? Are those boards something you carry in stock? Just thinking of other maybe better ways of mounting the device.

Fuel Injected!
    Cool! As soon as a get these pieces assembled I'll get some measurements and a design to make a rectangular cup with a slot in the back for the box header to poke through.

That circuit board that you pictured with the right angle header could have a straight header soldered where it is poking out the back right? Are those boards something you carry in stock? Just thinking of other maybe better ways of mounting the device.
    Yes the header can be changed to whatever type that pokes out straight, right angle, it can be moved, etc

the board's aren't made yet, its just an altered design we have from our Socket Booster which is essentially the same but instead of pins and socket on one board, would just bet the socket, then extended with a cable. But like I previously stated you can't always just run pin to pin and extend it 18+ inches from chip to ECM. The 24 pin ecms in particular did not do well with extending the chip OR emulation over the Ostrich cable due to the logic levels and signal degradation over the length of the cable. Now like Fast355 mentioned...

Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    There were a couple of GM ECMs I had to run the Socket Booster on with my AutoProm . The ECMs that gave me the biggest headache to emulate to were the C3s like the 7747, 8747, 8756 and 6299. The later 7165, 7730 and 6395/7427 were not as picky.
    there are some that are fine, and others that will not work without having the signals amplified basically

Maybe it’s fortunate that I’m using the 7427. I didn’t buy the cable connectors with the gold plated terminals but that may have to be an option for better conductivity.

Fuel Injected!
    Maybe it’s fortunate that I’m using the 7427. I didn’t buy the cable connectors with the gold plated terminals but that may have to be an option for better conductivity.
    if all else fails, you can just add this on to boost it

https://boostednw.com/bnw-socket-booster

I plan on finishing the chip extender board, and adding these components to that as well so the signal boosting will be built in and just work in any ECM

Well,that was a bust. It has the correct .1 two row spacing down the middle but the outer rows are only .5 I guess my only other option is perf board and tie the holes with solder. One way or another this IS going to happen!!! I have another one that has the correct .6 along the outer row but .3 on the inner row. I could solder the ribbon leads to the inner row but that will make installation a PITA. I want to install the ECM then leave just enough lead to plug it into the ZIF and slide the liner back in place. Who even makes a .5 DIP?

or like this..

obviously then replacing that chip socket with a zif, i just didnt have zif socket 3d model to put in there
    Is this board something you're planning on producing?

Well I was able to get something done. Got the cable installed and was able to use that protoboard to make a memcal adapter for my reader/burner.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by scooterwrench; 09-25-2023 at 01:03 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Is this board something you're planning on producing?
    I can easily, even if its just for a small batch.

Just need more details on how everything should be arranged. So you mentioned the IDC being a straight, and not right angle, and then connecting on the BACK/Bottom side right?

With more details, measurements, etc I can whip something up and get a small batch of boards made fairly quickly

I can easily, even if its just for a small batch.

Just need more details on how everything should be arranged. So you mentioned the IDC being a straight, and not right angle, and then connecting on the BACK/Bottom side right?

With more details, measurements, etc I can whip something up and get a small batch of boards made fairly quickly
    Cool! I'll scratch out a drawing. I'm laid up with a ruptured disc so I might as well make good use of all this sittin' on my ass time. Rrrrrrrrr!!!!