Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternatives?

Fuel Injected!
    Left the market to focus on family. A company called BoostedNW is now selling stuff like what they used to sell, including a replacement for the Ostrich. They're where I got the MEMCAL adapter for my '90.
    1990 Corvette (Manual)
    1994 Corvette (Automatic)
    1995 Corvette (Manual)

Does a datalog device exist that converts an ALDL plug to thumb drive? Driving around with a cord stretched across to a laptop in the passenger seat is kind of a PITA.

Fuel Injected!
    It exists as a DIY device: http://www.pfautsch.com/?page_id=1486
    1990 Corvette (Manual)
    1994 Corvette (Automatic)
    1995 Corvette (Manual)

Administrator
    Years ago in dealer land you would grab the GM supplied tape recorder and special cable and drive around recording ALDL data. It would seem like a modern version which can write to a thumb drive is possible.

Sometimes it's tough to identify a particular incident with this type of recording. Lets say your vehicle was behaving well, except for that one time you accelerated to get out into traffic quickly. If you're not able to note the time or some other identifying feature, how do you know where to go to in the recorded data to see what happened? I would think combining ALDL adapter and Bluetooth would be the way to go. The laptop can be configured to display a "histograph" of data assisting with visual recognition of an incident when it happens, and it records timestamps to help reference events.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114869457343

Quote Originally Posted by NomakeWan View Post
    It exists as a DIY device: http://www.pfautsch.com/?page_id=1486
    Yeah,uh,no. Looks like a cluster f*ck

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterwrench View Post
    Does a datalog device exist that converts an ALDL plug to thumb drive? Driving around with a cord stretched across to a laptop in the passenger seat is kind of a PITA.
    The software (tuner pro RT, etc) is what does the recording, hence needing the cable connected to pc and datalogging/recording while driving

Now a bluetooth one is a possibility now days, but that still doesn't eliminate the laptop
    OBD1 HONDA, GM, Chip Burner(like moates burn2), Emulation (like moates ostrich2)- IN STOCK, Adapters(like moates G1 & G2, Memcal) & More Tuning Parts and Accessories @ BoostedNW.com

Quote Originally Posted by jlowens76 View Post
    The software (tuner pro RT, etc) is what does the recording, hence needing the cable connected to pc and datalogging/recording while driving

Now a bluetooth one is a possibility now days, but that still doesn't eliminate the laptop
    Yeah,I'll deal with it. It's not that bad. I run the cable up over the steering column so it's not under my feet. If for some reason I'm ever doing any rewiring behind the dash I'll move the ALDL over to the right side.

I'm close to doing the 7427 swap and came up with a brainstorm. My idea is to run a ribbon cable out of the PCM and install a 28 position Aries ZIF socket to the inside of the glove box. That way I don't have to keep pulling the PCM out every time I burn a new chip. If successful I'll post pics.
    Anybody know of a circuit board that accepts the .6 X .1 28 pin DIP pattern and the .1 X .1 IDC header socket? I want to solder the ZIF socket to the front side and solder a IDC shrouded male pin socket on the back side to plug the ribbon cable into. All I've fond so far are those project boards with lots of holes in them that I would have to tie together with lines of solder or small wire.

Fuel Injected!
    Anybody know of a circuit board that accepts the .6 X .1 28 pin DIP pattern and the .1 X .1 IDC header socket? I want to solder the ZIF socket to the front side and solder a IDC shrouded male pin socket on the back side to plug the ribbon cable into. All I've fond so far are those project boards with lots of holes in them that I would have to tie together with lines of solder or small wire.
    We can make one, So you mean the same thing as the moates chip extender?

You can't always just slap a chip on a board 18+ inches away and have it work.. There was more to the chip extenders than just the circuit board, socket and IDC
    Last edited by jlowens76; 09-20-2023 at 03:57 AM.
    OBD1 HONDA, GM, Chip Burner(like moates burn2), Emulation (like moates ostrich2)- IN STOCK, Adapters(like moates G1 & G2, Memcal) & More Tuning Parts and Accessories @ BoostedNW.com

Fuel Injected!
    or like this..

obviously then replacing that chip socket with a zif, i just didnt have zif socket 3d model to put in there
    Last edited by jlowens76; 09-20-2023 at 07:55 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Also we have tons of Genuine SST 27SF512 in stock

As well as replacement genuine SST adapted from PLCC chip footprint to DIP 28 to be usable as a regular 28 pin chip

Fuel Injected!
    Then throw it in a nice little 3d printed enclosure, and you can have yourself a remote chip

Last edited by jlowens76; 09-20-2023 at 08:36 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    This is an initial example, but without signal amplification going on, noise will be an issue. Even the Ostrich cable on some ECM's is too far of a stretch and causes issues. We will be creating a final design with signal amplification.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by jlowens76 View Post
    This is an initial example, but without signal amplification going on, noise will be an issue. Even the Ostrich cable on some ECM's is too far of a stretch and causes issues. We will be creating a final design with signal amplification.

There were a couple of GM ECMs I had to run the Socket Booster on with my AutoProm . The ECMs that gave me the biggest headache to emulate to were the C3s like the 7747, 8747, 8756 and 6299. The later 7165, 7730 and 6395/7427 were not as picky.
    Last edited by Fast355; 09-20-2023 at 11:50 AM.