Thread: Rear View mirror fell off and caused truck to stop running!!!

Rear View mirror fell off and caused truck to stop running!!!

Okay, it really did. I was pulling off the freeway into town, and in the middle of the offramp, a short sweeping curve, I reached up to adjust the rear view mirror and it fell off (it's an aftermarket mirror, and if I tighten the screw, it deforms and falls off, so I have to leave it a little loose). Just as it fell off, and right in the middle of the curve, the truck died. I coasted down the off-ramp until I got to the stop sign. When I went to restart it, it wouldn't. Hmmmm???? I crawled up into the engine compartment and took a quick look, but nothing was obviously wrong. Then I got back in and turned on the key to notice that the CEL did not illuminate at KOEO. Ok, ECM failure or blown fuse. I didn't relish trying to figure out the fuses while I was in the middle of the road, so I called my son. We pushed it off the road, and he looked at fuses. Sure enough, the IGN fuse was blown. I carry a lot of spare fuses, so we put one in. No luck. Both the ECM1 and ECMb fuses were good. Okay, the ECM is dead. I drive him back to work, drive the 25 miles home to get my 8625 and pigtail wire harness adaptor, then drive back to the truck. I hop in, remove the connectors from the 7747 and install my upgrade ECM. Still no love My fusable link? I drive back to my son's place of work, and as he is about to get off work, I hang around the 20 minutes, we print out wiring diagrams, and grab his snap-on probe. When we got back to the truck, we probed A1 on the ECM 12V on 7747 ECM. It had 12 V with KOEO Okay, the fusable link isn't blown. Then he put 12 volts on the output to the fuel pump and it doesn't turn on. Oh Cr@p. I'm laying under the truck and not hearing the fuel pump prime. Then he says.. How about now? Yep the pump primes. I get in, re-plug in the 8625 ECM and the truck starts. It runs like dog doo, but it starts. Okay??? I unplug the pig-tail and replug in the 7747. The truck starts and runs perfectly, and my son is laughing. The mirror apparently hit the tank selector switch as it fell, and it was stuck between the two tanks and not supplying voltage to the fuel pump . So you see, the mirror falling off caused my truck to quit running. The only thing I really got out of this is that the truck does not run well with a stock 350 bin in the 8625. Live and learn.....
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

Administrator
    Funny. I have to diagnose stuff like this more often than I want to.

Guy came in with a truck under warranty, "Sounds like a bunch of aluminum can rattling around the back." I drive it around on smooth roads. Nothing. I drive it in and out of a few parking lots. Nothing. There's only one bumpy road in town and it's a one block section where the asphalt's been dug up and hasn't been repaved yet. I hit it slowly. Nothing. Faster. Slight noise. Fast enough to attract attention... yep! Sounds just like a bunch of aluminum cans. +1 to the customer for accurately describing the noise. But what is it??? I hit it again, again, again, again. I can't guess why it's there but at least I can repeat the noise to confirm it's gone later. I've lost about 40 mins of payable time now because Chevrolet's not likely to cover driving around listening for the noise. But customer satisfaction is the goal, right? I put the truck on the lift. Everything seems tight. There's a small rattle in an exhaust shield but that's not it. I tighten it anyway. Whoo-hoo. I just earned 12 minutes of pay out of the hour I'm down. It's got an aluminum driveshaft so maybe??? I take it out and check the U-joints, check for cracks or fractures, nothing. Down about 1.6 hrs now, including in the shield. Let the truck down and decide to look at the fiberglass cap. Maybe something wierd with the clamps??? Or it's moving on the bed??? I'm really grasping at straws now. Open the cap and sitting in the bed is a bag full of aluminum cans!!! GRRRRRR!!! I go get the customer, pretty steamed about this whole issue. "Oh, gawshdarnit, my wife must have thrown those in the back and didn't tell me. Sorry about that. But thanks for looking!"

Yeah, sure. Have a nice day.

Glad you guys figured it out. :)
    Last edited by 1project2many; 09-21-2012 at 02:41 PM.