Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cant get Tunerpro RT to connect once engine starts

Fuel Injected!

Cant get Tunerpro RT to connect once engine starts

Hi All, I am trying to tune a new application for myself. It is a TBI 350, I am using a 7747 ECM and $42 mask code. The car runs fairly well and shows no codes.
    Using my Antique Auto x Ray I can connect and monitor the car. However when trying to connect using Tunerpro RT it will only work before I start the car.
    I can get it to connect with the key in the on position and I can look at the the items list and see things such as the TPS changing when I depress the pedal, but as soon as I fire it up it begins connecting and disconnecting every few seconds. I have tried some of the normal fixes without having any luck. Suggestions?
    Thanks
    Roy

Fuel Injected!
    The more I mess with it the less I understand exactly what is happening here. If I go into preferences and set to com 3, then test for a cable, tunerpro says the cable is found and functional. Unfortunately I cannot get it to connect to the ECM at all in this configuration.
    However if I go into preferences, set it to com 1, then test for a cable, I get the message that no cable is found. However in this configuration I can connect and read the ECM until I start the car, then it goes back to connecting and disconnecting.
    This stuff is sometimes so frustrating.
    Roy

You wouldn't be the first.

Plug cable in and on PC go to Devices and look for what Com port it is on.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Mark, I tried doing that. It does not show up on there at all. I cannot figure out how to get it to show up on there. When I go into advanced settings I can look at the different coms, and com3 says used, but you cannot see it under devices. I thought that might be part of the problem but cannot figure out how to make it show.
    That said using the same laptop Tunerpro works fine on my other car using $A1.
    Roy

Fuel Injected!
    Also, I have this same problem with the programmable ECM you just sent me, and the stock ECM so I can pretty much rule out a problem with the car. I just cant figure out why it connects fine until I start the car. I restarted the computer with the cable plugged into it and now it will connect on either com1 or com3. Until I start it up.
    Roy

Fuel Injected!
    I downloaded TTS 's ALDL interface tester and used it to test Com1 and Com3 and both passed.

What are you using for an ALDL cable? I had some similar weirdness at one point.
    1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - stock AMC 360 V8, 3" exhaust - 1227747 ECM - $42 ASDU - tc.wagoneer.org - www.bot-thoughts.com

Fuel Injected!
    I am using a Y style cable that Andrew from AKM made for me a few years back.
    Roy

Fuel Injected!
    I had an epiphany this morning. I noticed I have a little ignition static coming through the speakers when the radio is off. I am thinking this could be creating interference and causing my problem. I am currently using a serial port connection. If I went to USB is it possible it would take care of this issue?
    Roy
    Last edited by Fastmax32168; 09-21-2012 at 04:38 PM.

I haven't used serial cables in so long I forget how to check them. With USB if you plug in even a pass through cable (not device) it will show under Printers and devices in windows 7.

Since it is when running and you found electrical noise... Is this a conversion? Look at EFI harness. Is it anywhere near spark plug wires, coil or distributor cap? Or a arc from ignition somewhere? I think you found the issue. 40,000 volts near an EFI 5 volt signal does cause interrference.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    I am having extreme frustration with this issue. My car has been together for over a month and I cannot datalog it so I can tune it. I have checked all of my grounds and made sure nothing is running parallel to ECM wires, arcing, etc. I have purchased a new usb cable and gotten rid of the serial port setup. I have even purchased a new laptop as my other one was long overdue for upgrade. I still have the exact same problem with the new laptop and usb as I had with the old laptop and serial port cable. Tunerpro works fine on my other car tuning $A1. It will connect and monitor this car using $42 until I start the car. As soon as I start the car Tunerpro begins connecting and disconnecting about every second or so. I am up for any and all suggestions at this point.
    Thanks
    Roy

Quote Originally Posted by Fastmax32168 View Post
    I had an epiphany this morning. I noticed I have a little ignition static coming through the speakers when the radio is off. I am thinking this could be creating interference and causing my problem. I am currently using a serial port connection. If I went to USB is it possible it would take care of this issue?
    Roy
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Since it is when running and you found electrical noise... Is this a conversion? Look at EFI harness. Is it anywhere near spark plug wires, coil or distributor cap? Or a arc from ignition somewhere? I think you found the issue. 40,000 volts near an EFI 5 volt signal does cause interrference.
    Sounds like you found the issue earlier! Since you have data, key on engine off, the data wire must be correct.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Yes but I cannot find any source for the noise and do not know where else to look. I made certain everything was clear of the plug wires and double checked all of the grounds. All of my wiring is neat and organized, So much so that I dont know what to re-do to try to fix the problem. The car is a Malibu wagon running a TBI out of an 89 C1500. I used the original ignition wiring to power the ignition, and the original ECM wiring to power the ECM. Any suggestion on what wires to start with?
    Tonight I downloaded winaldl to see if I could datalog with it and I cannot. It acts the same as tunerpro. However my old Autoxray scanner will connect and stay hooked up no problem. I just cannot datalog with it so it is pretty useless other than to see generally rich or lean.

Fuel Injected!
    Mark, One thing I could look at is that I had to move the coil off of the motor and on to the firewall for clearance purposes. Does the coil ground through its bracket to whatever it is mounted on? If so I could rubber mount it and run a ground wire back to the motor so it was not grounding on the firewall but other than that I am having trouble finding something to look at. If the coil does not ground through its bracket then this idea probably holds no promise.
    Roy

I could spot an issue fairly quick if you had some pictures? Osiliscope can find anything is how I learned to spot them. Coil seems a likely suspect but probably not ground, should be isolated in bracket. More like voltage EMI/RFI from coil or coil wire to body... and not sure that is the issue, just a hunch. You had all the clues, happened many of times.

What kind of altenator do you have? Voltage when running? Grounds from body to block, block to frame. Should have been 2 main grounds off harness to engine? Nothing from EFI grounded to body? Check the data wire from ALDL port to ECM? Ha! Runs right behind the firewall where coil is to ECM right?

I'm really at a loss why data would stop when engine starts? Maybe some ECM but I do that all the time with 1227747. Can you connect after running?

-= =-