Thread: Datalog with EGR disabled

Electronic Ignition!

Datalog with EGR disabled

Hello all! I just did a datalog to help get my VE tables closer. I disabled EGR and tried to be easy on pedal to stay out of AE and PE. They stayed inactive most of the time so should be fairly accurate log. My engine is basically stock with a slightly larger cam, headers, dual exhaust with glass packs, modified TBI with adjustable fuel pressure regulator and the heads have new springs and valve job with roller tip rockers just the 1.52 ratio ones. Posting the datalog. I have adjusted the timing and the rev limit a little but still seems weak bottom end. Pulls great above 2000rpm's. I'm still learning this tuning stuff so any suggestions greatly helpful and appreciated. I have read many many forums and posts for the last year on tuning so my heads full of stuff that i know little about lol. I have attached the bin also i used for this datalog it has my adjusted VE table after I used the spread sheet.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Electronic Ignition!
    Forgot to mention its the 0D mask original ecm and mask is 16297427 with BJYK bin in a 1995 K1500

The BLMs look real good. Except around idle which is normal with a cam change. But there's something wrong in the bin Idle VE Vs MAP VS RPM, your Idle VE table. Look at it in wireframe view and easy to see a HUGE spike in area of idle where BLM are off. 35 MAP, 800 RPM. Ouch! Hard to tune that... if you didn't accedently do this it may be the biggest GM spike I've seen!

The low power under 2000 RPM is probably do to engine mods and needing some more timing. You have only one instance of Knock Retard so I' assuming the Knock circuit is working. Add some timing and watch for knock. I threw some timing in your bin and used the smooth tool, you can use this to see how to work a spark table. Same for VE tables.

TunerPro Preferences and check Graph Always on Top. Then use the Compare tool to see differences in your bin Spark and VE tables to one I am uploading. For learning, not done for your engine or log but better starting point for tuning.
    Attached Files Attached Files

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    Ok thankyou. That was probably my mistake as I entered all the data to spreadsheet and from spreadsheet by hand. Also on the timing i did advance the lower rpm a little maybe a degree or 2 from about 1000 rpm to about 2400 rpm. I was concerned with going to much to fast since I'm using the the gm 193 swirl port heads. Everything I have read about those heads say not use the old standard of 36 degrees advanced above 3000 rpm's. On smoothing out the tables is there a rule of thunb to go by like always add or remove to make it a smooth transition from one to the other. All the stuff I have read and seen on tv on powerblock or similar shows, always have a nice curve or smooth transition where as my tables are pretty jagged compared to what I have seen. I tried smoothing it out once real nice and got it running to rich. I will give those timing tables a try and do another log this weekend. I probably won't have time till then to do it. Thank you for the advice and the change to bin also, very much appreciate the time it took for you.

Smoothing is done by the smooth tool in TunerPro. I like to take a look at wireframe and fix the big jagged edges, then go through and smooth at .5 Leave all four corners alone and it comes out very close to stock. Takes some playing with to get the hang of it. But really makes VE changes easy. Makes Spark tables more predictble.

-= =-

Electronic Ignition!

Tried Smoothing VE table

When smoothing the VE table how do you leave the four corners alone. I tried several different ways but seems to change the numbers by quite a bit when i do it. With as much as it changed the numbers I'm afraid its going to throw off the tables quite a bit. I'm assuming when you say leave the 4 corners alone you are referring to the areas of the 400rpm @ 20kpa and 100kpa, and the area of 6400 rpm @ 20kpa and 100kpa. On the outside edges it changed some as much as 9 points and some in the middle around 2 points. The outside edges it probably doesn't matter as much because engine doesn't get to those points but in the middle area is where it will run quite often is that normal. Also afterwards guessing do more datalogs and keep smoothing to get it just right. I just want to make sure so I dont throw the table way off again and have to go back to stock and start all over again.

It's taken years to get the hang of this and I'll try to pass it on. Recently I have built bins for modified engines using fuel pressure and bin settings then used stock VE tables smoothed and came out so close no VE tuning was needed! It's something I do to all bins I tune and it makes it easier tune.

Read this for a starter.
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...ll=1#post12348

The Tables you have are a guideline. All four corners are the guideline, they can change. Save your bin and make another to work on and use the old for Compare. Who knows what software GM used back then but the procedure was to dyno engines to MBT which is pressure at 15 degrees after TDC, then had to pass driveabilty and emissions and still have drive ability. It's obvious some areas were just grabbed to meet the needs! It passed so they were done. Or in some case never even worked on, like your main VE table, look at 20 MAP column, it is going up then stops and goes down. Not likely to ever see that area.

So your VE table fix the 20 MAP and where it goes to 59. use that number for rest of column. Or you could leave it alone. Rest of it looks OK, so I'll give a simpler approach. Click 100 MAP and all cells will highlight. Use Smooth tool and set to .7 and execute. Then do all the MAP columns, then do all the RPM columns. Now compare to starting bin and Compare, use the difference Icon and you'll see not many drastic changes between the 2 except the 20 MAP which we changed. Look at table in Wire frame View. Which do you think will work better?

-= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    Thank you for suggestions, I read that link you posted and since ve seem to be personal preference on smoothing. I think I won't worry to much about smoothing it out. It runs real smooth now, no misses or lunging or anything so I will probably play with the timing a little more this weekend when data logging. That timing you added definitely helped bottom end and made it pull even harder above 2000 rpm so will probably play with it a little. When I get to much timing in it and it shows a knock then I'm thinking pull a minimum of 2 out and play with it that way. I don't have access to a dyno or anything just have to go by wide open runs and a start/stop point with a stop watch. Also under part throttle if I get no knock but then do get a knock under wide open I should probably back it off even if part throttle is not knocking, correct? ALso have noticed that when it shifts gears it seems to have a slight hesitation just after it shifts then smooths back out again. Is that a fueling problem or is that in the timing. I was guessing its in the timing but I might be wrong and it only seems to do it when its part throttle shifts at lower rpm. Thanks again for all you input has been very helpful.