Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
I am running a HEI distributor using a 7 pin module.
I bought a aftermarket HEI distributor for the AMC/Jeep V8. It was for carbed engines and had a 4 pin module.
The pad the module sets on was the wrong shape and size to fit the 7 pin module. But strangely, the top half of the distributor could be removed from the shaft. I figure it was so the company could use the same top of different lower shafts for different engines.
I ended up buying a used distributor from a TPI chevy 350, chucking it up in my lathe and machined it to fit the aftermarket lower housing.
I ended up using the chevy shaft, rotor and top half of the distributor and only using the bottom lower housing of the aftermarket unit.
I am using the pickup coil and 7 pin module from the TPI distributor. I attached the two together using some small bolts. They are all still tight and rock solid. Nothing appears to have moved either.
It sounds kinda hodge podge, but it had been great and completely trouble free for years.

I will unbolt and check all my grounds. The battery posts are good and clean. I use AGM batteries, so no powdery corrosion.

The pickup coil and 7 pin module I swapped were used/junkyard units I kept for spares. They are factory GM parts.
If there is a chance they could be the issue, I do not mind buying new ones, if a QUALITY replacement can be purchased. I do not want some cheap china crap that will give me trouble in a couple months.
7 Pin HEI Large Cap with the Ignition Coil in the cap is a very good ignition system.

Possibly the 7 Pin Module is faulty?

Quality parts? No longer available, just cheap and worthless parts.

7 Pin HEI.png