Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
Interesting.
Could a magnetized reluctor cause the issue I am having? And could it cause them intermittently?

It is kinda hard to describe how I rebuilt the distributor. But pretty much the whole top part is original GM 7 pin. This includes the pin that holds the pickup in pace for proper timing to the posts in the distributor cap.
Not sure if I would be able to get a good enough picture to without it without completely disassembling it.

I do actually have a spare reluctor, as when I originally built it, I actually bought two complete (used) distributors off ebay to use for parts.
I pressed the reluctor off both of the gm shafts since they are the wrong length. One is in the distributor now, the other I kept as a spare.

I am thinking about swapping the reluctors. I will have to disassemble the distributor, cut the spot weld and then press on the new one and spot weld.
But if that would fix it, it would be worth it. I would just hate to go through that and it not do anything.
Only one way to find out.
If you have access to a lab scope, you could "see" the output of the pickup coil