Thread: Problem with my rear driver's side brake light

Carb and Points!

Problem with my rear driver's side brake light

Hi,

Guys I haven't posted in a bit, hope everyone is well. I'm having some problems with my electricals. When I push down on the brake pedal (regardless if the car is on or off) my rear driver's side brake light doesn't work. however when i wiggle the turn signal switch it flickers and turns on. A lot of people on the forums from the past suggest changing the turn signal switch in the column but wouldn't that only be required to change if the problem was on both sides? maybe perhaps the brake pedal switch is bad? all the other lights ... turn signal, hazards work. hope someone with this problem in the past shed some light
    1995 Camaro z28 lt1
    A4 - 3.23 -​ cc503 cam -1.6 rr - Cai - Lts -catback

Fuel Injected!
    Brake pedal switch is a dumb switch. Do any brake lights at all come on when you touch the brake pedal? If you answered yes, then your issue isn't the brake pedal switch. Simple as that.

Turn signal switch, on the other hand, is a much more complicated piece of electrical nonsense. It is entirely possible for a part of it to fail while leaving other parts working properly. I don't know the wiring diagram for your vehicle, but if GM was dumb and wired the brake circuit through the turn signal switch to cheap out on proper separation between turn signal operation and brake operation, then yes, it's entirely possible that a faulty turn signal switch could fail in such a way that only one light would fail and not the other. Considering I've seen GM's cost-cutting circuit hack bullshit first hand on the C4 Corvette, it wouldn't surprise me one iota to find out they did that on the '95 Camaro.
    1990 Corvette (Manual)
    1994 Corvette (Automatic)
    1995 Corvette (Manual)

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by NomakeWan View Post
    Brake pedal switch is a dumb switch. Do any brake lights at all come on when you touch the brake pedal? If you answered yes, then your issue isn't the brake pedal switch. Simple as that.

Turn signal switch, on the other hand, is a much more complicated piece of electrical nonsense. It is entirely possible for a part of it to fail while leaving other parts working properly. I don't know the wiring diagram for your vehicle, but if GM was dumb and wired the brake circuit through the turn signal switch to cheap out on proper separation between turn signal operation and brake operation, then yes, it's entirely possible that a faulty turn signal switch could fail in such a way that only one light would fail and not the other. Considering I've seen GM's cost-cutting circuit hack bullshit first hand on the C4 Corvette, it wouldn't surprise me one iota to find out they did that on the '95 Camaro.
    1) Yes the right rear brake light work fine

2) I'm suspecting it might be the spring mechanism in the turn signal switch module for the left signal. I'm going to do some more troubleshooting.
    1995 Camaro z28 lt1
    A4 - 3.23 -​ cc503 cam -1.6 rr - Cai - Lts -catback

Electronic Ignition! FirstGenThree's Avatar
    My 92 pickup will have a brake light out after turning left, but both work after turning right. If you nudge the tss up they both work. The tss interupts the brake light circuit for the turn signal. If your brake and turn signal are the same bulb or filament I suspect you have the same issue, if they are separate i'd have to look at a wiring diagram. I don't think it's any money saving design on GM's part just simply how things worked on this era of vehicle.