Thread: TBI injectors problem

Fuel Injected!

TBI injectors problem

I have some TBI injectors that seems to not perform well. The spray pattern is not a fine mist but sometimes you can see a drops. Also when they get hot, they produce some growling type of noise that can be heard quiet loud.

I don`t have any experience with these so don`t know which is normal.

Do these seems shot and can it be cleaned with some fuel additives. How about bumping the fuel pressure. I got 3bar pump already and now the pressure is around 1 bar. WHat is the max they can handle and will it cure the course mist pattern.

Administrator
    The maximum pressure depends on the application. If they are "regular" TBI injectors that typically operate at 9-13 psi they can usually be used at pressures over 30 psi.

Is it difficult to obtain another set of injectors? If the spray pattern is not good I usually move on to another set. Is the growling noise occurring in the vehicle? Do you have a way to scope the injector circuit to look for issues when the injector is growling?

I have not had much success using most additives for cleaning. But other folks may have a different recommendation.

Fuel Injected!
    1project2many, Thanks for the input

At cold engine start, growling is very weak and gets noticeable, after getting a good warm-up and heat soak, The noise is really loud, I had to trace it with a stethoscope to find the source and was very surprised it comes from injectors. Unfortunately no scope can be used on injector drivers.
    I suspect the injectors are stock 5.7 ones, but have no way to confirm. Good OEM stock is hard to find and really expensive, while aftermarket is hit or miss. I am trying to save these ones as much as possible.

Fuel Injected!
    send them off and get professionally cleaned &flowed. i too have found used oem better than aftermarket.