Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 95 Corvette 16181333 ECM Fan control

Fuel Injected!

95 Corvette 16181333 ECM Fan control

Hi. I'm a newbie in Tunercat and programming GM ECM's.
    I have a 1995 Corvette LT1 with 4LL60E, that I've put in a 53 Suburban, and I would appreciate some help. I bought a standalone wiring from PCI conversion.
    I had to remove the V.A.T.S before I could start the engine.
    The fan came on after I started the engine, and stayed on. And I have some problems to start also. It needs som cranking before it starts.
    I tried to change the setting for the fans, but now I get DTM on the fan control. (
    MALF 77: Fan 1 Fault, and MALF 78: Fan 2 Fault)
    I've tried to reprogram the ECM to the first file I read out from the ECM, but I still get this Fan fault.

Any ideas anyone?

Oystein B

EagleMark has posted information on the 16181333 PCM here:
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...rmation-EE-EEB

I've used both TunerPro and TunerCats, most members here use TunerPro. If you post the file you read from the PCM, I can use my TunerCats to see if there is anything I can help with.

dave w

Sounds like a wiring issue?

77 Cooling fan relay #1 control potential voltage at PCM was incorrect for 26 seconds.
    78 Cooling fan relay #2 and #3 control potential voltage at PCM was incorrect for 26 seconds.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    I have attached the files I sendt to the ECU
    If I ground the fan-relay with an other wire, the fan starts..
    Attached Files Attached Files

What bin did you start with?

I compared your bin to a 1995 Corvette 4L60E bin and there was over 4000 differences, most of which are undefined! Meaning changes were made to things that do not have a Paremeter to change them. This is not good... I would start with a new bin. Attched is the one I used to compare.
    Attached Files Attached Files

-= =-

I've looked at the fan programming in the 53 Suburban_vlifter in TunerCats. It looks like to me, the fans are controlled by engine oil temperature and AC pressure. It's my understanding that the PCM will supply a Ground to the fan 1 / fan 2 relays. I'm wondering about the fan wiring in the PCI wiring harness and how the oil temperature and AC pressure sensors are connected? I don't have enough information to know why the fans are always on. Are the fans on because of the PCI wiring harness is other than the factory wiring? Are the fan sensors not correct or correctly wired to the oil temperature sensor AC pressure sensors? Maybe the PCM fan programming needs to be changed for the fan sensors?

Is it possible PCI has schematics for the conversion harness online somewhere? Maybe PCI provided schematics that could be scanned to a .pdf file and posted here at gearhead-efi.com?

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    The wiring harness doesn't support either AC,oil temperature and air pump. It's only for the minimum that the engine needs to work.

And if I understand you right, I can use your atached file, modify it and program my ECM?

tried to attach the pdf file from psiconversion, but it's too big. It can be found here. : http://psiconversion.com/tech_articles.html And it is the top one ( HAR-1005, -1006)

Oystein B

Yes you can use the bin I attached with TunerCat. I have no ides how your bin even works with that many undefined changes? Although spark and fuel tables look to be accurate?

You can also get an ADX file from link above to datalog with TunerPro RT.

Fan control is from Coolant tempreture. There are options to enable one fan when AC is on. If the harness was made for 2 fan control the wiring should be simple as it is this way from factory on most LT1 engines and bins. Some bins like Caprice etc... only have one electric fan.

You have not mentioned what Check Engine Light is doing? It should come on, blink and stay on when key is on. Then turn off when engine is running. One sure fire sign your in limp home mode is fans on!

-= =-

Super Moderator
    that many undefined changes, i would look at where the changes are, sounds like algorithm changes rather than calibration.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Ah! That makes sense as to why tables still look correct.

This would only happen on flash based bins correct? Never saw this on chips...

-= =-

Super Moderator
    it happens with both the FLASH PROMs and the EPROM stuff. for $8D, look at the differences between AUJP and ANHT. that's one popular example i can think of.

$6D, $88, $A1 all have a couple of algorithm variants. the P66 V6 stuff also has 4 versions of the algorithm that i have found as well.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

I'll read through the .pdf and get back later.

dave w

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    I'll read through the .pdf and get back later.

dave w
    From the .pdf
    In stock configuration Fan #1 will come ON at 226F and go OFF at 221F
    Fan #2 willcome ON at 235F and go OFF at 230F.
    (PCM reprogramming is available through PSI to
    alter fan temperatures).

Green Fan 1 Ground (Optional) Ground Side of Customer Supplied Fan 1 Relay
    Dk Blue Fan 2 Ground (Optional) Ground Side of CustomerSupplied Fan 2 Relay

So I'm thinking maybe the Green fan wire and Dark Blue (Dk Blue) fan wire are not correctly wired to the fan relays your using?

Can you post your fan wiring schematics? Maybe the relay coil is grounded all the time, instead of the Green fan wire / DK Blue fan wires providing ground the fan relays? Maybe you can let us know what kind of fan relays your using? I'd like to make sure the fan relays are wired correctly, before making changes to the .bin file programming.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    I'm using an ordinary light relay. And the ground to the relay is from the green wire.
    The fan itself is connected to pin 30 for power and direct to ground.

Oystein
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Oysteinbno View Post
    I'm using an ordinary light relay. And the ground to the relay is from the green wire.
    The fan itself is connected to pin 30 for power and direct to ground.

Oystein
    The way I'm thinking I would wire the fan relay: I would have pin 30 "Battery +" all the time (no other wires going to pin 30 except "Battery +"). I would send 12 volts from the ignition switch to pin 86 when the ignition switch is in the "ON" position (I would NOT connect pin 30 and pin 86 like the drawing posted is showing). I would connect pin 85 like the posted drawing shows, green wire from the PCM. I would connect pin 87 to the cooling fan "+" wire and connect the cooling fan "-" wire to ground or "Battery -". When the cooling fan is wired like I descrbe, the only way the cooling fan will run is when the ignition switch is in the "ON" position, and the PCM green wire is sending ground to relay pin 85.

dave w