Thread: Hard Startine when hot (new heads and cam)

Electronic Ignition!

Hard Startine when hot (new heads and cam)

I recently finished up my engine in my truck. It started up right away and ran great while I was breaking in my cam (with the exception of running a little lean, which I figure is normal because it wasnt tuned for the new combo. As I have been tuning, the problem seems to be getting worse. Heres what I changed... I started with a mostly stock '94 K1500 pick up with an EBL Flash ECM with WB O2 and controller, then I put Summit vortec heads, weiand street warrior intake, lunati cam (single pattern with 268 deg of advertised duration, 218 deg @ .050, 110 LSA, .457 inch lift), 1.6 roller rockers, 1800 RPM stall torque converter, vaccume reference fuel pressure regulator set at 40psi at idle (2 injectors, 107 #/hr @ 40psi). It is hard to start when its hot, I have to hold the throttle down about half way and turn the key/ crank the engine over about 2-4 times before it starts. When the engine is cold it starts fairly easily. As I started my VE learns, after shutting the engine off and updating the tune it became harder and harder to start after each flash session. My AFR at idle are between 14.5 and 14.8, while driving my AFR's range from 13.5 to 15.5. Any help is welcome. Thanks

That's a lot of gas! You should check with RBob if other injector settings are in line with that pressure and TBI injectors.

If that's not the issue it sounds like to much spark advance. Cold Spark Bias will take some out but not when warm. With your build I suspect a lot of idle spark advance. I'm not familar with the EBL but I'm sure there's a Crank Spark hot type paremeter or timer.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    I looked for a Crank Spark-Hot parameter, but didnt see one (doesnt mean there isnt one in the TunerPro sofeware). Im running about 20 degrees of spark at idle with 2 degrees of base timing.

Should start fine at 22 degrees? Got a good starter, battery and grounds? Could very well be a mechanical issue.

Always good to check timing at timing marks with dial back timing light or timing tape on the balancer. Check the timing when engine is warmed up to see..... wait for it......

"So where do you say your timing is set at?"

There's also different Spark Latency settings for EST/ICM module. Could also be a faulty EST/ICM module?

I'd be checking timing first...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

is it wanting to flood while starting warm or is the starter struggling to turn it over warm? I'm running a 280 cam with the gmpp vortec heads, 24* idle with 10* base. I had to cut back the cranking fuel on mine for the upper temps. I would constantly have to press the pedal to start mine warm but it would fire up fine cold.
    87 4Runner, 15" spring lift, 3" body, chevy vortec 355, 5.29 gears, 38.5x15.5x15" Boggers, 280hr, 16168625 running $0D
    93 S10, 36x12.5x15 TSL's, custom turbo headers, 266HR cam, p&p vortec heads, $0D Marine MPFI with 8psi boost.
    05 Silverado, 2' lift, 4" exhaust, Bully Dog programmer,