Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone good at tuning for emissions test?

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellbilly View Post
    Dave that's the same gauge I'm using. I'm wondering if my output ground is what is messing it up. Because the gauge itself is reading correct but it really if ever will go below 15 in the log. I set desired AFR really low today on the way home from work, just to make sure. And again it rarely reads below 15. I logged the trip home with the same adx you posted, so ill put that here. Ive 2x and triple checked that the bin settings are exactly the way the notes described. I'm going to go check wires right now now and maybe try a different ground for the output. I also borrowed a fuel pressure gauge, so Ill verify that in the morning. Ill report back if I figure anything out
    So I moved the output ground from an engine ground to a sensor ground and nothing changed. Here is a short log and current bin, along with a pic showing the differences. It's like this all the time. I'm running out of ideas
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank you for using the same .adx I use

I think a "spike" test might reveal interesting data. Often called a "book end" test.

I see the injector flow is currently set to 59. A spike test would involve setting injector flow to 54 and 64, with default desired AFR programmed in the chip. The expectation is injector flow 54 would be very rich everywhere in the WBO2 data log WBO2, and 64 would be lean everywhere in the WBO2 data log. Test driving is not recommended for a spike test / book end test.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    Thank you for using the same .adx I use

I think a "spike" test might reveal interesting data. Often called a "book end" test.

I see the injector flow is currently set to 59. A spike test would involve setting injector flow to 54 and 64, with default desired AFR programmed in the chip. The expectation is injector flow 54 would be very rich everywhere in the WBO2 data log WBO2, and 64 would be lean everywhere in the WBO2 data log. Test driving is not recommended for a spike test / book end test.
    I will do this test today, although I think I've basically done this just with changing desires afr instead of injector flow. Flow was set at 59 because I was told when I first built this engine that I should lower the flow numbers on chip until I had a good mixture of high and low blms then fine tune from there. It took lowering that setting to 59 before i started seeing rich blms. Actual flow should have been more like 72. Fuel pressure on my throttle body was supposed to be locked out at 18 ( spr performance ported throttle body). They said the injectors were flow matched at 750 cc/min at 14 7 psi. I'm about to go out and verify fuel pressure so I know for sure what everything is doing.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellbilly View Post
    I will do this test today, although I think I've basically done this just with changing desires afr instead of injector flow. Flow was set at 59 because I was told when I first built this engine that I should lower the flow numbers on chip until I had a good mixture of high and low blms then fine tune from there. It took lowering that setting to 59 before i started seeing rich blms. Actual flow should have been more like 72. Fuel pressure on my throttle body was supposed to be locked out at 18 ( spr performance ported throttle body). They said the injectors were flow matched at 750 cc/min at 14 7 psi. I'm about to go out and verify fuel pressure so I know for sure what everything is doing.
    Ok. Verified fuel pressure. 18 psi with pump running, 17 psi while cranking

4.3 TBI injectors typically flow 45 Lb/Hr @ 12 ~ 13 PSI
    4.3 TBI Injectors will theoretically flow 53 Lb/Hr @ 18 PSI

5.7 TBI Injectors typically flow 61 Lb/Hr @ 12 ~ 13 PSI
    5.7 TBI injectors will theoretically flow 72 Lb/Hr @ 18 PSI

Fuel Injected!
    4.3 TBI injectors typically flow 45 Lb/Hr @ 12 ~ 13 PSI
    4.3 TBI Injectors will theoretically flow 53 Lb/Hr @ 18 PSI

5.7 TBI Injectors typically flow 61 Lb/Hr @ 12 ~ 13 PSI
    5.7 TBI injectors will theoretically flow 72 Lb/Hr @ 18 PSI
    Right, and 72 is what I had started with, before I started to max out my fuel tables and was told to lower flow rate in the bin to get more room to work with. That's how I ended up at 59. I just made some bins to do spike test for you to see. Will upload logs when I'm done.

I still think the WBO2 in the logs aren't correct though.
    https://www.aemelectronics.com/sites...or%20Gauge.pdf
    This is the gauge I'm using. I have white wire to pin B16, and brown wire spliced into B3. At first, I had brown spliced into A12 and it acted the same way.

Fuel Injected!
    Here is spike test bins and logs. I added pics showing log and gauge differences for each to

Hmmm,
    I think we Might Not be on the same page for what WBO2 is Plug-n-Play with WBO2 data logging instructions.

AEM 30-4110 is Plug-n-Play with the WBO2 data logging instructions: 0v = 10 AFR / 5v = 20 AFR Microsoft Word - 10-4110 for UEGO Gauge kit 4110 (summitracing.com)

30-4110.PNG

According the link in post 36, AEM 30-0300 is being used, which is not Plug-n-Play with the WBO2 data logging instructions.
    AEM 30-0300 is: 0v = 8.5 AFR / 5v = 18 AFR

30-0300.PNG

Fuel Injected!
    Hmmm,
    I think we Might Not be on the same page for what WBO2 is Plug-n-Play with WBO2 data logging instructions.

AEM 30-4110 is Plug-n-Play with the WBO2 data logging instructions: 0v = 10 AFR / 5v = 20 AFR Microsoft Word - 10-4110 for UEGO Gauge kit 4110 (summitracing.com)

30-4110.PNG

According the link in post 36, AEM 30-0300 is being used, which is not Plug-n-Play with the WBO2 data logging instructions.
    AEM 30-0300 is: 0v = 8.5 AFR / 5v = 18 AFR

30-0300.PNG
    Shit, you're right! I guess I just saw they both had 0-5V outputs and assumed they were the same scale.
    I guess I'll see how fast I can get the right one in. It cant be rescaled that I know of, so I guess its useless to me. Thanks, for catching that. I was racking my head with this.

Fuel Injected!
    Well I ordered the other wideband gauge and it should be here tomorrow. But in the the meantime, I couldn't stand having spent that money on the first one and it wouldn't work. So, I sat down and figured out the math, changed the formula in the adx and tested... log is within .2 of accuracy, but probably closer depending on how the adx is rounding the decimal points

Does this sound as accurate as using the 4110 gauge? Here's some pics showing gauge and log side by side again, a short log and the modified adx if anyone cares to look.
    The only thing not accounted for in my formula is if the pcm math accounts for dead spots in the high and low readings in linear egr position. For example: Is .5 Volts actually 0 counts and 4.5 actually 255, or is it literally 0-5v? but it doesn't look like the original formula had corrections for this either, so I would assume that my formula would be just as accurate.

The instructions for the 0300 gauge had conversion formula for voltage, so all I did was factor in an conversion from EGR counts to Voltage.

Maybe someone smarter than me can figure out how accurate it is.

Fuel Injected!
    If anyone is still interested in this topic, I passed emissions test today. Basically I put 1.25 gal. of alcohol in the tank, used a vortec timing table with 5 degrees taken out from both tables. The truck basically had less power that my old worn out, untuned, stock 350 did, but I had room to spare on emissions levels.

Also have been using that same WBO2 and the formula I put in, seems to be accurate. Thank you everyone for you're help and ideas

Always interested.
    Glad it worked.
    '95 Z28 M6 -Just the odd mod.
    '80 350 A3 C3 Corvette - recent addition.

Fuel Injected!
    This is a bit late but I always use a post-catalyst heated O2 sensor (Bosch LSF4.2 works well) and look for wiggles there. I try to get the front o2 thresholds set to get the rear O2 (with catalyst) reading as close to 0.55-0.6 volts as possible, and make sure that light transient driving doesn't make it deviate much from that. I'm in a pro tuning environment for up-and-coming engines (2024-2025 release) so I have WBO2 and post-cat O2 sensor into the ECM already, a good 'first pass' is getting as many part-throttle transients to average as close to stoich as possible.
    1994 6.5L 4L80E K
    2001 VW GTI
    2006 Smart ForTwo CDI