Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help reading tune from 27SF512

Fuel Injected!

Post Need help reading tune from 27SF512

Is it only possible to READ from a stock chip with moates Burn2 and tunerproRT?

I think have the chip start and end addresses and the buffer start and end addresses correctly set up as per eagle marks post here Reading Stock GM Chips Burn 1, Burn 2, AutoProm TunerPro Flash and Burn (gearhead-efi.com)

I just switched laptops and im trying to read my last tune off of a SST27SF512 that was in the truck running and driving and now when i try to read the chip with the Burn2 and tunerproRT all the values in the tables show zero and its clearly not a good read.

I downloaded another $0D bin off the website here and i can open it and everything looks fine so its not an opening issue.

Is the process to READ from a 27SF512 the same as it is to read from a stock chip? I currently have the addresses set up for as if i were going to WR​ITE to the 27SF512 chip

Fuel Injected!
    If i use the hex addresses for a 64K file stock prom chip 27C512 and read my flash chip 27SF512 that way it seems to pull the bin off fine. Is this the correct way to do this? I dont have any copys of my last tune on this laptop to which i would compare to to be sure but i cant on this laptop.

Fuel Injected!
    The stock chip was a 27C256, not a 27C512. Usually when you burn a smaller BIN to a larger chip, you use a technique called "BIN stacking" to duplicate the data (in the case of a 27C512, this would mean burning two copies of the BIN to the chip, stacked on top of one another). This way the entire program space is filled, and you know that the entry vector will be correct.

If you have an ECM that supports 8192 baud ALDL, you could also pull the data by using a Mode 3 request. The program Flashhack by steveo includes the ability to dump ROMs over ALDL from any computer. I used it to dump CCMs from all three of my Corvettes without removing the computers from the car, for example: https://ecmhack.com/flashhack/

But since you have physical access to the chip, using the BURN2 (or any chip burner on the planet) to read it is the correct course of action. Just make sure you actually have the correct chip selected and are reading the correct program data addresses.
    1990 Corvette (Manual)
    1994 Corvette (Automatic)
    1995 Corvette (Manual)

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by NomakeWan View Post
    The stock chip was a 27C256, not a 27C512. Usually when you burn a smaller BIN to a larger chip, you use a technique called "BIN stacking" to duplicate the data (in the case of a 27C512, this would mean burning two copies of the BIN to the chip, stacked on top of one another). This way the entire program space is filled, and you know that the entry vector will be correct.

If you have an ECM that supports 8192 baud ALDL, you could also pull the data by using a Mode 3 request. The program Flashhack by steveo includes the ability to dump ROMs over ALDL from any computer. I used it to dump CCMs from all three of my Corvettes without removing the computers from the car, for example: https://ecmhack.com/flashhack/

But since you have physical access to the chip, using the BURN2 (or any chip burner on the planet) to read it is the correct course of action. Just make sure you actually have the correct chip selected and are reading the correct program data addresses.

ahh, sorry for the typo. thanks for the reply. i didnt know about mode 3 request, interesting.

What would be the correct data addresses for reading from a 27SF512?

Fuel Injected!
    Also I have both a 6395 and a 7427 PCM that i beleive are 8192 baud rate computers

6395 and 7427 is basically the same, they both will run the same code, and both are the same 8192 baud
    No need to re-invent the wheel. But we can make it better

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by ralmo94 View Post
    6395 and 7427 is basically the same, they both will run the same code, and both are the same 8192 baud

Yeah thats what i thought. Do you know the proper addresses to use when reading from a 27SF512 with a moates Burn2? The only way i can manage to pull any kind of seemingly good data off of the chip is to use the stock 27C512 chip addresses for reading the stock chip. However that is for a 64K BIN file and my BIN is only a 4K bin file. Id rather not find out the hard way why that might not be good for some reason. or maybe just some reassurance that i did it the right way.

Thanks, Rob

Fuel Injected!

How do you do a mode 3 request, i think i might probably go that route. I could also possibly retrieve my old bin files from my old laptops hard drive but i think mode 3 or a way to read the 27SF512 flash chip would be a bit easier and simpler. Thanks

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob 689 View Post
    Yeah thats what i thought. Do you know the proper addresses to use when reading from a 27SF512 with a moates Burn2? The only way i can manage to pull any kind of seemingly good data off of the chip is to use the stock 27C512 chip addresses for reading the stock chip. However that is for a 64K BIN file and my BIN is only a 4K bin file. Id rather not find out the hard way why that might not be good for some reason. or maybe just some reassurance that i did it the right way.

Thanks, Rob
    Apologies, I didn't know you had a 7427. That is in fact a 27C512 holding 64 KB of program data, non-stacked. I don't use the BURN2 to read/write chips, I use the TL866, but I have to assume they are similar in operation. So were I in your shoes, I would merely make sure that I had the correct model number for the chip set in the BURN2 software (it does come with software of its own, right?). On the TL866, reading and writing is done simply by telling the software what model number the chip in question is, and it does the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob 689 View Post
    How do you do a mode 3 request, i think i might probably go that route. I could also possibly retrieve my old bin files from my old laptops hard drive but i think mode 3 or a way to read the 27SF512 flash chip would be a bit easier and simpler. Thanks
    Use your ALDL cable of choice to connect your computer to the vehicle's ALDL port. In Flashhack's main menu, select "ALDL Universal Read" and then click Run. By default, Flashhack is configured to address an ECM at ALDL address F4 (which should be correct for you) with a program size of 64KB (which is correct for you). It's also programmed to automatically detect your ALDL cable. So all you should have to do is click "Read Calibration" and that's it. Once the read finishes, click "Save Bin" to save the file.
    1990 Corvette (Manual)
    1995 Corvette (Manual)

Been a little while since I messed with the chip burning to set it all up, everything is always the same as the last time I burned or read a chip, but I believe you jump select what chip you have, you shouldn't have to mess with the addresses other than that unless you have a smaller bin and are stacking.

I never tried flash hack before I thought it was only for F bodies, I want to try that now.
    No need to re-invent the wheel. But we can make it better

Fuel Injected!
    Been a little while since I messed with the chip burning to set it all up, everything is always the same as the last time I burned or read a chip, but I believe you jump select what chip you have, you shouldn't have to mess with the addresses other than that unless you have a smaller bin and are stacking.

I never tried flash hack before I thought it was only for F bodies, I want to try that now.
    Flashhack's main function is for $EE and P66 computers, regardless of body. It also has the ability to dump and write CCMs from 1990-1996 Y-body cars, as well as the ALDL Universal Read function that lets you dump the contents of any device on an ALDL bus regardless of what computer or body the car is. Very, very cool stuff.

EEHack, a sister program, is only for $EE vehicles but works regardless of body type.
    1990 Corvette (Manual)
    1995 Corvette (Manual)

Fuel Injected!

now i have more questions lol what is flash hack?

Also i am running a 4k bin file. unless the stacking happens automatically when you burn the bin with tunerpro i dont think i am bin stacking. I am on a larger chip than what my bin size is tho

Fuel Injected!

keeping the default addresses seems to have worked to read the chip thanks.

You have to intentionally do something to make it stack bins too right? just the normal chip burning within tunerpro wont automatically stack bins will it?

Fuel Injected!
    Apologies, I didn't know you had a 7427. That is in fact a 27C512 holding 64 KB of program data, non-stacked. I don't use the BURN2 to read/write chips, I use the TL866, but I have to assume they are similar in operation. So were I in your shoes, I would merely make sure that I had the correct model number for the chip set in the BURN2 software (it does come with software of its own, right?). On the TL866, reading and writing is done simply by telling the software what model number the chip in question is, and it does the rest.

Use your ALDL cable of choice to connect your computer to the vehicle's ALDL port. In Flashhack's main menu, select "ALDL Universal Read" and then click Run. By default, Flashhack is configured to address an ECM at ALDL address F4 (which should be correct for you) with a program size of 64KB (which is correct for you). It's also programmed to automatically detect your ALDL cable. So all you should have to do is click "Read Calibration" and that's it. Once the read finishes, click "Save Bin" to save the file.
    no the burn2 does not come with its own software, it is however designed to work in conjunction with tunerpro rt and within tunerpro there is a tab labeled tools, > Hardware Utilities, > Moates Prom I/O, and then there is were you do the stuff. I guess that is the moates software but its actually within tunerpro.

is there a way to dump the bin files over the ALDL cable with tunerpro or do i need to find and download flash hack?
    Also its probably worth noting that the 7427 is not the original computer to my truck and i am still running the original sized 4K bin files not 64K bin files

Fuel Injected!
    My original ECM is the 16196396 and is i think if i recall correctly $A9 and i have switched to $0D but my bin file size is still 4k