Thread: P59 OS question

Electronic Ignition!

P59 OS question

Hey everyone, I'm fairly new here. I picked up an 05 Avalanche to yank the 5.3 from. The Pcm is service# 12589463, hardware# 12589162. I can't seem to find an XDF file for the 9162 OS. Can I write over the OS with the 2004 year 7063 OS? This may seem like a stupid question, but I just don't want to brick my Pcm by doing something wrong.

Fuel Injected!
    i dont think 12589162 is the OS ID. That is the hardware ID.

you would have to actually pull the BIN and look at it with universal patcher or heck just do "Read properties" with PCM hammer and it will tell you what the OS ID is.

Fuel Injected!
    for an '05 drive by wire, most likely OS is 12592618 which you can find an xdf for on pcmhacking.net

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcratchet555 View Post
    for an '05 drive by wire, most likely OS is 12592618 which you can find an xdf for on pcmhacking.net
    I appreciate the info! I had thought you could tell the OS by the decal on the Pcm. It's been a while since I've done this stuff. I'll have to take a ride over to where the Avalanche is, and take the Pcm out so I can plug into it to read. Fingers crossed it's the 2618 OS. It would be nice not to have to change much.

Electronic Ignition!
    Just wanted to say thank you, I walked through three feet of snow to get to the donor vehicle, pulled the pcm, and you were correct.. it was the 2618 OS. Got the vats shut off, hopefully torque management disabled, and a bunch of DTC enablers shut off.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernMainer View Post
    Just wanted to say thank you, I walked through three feet of snow to get to the donor vehicle, pulled the pcm, and you were correct.. it was the 2618 OS. Got the vats shut off, hopefully torque management disabled, and a bunch of DTC enablers shut off.
    Disabling torque management is beyond dumb, I wish people would stop suggesting it, and is a great way to destroy a 4L60E quickly.

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    Disabling torque management is beyond dumb, I wish people would stop suggesting it, and is a great way to destroy a 4L60E quickly.
    You'd be correct.. if I was using a 4l60. The swap is going in a 71 Nova with a 4 speed Muncie. So I'd much rather not have torque management. Thanks for your reply though I guess.

Fuel Injected!
    glad to help.

FWIW, i have had good results with manual/non electronic auto swaps by using the stock automatic tune and disabling all the transmission diagnostics and torque management. i would also bump the idle speeds up some, say 800 rpm

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernMainer View Post
    You'd be correct.. if I was using a 4l60. The swap is going in a 71 Nova with a 4 speed Muncie. So I'd much rather not have torque management. Thanks for your reply though I guess.
    In that case you would want a manual trans engine tune to start. I would start with a 5.7L Manual calibration for a GTO or CTSV and copy the 5.3L engine settings into it.

When you said you harvested the engine from a donor vehicle, I assumed the transmission too.

There are some tuning guides that tell people to disable torque management and with a 4L60E it is one of the quickest ways to shred that transmissions. I did not want to see you blow one up following bad advice.

Electronic Ignition!
    glad to help.

FWIW, i have had good results with manual/non electronic auto swaps by using the stock automatic tune and disabling all the transmission diagnostics and torque management. i would also bump the idle speeds up some, say 800 rpm
    I'll go in, and bump the idle up a little bit, thanks for the tip!

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    In that case you would want a manual trans engine tune to start. I would start with a 5.7L Manual calibration for a GTO or CTSV and copy the 5.3L engine settings into it.

When you said you harvested the engine from a donor vehicle, I assumed the transmission too.

There are some tuning guides that tell people to disable torque management and with a 4L60E it is one of the quickest ways to shred that transmissions. I did not want to see you blow one up following bad advice.
    If I wind up having trouble with trying to run the stock tune I'll look into a tune that has a manual. I disabled everything to do with running checks for the transmission anyway. I have a pulse generator I'm going to bolt to the M20 so the pcm sees a signal of some sort so it doesn't stall when I let off the throttle while cruising.