Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Moates Burn2, Ostrich2, G1, G2, or Memcal adapters, chips, sockets &more?

Fuel Injected!

Looking for Moates Burn2, Ostrich2, G1, G2, or Memcal adapters, chips, sockets &more?

Would like to take a second to introduce ourselves! We have been around mostly in the Honda tuning realm for quite some time and provided parts and services locally to us, we also have done a decent amount of online sales over the years and were also moates.net customers for years! We also have a background in electronics and software development, on top of all the car stuff!

With the news of them retiring and closing down shop, we for one... Needed products/parts to sell to our customers, so we started off by making a replacement for the greatest, simplest, compact, portable and durable burner there was (the Moates burn2) In December 2022 We went from proto to shipping burners in Jan 2023 and from there we have been trying to expand our lineup of offerings for GM customers.

Currently we have:

BoostedNW Burner ( Moates burn2 replacement )
    BoostedNW GM ALDL - USB Datalogger - Just in stock and ready to ship as of today! ( Moates Xtreme ALDL Replacement)
    BoostedNW Memcal Adapter Header - (Moates HDR1 replacement)
    BoostedNW GM1 Adapter - ( Moates G1 replacement )
    BoostedNW GM2 Adapter - ( Moates G2 replacement )

Those are the Moates replacement GM specific stuff we have added so far, we also carry a lot of other chipping/socketing related parts and provide MAIL-IN ECM Installation services for the GM ECM's where you have to de-solder the stock UV EPROM ( for customers that are not comfortable de-soldering and soldering adapter in)

We are also in the middle of development on a Moates Ostrich2 Like replacement as well as other Emulators. (follow us on social media to stay up to date, official username everywhere: BoostedNW )

We are also getting these parts, assembling & testing right here in house, IN the USA! We also strive to answer as many questions as we can and fully support our products!

We look forward to assisting everyone we can with any questions or products! Also.. any product suggestions let us know!
    OBD1 HONDA, GM, Chip Burner(like moates burn2), Emulation (like moates ostrich2)- IN STOCK, Adapters(like moates G1 & G2, Memcal) & More Tuning Parts and Accessories @ BoostedNW.com

Fuel Injected!
    I'm new to this and still reading/catching up.

so I missed the boat on moates (I mean it makes sense that dude is tired and wanted to retire...could have at least sold the company) but you took up the mantle so yay!

do you have an ostrich equivalent? at least I think thats what I want?

ostrich you just plug into the soldered ecu socket on the 7747 memcal slot and live tune your data. then once happy, you download it, unhook the ostrich....burn with a burn2 to the chip that you then toss into your chipped ecu? yeah. sounds about right...or horribly wrong haha

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by stackz View Post
    I'm new to this and still reading/catching up.

so I missed the boat on moates (I mean it makes sense that dude is tired and wanted to retire...could have at least sold the company) but you took up the mantle so yay!

do you have an ostrich equivalent? at least I think thats what I want?

ostrich you just plug into the soldered ecu socket on the 7747 memcal slot and live tune your data. then once happy, you download it, unhook the ostrich....burn with a burn2 to the chip that you then toss into your chipped ecu? yeah. sounds about right...or horribly wrong haha
    You got it, that's exactly what happens. Ostrich is what's known as an "EPROM emulator," in that it is able to pretend to be a standard EPROM chip, but one that is able to change the values it has in memory on the fly, allowing for real-time tuning of EPROM-based computers. Once you have the tune the way you like it, then you burn the appropriate chip for your ECM and install it and off you go. That's exactly what I did with my '90 Corvette.

Note however that the '7747 requires two things that are a little special. For one, to use an Ostrich or other 27C256-alike EPROM emulator, you need what Moates referred to as a "Socket Booster." This is because the pin count is different between the Ostrich, which is designed to emulate a 27C256, which is a 28-pin chip, and the 2732A in a '7747, which is a 24-pin chip.

And as you may have guessed already, it also means you need a handful of 2732A EPROM chips to do that final burn once you're satisfied. Unfortunately they're a bit harder to come by than the 27C256.

Now, as for the Ostrich replacement, BoostedNW seems to have one available for preorder: https://boostednw.com/emulation/boos...ltime-emulator

Unfortunately it does not look like they have a Socket Booster replacement available at this time. That said, they do have a G2 equivalent, which does allow connecting 28-pin chips/emulators to a 2732A socket like on the '7747: https://boostednw.com/chips-and-adpt...er-replacement

Getting that adapter would allow you to use much more modern and readily-available 28-pin EPROM and EEPROM chips as well.

Best of luck in your search.

EDIT: For BoostedNW, once you've cut your teeth on figuring out the magic behind an EPROM Emulator, any chance you'd be willing to try your hand at making a replacement for the GM NVRAM and NVSRAM boards?

https://web.archive.org/web/20150316....html?cPath=64
    https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-...730-727-a.html

While being able to use my Ostrich in my '730 has been great, I gotta admit it would be spectacular to be able to do it through my ALDL port like I do for my '94-'95 Corvette and leave the ECM nice and sealed in the engine bay.
    Last edited by NomakeWan; 03-31-2023 at 10:18 PM.
    1990 Corvette (Manual)
    1994 Corvette (Automatic)
    1995 Corvette (Manual)

Fuel Injected!
    I just paid for the already adapted 7747 ecu from the guy in the 454 for sale thread on here so I think I'm ostrich ready? well, once that ecu gets to me that is hah.

Fuel Injected!
    I just paid for the already adapted 7747 ecu from the guy in the 454 for sale thread on here so I think I'm ostrich ready? well, once that ecu gets to me that is hah.
    Oh, just saw that. Then yes, since it's already adapted to use a 27C512, an Ostrich or similar emulator will work on it just fine.
    1990 Corvette (Manual)
    1995 Corvette (Manual)

Fuel Injected!

do you have an ostrich equivalent?

Soon! trying our best to get everything ASAP and get to market like we did with the Burner and ALDL, etc

and Yes you should be able to use an ostrich2/equivalent emulator with that ECM after doing the things NomakeWan described above
    OBD1 HONDA, GM, Chip Burner(like moates burn2), Emulation (like moates ostrich2)- IN STOCK, Adapters(like moates G1 & G2, Memcal) & More Tuning Parts and Accessories @ BoostedNW.com

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by NomakeWan View Post

Unfortunately it does not look like they have a Socket Booster replacement available at this time.
    Working on this as well

Quote Originally Posted by NomakeWan View Post
    EDIT: For BoostedNW, once you've cut your teeth on figuring out the magic behind an EPROM Emulator, any chance you'd be willing to try your hand at making a replacement for the GM NVRAM and NVSRAM boards?

Sure thing, we're open to re creating whatever is still in need so we are open to suggestions!

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by jlowens76 View Post
    Working on this as well
    Sure thing, we're open to re creating whatever is still in need so we are open to suggestions!
    Woohoo and a party! That's super exciting stuff. Even before Moates closed their doors they had stopped selling NVRAM/NVSRAM stuff, so having another domestic provider would be siiiiick. I'd even nab one for my '90!
    1990 Corvette (Manual)
    1995 Corvette (Manual)

Fuel Injected!
    Will your emulator work out of the box with TunerPro RT? I had the cash ready to buy an Ostrich right as they were discontinued, boo. It's nice to see somebody making these tools available.
    1995 K1500, Cadillac 500 TBI with 4L80E swap. 7427 PCM and 454 TBI.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by mihela View Post
    Will your emulator work out of the box with TunerPro RT? I had the cash ready to buy an Ostrich right as they were discontinued, boo. It's nice to see somebody making these tools available.
    Yes it will, we worked to get our burner integrated into TunerPRO RT and will do the same with the emulator!

Any plans to expand into Ford EEC-IV products?

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulse_GTO View Post
    Any plans to expand into Ford EEC-IV products?
    Eventually if there is still a need (i.e. someone hasn't already came up with another solution) by the time we are done with other things we have in development

Fuel Injected!
    Thank you for picking up the ball after Moates put it down. I have purchased a lot of products from them over the years. I wish they would've given their customers a heads up.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    Thank you for picking up the ball after Moates put it down. I have purchased a lot of products from them over the years. I wish they would've given their customers a heads up.
    Thanks for the appreciation! We are glad and trying to do what we can. We had a new burner and adapters out in about a month after the news! Yes it was unfortunate it was so abrupt, we also purchased many things from moates over the years, and re sold many things as well. So since we wanted to continue selling things to our customers we had to find new sources, or make replacements to items!

We are here to stay and provide all the different tools, adapters, and chips we can for many years to come for everyone's projects!

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by jlowens76 View Post
    Eventually if there is still a need (i.e. someone hasn't already came up with another solution) by the time we are done with other things we have in development
    please start with the quarter horse when you get into ford stuff. its badly badly needed and will honestly probably sell like hot cakes. used quarter horses are being treated like gold now. ford eec-iv guys need you! lol.