Thread: New from NW Ohio

Carb and Points!

New from NW Ohio

I just found this forum and am psyched to dig into it. I have a 1982 Olds delta 88 that is presently getting a large modification infusion. The very tired, original Olds 307 engine, with the computer controlled carburetor, has been removed and a rebuilt Chevy TBI 350 from a '93 Suburban is awaiting installation. The automatic 200 4R transmission will be replaced by a 5 speed OD manual transmission (NV3500) from a '96 Blazer. I hope to learn how to modify the ECM to make it manual transmission friendly.

Rob S

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Will you be using the TBI computer from the 93 Suburban?

Carb and Points!
    Dave,

I didn't get the ECM from the Suburban, unfortunately, just the engine was available. So, I've been collecting TBI ECMs and sensors where ever I can find them, usually from similar year pickups. I chose the Suburban engine because the block was roller cam ready and had the engine rebuilt with an ECM friendly roller cam from Comp. Just for giggles, I had full roller rockers installed on the heads which necessitated the use of tall valve covers. The tall covers had an issue with the battery post on the alternator, so I had the alternator re-clocked when the alternator was rebuilt. Now, it looks like there will be an issue with the tall covers and the vacuum brake booster... the driver side cover will just clear the booster, but I won't be able to remove the cover. I really should learn to get my giggles elsewhere.

Rob S

Welcome! I have built many g-body cars over the years. The last one was a Regal that i built for my wife . I put a chevy 350 in it from a van and it was one of her favorite cars ever. They are great platforms to build on and there are plenty of options depending on if you are building it for the street or the strip.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
    Dave,

I didn't get the ECM from the Suburban, unfortunately, just the engine was available. So, I've been collecting TBI ECMs and sensors where ever I can find them, usually from similar year pickups. I chose the Suburban engine because the block was roller cam ready and had the engine rebuilt with an ECM friendly roller cam from Comp. Just for giggles, I had full roller rockers installed on the heads which necessitated the use of tall valve covers. The tall covers had an issue with the battery post on the alternator, so I had the alternator re-clocked when the alternator was rebuilt. Now, it looks like there will be an issue with the tall covers and the vacuum brake booster... the driver side cover will just clear the booster, but I won't be able to remove the cover. I really should learn to get my giggles elsewhere.

Rob S
    I decided on 1.6 ratio roller tip rocker arms, that fit under the factory center bolt valve covers, instead of full roller rocker arms for my 93 GMC Pickup. I'm using a factory TPI roller camshaft in my GMC, which works nicely with the 1.6 ratio roller tip rocker arms.

dave w

Carb and Points!
    Dave, if I knew something about ECM programming, I would have gotten a bit more liberal with the engine rebuild. Actually, I intend for the final phase of my Delta 88 project to change out the engine one last time and make it an Olds 350 operating with the TBI from the Chevy. I'm sure that there will need to be ECM fine tuning for the Olds 350, so I'd like to get some experience with the Chevy 350.

85Z28NOS, I often wish that I had started out with a G-body instead of a B-body. Just just so much more available for the G-bodies out there. Things are scarce for the '77-'96 B-bodies; if it weren't for the '94-'96 Chevy Impala SS, there probably wouldn't be anything at all.
    Last week I hit paydirt in the B-body handling department when I found impalassforum.com on the net. My '82 Olds shares a frame and suspension that is little different from the later B-bodies, so many suspension upgrades for the Impala SS will work on my Delta 88. And like this forum, the amount of information over there is staggering. What started out as an engine swap, now has my Olds stripped to the bare frame because there will be handling modifications to the frame after I get it sandblasted.
    What I envision for my Olds is this: 350 ci engine under ECM control, manual 5 speed OD transmission, and a Detroit Truetrac positraction rear with a 3.42 ratio. I also want suspension upgrades; I already have installed the front and rear Caprice cop car sway bars and what a difference they made to the car's handling. I intend to beef up the chassis by boxing the frame rails and adding the front and rear crossmembers that GM should have done. In the end, I'm shooting for what I call a Delta 88 SS.
    There's a lot to do and at the rate I seem to get things done, I'll probably have to come back from the dead to finish it.

Oh, and thanks for the welcome, guys, I appreciate it.

Rob S

Quote Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
    In the end, I'm shooting for what I call a Delta 88 SS.
    Rob S
    Nice!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-