Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P59 L31 Calibration Issues

Fuel Injected!

P59 L31 Calibration Issues

I have been running my 383 based on a L31 with a P59 using the 618 OS for a while now. I have run into two calibration problems that I would like to resolve.

#1) The AC will not work. I swapped to a GMT610 segment. The PCM reports the vehicle as AC equipped. The PCM sees the AC request. If the PCM has just been flashed it will enable the AC clutch for about 3 seconds. Then it will not re-enable the ac until a reflash. AC system works great with an 0411 in it and the system is wired correctly. I can enable the AC with Bi-Directional cpntrols. The PCM is not throwing a flag for the AC disabled due to WOT or Pressure.

#2)It will only use the Base Idle table and LTIT learned cells for Drive even if it is in Park/Neutral.
    Last edited by Fast355; 02-27-2023 at 10:44 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    After more research, I finally found a thread on LS1Tech that went over the P59 and A/C request settings. Halfway through the post there was a guy having the same issue I am having. The PCM sees the request, enables the compressor but shuts down the compressor within seconds. Turns out if you are converting from an application that had an actual pressure sensor to the basic 2 switch system, you have to disable P0530 by setting it to "NO ERROR REPORTED". The PCM interprets the missing pressure sensor signal as low refrigerant. Basically if you have the pressure sensor, P0530 needs to be set to "NO MIL" and if you have the High/Low pressure switches wired up you need P0530 set to "NO ERROR REPORTED". I have spent two afternoons messing with the thing. I have not tested it yet, however based off his results and post I believe that to be the A/C issue.

As for problem #2, I was looking for a P59 L31/Automatic file rather than a L31/Manual file, but it looks like GM possibly never offered the P59/L31 combination in anything but a Manual transmission truck. Something on the Engine side of the code is set to ignore anything to do with Park/Neutral air flow despite having copied values into every air flow and filter table I found associated and not populated using Universal Patcher. I have segment swapped the 4L80E transmission, transmission diagnostics, fuel system as well as System calibration from a 2005 GMT610 into the 2005 GMT800 5.7L L31 calibration. I had to re-enable the Low-Resolution crank sensor bit, disable the PRNDL so that the PCM would use the one in the valve body, and turn off the VATS. Runs and drives great, just want it to properly control the idle without dipping when I throw it into gear or jumping up when I throw it in park. I am assuming it is probably 1 calibration bit that is currently un-defined in the PCM coding.
    Last edited by Fast355; 02-27-2023 at 09:19 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Did you look at this parameter,
    Type_Of_Discrete_Gear_Select
    It defines the prndl switch being used.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by kur4o View Post
    Did you look at this parameter,
    Type_Of_Discrete_Gear_Select
    It defines the prndl switch being used.
    I have. Set the same way as my 0411 was. No Switch. My van has never had the 4 wires to the PCM off the PRNDL. When the 4L60E and 4L80E are in use on an 0411 and No Switch is selected the 0411 uses the MPS mounted on the valve body to know what gear is selected. Just this evening, I found some transmission error codes that were not enabled the way GM had them enabled on the 2005 6.0L Van calibration I snagged the segments out of. I enabled those DTCs the same way. My L31/4L80E 0411 had the same DTCs enabled as well. Hopefully those missing or rather wrong DTC settings fix this issue as well.

The head scratching moment is the thing is using the MPS to run the transmission. I can manually select all gears and the transmission side of the code works perfectly with No Switch. It is just the engine side of the code that is currently confused. It cannot access the Park/Neutral idle air flow or idle spark tables. I had no issue getting it to do a Crank Relearn either.

I will reflash it with the new changes in the morning and post the results.
    Last edited by Fast355; 02-27-2023 at 10:48 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    This may also affect issue #2
    Clutch_Switch_Type

What tables it needs to switch between, I may trace them in disassembly to see if there is any conditions that needs to be met.

Fuel Injected!
    This may also affect issue #2
    Clutch_Switch_Type

What tables it needs to switch between, I may trace them in disassembly to see if there is any conditions that needs to be met.
    Needs to switch between the Base Running Airflow P/N and Drive as well as the Idle Spark Tables and adaptive learn for both. Double checked the clutch switch, same setting on the Mexican L31 is used in both the 0411 L31 file and the 2005 6.0L van. At the moment it is treating everything as being in Drive.

A/C is now working like it should. It also cycles as needed.

Fuel Injected!
    Can you get some addresses for this tables for some OS, It will make it easier to track in disassembly.

Fuel Injected!
    Can you log pid 1113 and check for status position when changing between gears.

Fuel Injected!
    Can you log pid 1113 and check for status position when changing between gears.
    I will sit down this evening and get some addresses of the relevant tables.

Fuel Injected!
    Pid 1113 is bit encoded with gear position. We need to test it first for proper operation. If all is good it must be some settings, timers and so on that needs populated. It is also possible some changes are done to later 2005+ OS.

Fuel Injected!
    Pid 1113 is bit encoded with gear position. We need to test it first for proper operation. If all is good it must be some settings, timers and so on that needs populated. It is also possible some changes are done to later 2005+ OS.
    I will try to get the PID logged as well.

I am hoping i can get it all resolved without adding the 4 wires to the external range sensor. On swaps I typically do not use the range sensor as it creates clearence issues in tight transmission tunnels. If I can get this P59 to behave correctly it means that I can take a Manual calibration and swap an Automatic in and vice versa.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    I will try to get the PID logged as well.

I am hoping i can get it all resolved without adding the 4 wires to the external range sensor. On swaps I typically do not use the range sensor as it creates clearence issues in tight transmission tunnels. If I can get this P59 to behave correctly it means that I can take a Manual calibration and swap an Automatic in and vice versa.
    PID 1113 shows On/Off and does change states when the shifter is moved with the engine running. I should have responded earlier when it was on my mind, but IIRC it shows On in Park/Neutral and Off in R, D,3,2 &1.

Fuel Injected!
    So it must be some timers to blame. 1113 is bit encoded per each position of shift lever, so I need to figure full mapping of that pid. It looks it works to some extent.
    In code it only checks the Transmission type if set to 2[manual] or 3[non-electric auto].

Fuel Injected!
    So it must be some timers to blame. 1113 is bit encoded per each position of shift lever, so I need to figure full mapping of that pid. It looks it works to some extent.
    In code it only checks the Transmission type if set to 2[manual] or 3[non-electric auto].
    After some more searching and comparing, I finally figured it out. Turns out some of the DTCs related to the 4L80E were still turned off in the engine calibration. Once those DTCs were enabled the PCM now reads the manifold pressure switches correctly to select the correct Base Idle Airflow table as well as the correct trim tables. The scanner shows the correct gear selected when I log it with HP Tuners. It seems some of the code in this PCM references whether or not the DTC is applicable before it will enable various things. Lesson learned, when you are doing a segment swap, the DTC table will not be changed since it is in the Engine Diagnostic section. Both the AC and Park/Neutral switch problems were related to DTCs not properly disabled/enabled for the setup being run. I spent over an hour going through each and every DTC setting between my tune file and a stock 2005 Express van file double checking the DTCs were appropriate for my setup.

I just bought a 5 pack of Pheonix 8 pin connectors that match my HP Tuners Pro interface to input the AEM Wideband into my interface. Pack of 5 on Amazon was half the price of what HP Tuners wants for a single connector. Going to really scrutinize the VE and MAF tables and then work on the transient fuel some more. HP Tuners Transient tables are actually modifying addresses that are not defined in the XDF I have. Now I know why transient tuning is so erratic on these P01s and P59s. Seems there are about 10 transient fuel tables all together. HP Tuners only has 4 of them defined. The 4 they have defined are not present in the XDF I am using currently. I wish I had the knowledge on this code to really go through and follow the whole routine to know what the various tables and multipliers were actually doing. Tuning the transients blindly make me wish I had a Q-Jet on this thing it lean stumbles so badly at times.
    Last edited by Fast355; 03-05-2023 at 09:29 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    -Carl