Thread: Convert 7747 to later model pcm with obd2

Fuel Injected!

Convert 7747 to later model pcm with obd2

Hey guys

I'm sort of an old school tbi guy and working on my 78 jeep j10 with gm HEI that I converted over to a 7747 12 years ago. It's worked great, but is now giving me trouble. Life happened and I have not kept up with anything tbi related in years.

I would like to start with a fresh rewire and end up with a later model pcm that I can program with my HP tuner. I'd like to retain my existing throttle body and sensors if that is even possible.

Can someone point me in the right direction? I have a 98 k30 with the stock pcm and I'm wondering if that would be a good one to use? If I could use that, then I have a spare for both trucks when I tow the jeep to the trails.

Thanks in advance!

Generally, OBD2 is port injection / one injector per cylinder.

Perhaps converting the J10 to an intake with one injector per cylinder is needed for OBD2?

There is a hack to run OBD2 with crank trigger only, still requires a distributor using an OBD2 ignition module:

YouTube videos . . . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQf9th9lcbA . . . . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk3pvxJtYyU

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    Generally, OBD2 is port injection / one injector per cylinder.

Perhaps converting the J10 to an intake with one injector per cylinder is needed for OBD2?

There is a hack to run OBD2 with crank trigger only, still requires a distributor using an OBD2 ignition module:

YouTube videos . . . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQf9th9lcbA . . . . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk3pvxJtYyU
    thanks

My J10 is running AMC 360 with an aftermarket HEI dizzy with 7 pin ignition module and of course, 2 barrel GM TBI powered by the 7747 that I soldered in a zif socket like 12 years ago. It's a 100% pure offroad rig (tons, 42's atlas 4 speed, nv4500, etc). I'm currently facing a 'no start' issue that I have narrowed down to the pickup coil.

Since I'm working on the rig, I though that maybe things had progressed to the point where I could run a later PCM and hack it to fire the 2 barrel TBI. Guess not.

I have a 7247 PCM that's been sitting in my shop for years. Is there a way to flash a 7247 without having to solder on it? I just read that Moates retired. Good for him, but that sucks for us!

Fuel Injected!

Fuel Injected!
    thanks guys. seems like I should forget about the whole obd2 thing and just get that adapter and repin my harness for the 7427. This all came about because of a 'no start, no spark, no injector pulse' issue and got me to thinking that my old 7747 that I soldered 12 years ago could (or has) failed. This is a dedicated offroad rig that gets abused.

I was really hoping that after all these years, it had became 'mainstream' to use a late model PCM. Guess there aren't that many folks out there with a regular TBI, so no demand.

Electronic Ignition!
    For a more modern / faster processor that can drive TBI have a look at this guy. I have a different one of his units on a V6 3rd Gen Camaro and it is 100% better than the old ECU. I had to wait a few months but, these are literally 'Plug & play'. There is a lean burn option to increase MPG too.

www.dynamicefi.com/EBL_Flash.php

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blake View Post
    thanks

My J10 is running AMC 360 with an aftermarket HEI dizzy with 7 pin ignition module and of course, 2 barrel GM TBI powered by the 7747 that I soldered in a zif socket like 12 years ago. It's a 100% pure offroad rig (tons, 42's atlas 4 speed, nv4500, etc). I'm currently facing a 'no start' issue that I have narrowed down to the pickup coil.

Since I'm working on the rig, I though that maybe things had progressed to the point where I could run a later PCM and hack it to fire the 2 barrel TBI. Guess not.

I have a 7247 PCM that's been sitting in my shop for years. Is there a way to flash a 7247 without having to solder on it? I just read that Moates retired. Good for him, but that sucks for us!

Yes as TriumphR3 noted, we have re-created the adapters that moates used to make @ https://boostednw.com/index.php?rout...arch&search=GM, as well as chip reader/burner and ALDL Datalogging units.

Quote Originally Posted by btcpj62 View Post
    Yes as TriumphR3 noted, we have re-created the adapters that moates used to make @ https://boostednw.com/index.php?rout...arch&search=GM, as well as chip reader/burner and ALDL Datalogging units.
    This is welcomed news, received with mixed emotions. Many of us have fond memories of using Moates.net products and feel emotions similar to a loss of a close friend. (We can't talk about or do the things like we did the last we got together). I'm optimistic Boosted will be able to fill the "huge void" left by the absence of Moates.net and become friends too.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    This is welcomed news, received with mixed emotions. Many of us have fond memories of using Moates.net products and feel emotions similar to a loss of a close friend. (We can't talk about or do the things like we did the last we got together). I'm optimistic Boosted will be able to fill the "huge void" left by the absence of Moates.net and become friends too.
    Very understandable! Many feel the same way is what we have experienced so far... also many are grateful that there's still a solution for their pending products that upon hearing the news thought they were going to have no option other than way more expensive newer solutions. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke2UsBc8zWo being one of them! ) We aim to provide whatever we can for the long term, and come up with new replacement solutions (like the ostrich and aldl units that people are still heavily looking for) we have replacements for the ALDL datalogger units arriving tomorrow, and Ostrich2 like device in development and nearing completion! As well, we aim to offer top notch product support! ( and have so far according to the few that have needed assistance).

We look forward to the future and helping get peoples projects the stuff they need to get tuned!
    OBD1 HONDA, GM, Chip Burner(like moates burn2), Emulation (like moates ostrich2)- IN STOCK, Adapters(like moates G1 & G2, Memcal) & More Tuning Parts and Accessories @ BoostedNW.com

Fuel Injected!
    Glad to hear you picked up the slack :) I was thinking of making some boards to help, but I don't generally like talking to people
    -Carl