Thread: Water temperature sending unit

Electronic Ignition!

Water temperature sending unit

Hello, I have question concerning the LS1 water temperature sending unit. I know that is wired in to the ECU but will it work with standard water temperature gauges if is wired to those gauges?

Quote Originally Posted by soffenbecher View Post
    Hello, I have question concerning the LS1 water temperature sending unit. I know that is wired in to the ECU but will it work with standard water temperature gauges if is wired to those gauges?
    The ECU receives signal from the sender that is screwed into the driver's side cylinder head. This signal will not work with aftermarket or factory dash gauges.
    Some people have used the 1998 LS1 F-Body 3-wire sender successfully with their factory dash gauge, but you may want to make sure that it is compatible with your application.

Electronic Ignition!
    After reading your response and rereading my question i don't think i asked the correct question. What if I spliced in to the signal wire between the sending unit and the ECU?

Fuel Injected!
    Hiya,
    It's a thermistor. If you tap into it, you will change the input to anything it is hooked to. Quick answer is no, you cannot use it to feed two receivers. Very few data acquisition systems will have a million to 1 input as to not skew the other intended output/input.

p.s. If you need to add an aftermarket gauge there are quite a few options including some that you can cut and put into the upper radiator hose. There is the plug at the rear of the passenger head. That can be removed and use an adapter like this one. https://www.autometer.com/ls-install-kit.html
    Last edited by In-Tech; 02-23-2023 at 10:29 PM.
    -Carl

Electronic Ignition!
    Thank you all for your input. I think I have found the work around, adding a second old school type sensor at the rear of the right head for the old style gauge.