Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corvette 6E bin with 4+3 transmission(1987)

Carb and Points!

Corvette 6E bin with 4+3 transmission(1987)

Hi...

Is there something to think about when using a 6E.bin from a manual corvette -89 in a corvette -87 with a 4+3 transmission?
    or would it be better to use one from a Auto-transmission?

Only thinking of getting the transmissin to work properly........

/N.

Administrator
    This is a memory test, no? Somewhere along the line Chevrolet changed the shifting parameters some. There are web pages which will detail this as well as other 4+3 trans info. There may be subtle differences in how fans or A/C operate (normally open or closed switches). I have switched later cals into early cars before but there always seems to be an unexpected gotcha.

Carb and Points!
    I was mosty thinking of If I should start with a bin from a auto or manual when using the 4+3 transmission.

yeah, I know about the switches for the fans/AC ;)

The car is a callaway TT and it uses a 32b bin file, I would like to use a 6E for it instead since the def.file is much better.

I'd sure like to see some pictures of the Callaway TT?

There's a guy working on a new $6E XDF which will be a great improvement, but is $6E really a good mask for turbos? Wouldn't an ECM swap to one that handles boost be better? Pretty sure they are plug in swaps to avoid any destruction of a collectable car.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Super Moderator
    6E can handle boost so long as the MAF will read up to the range you need it to.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    I'd sure like to see some pictures of the Callaway TT?There's a guy working on a new $6E XDF which will be a great improvement, but is $6E really a good mask for turbos? Wouldn't an ECM swap to one that handles boost be better? Pretty sure they are plug in swaps to avoid any destruction of a collectable car.
    It uses a 32b.bin as stock, and under boost it has a "add on" system to handle the fuel, spark is controlled with the ECM.The reason is that the owner have bought bigger injectors so I need to tweak the stock chip for bigger injectors and then the fueling under boost will be handled with the "add on" system.Otherwise I think $59 is the best for boosted TPI setups if you like to keep a GM ECM ;) but this is a stock Callaway car and I dont think he would like to do a ECM swap right now anyway....

I understand not wanting to hac up a rare car! Since the add on system handles the add on boost, changes for injectors should not be hard to handle with $32b. No one has ever taken the time to improve $32b which is surprising as it came in cars that you would expect these advancements.

In a professional situation such as this it may be better to use the TunerCat $32b def?

-= =-

Carb and Points!
    Tunercat I havent used in years ;) ... but their def is not the best either, anyhow I found a expanded 32b file now I will go through.
    Trans am GTA -89Procharged 415cui SBC, running $59....4L80E Transmission

Administrator
    The Calloway cars benefit from improvements in driveablilty.

If you change masks you will have best results starting with a manual trans cal. But it just dawned on me to remind you that '89 manual cals are for a six speed and won't operate the 4+3 shift solenoid properly. If you're going to use $6E be sure it's from a 4+3.

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    The Calloway cars benefit from improvements in driveablilty.

If you change masks you will have best results starting with a manual trans cal. But it just dawned on me to remind you that '89 manual cals are for a six speed and won't operate the 4+3 shift solenoid properly. If you're going to use $6E be sure it's from a 4+3.
    The callaway bin file doesnt seems to be changed very much from a stock bin :\ ..... I havent found any 6E.bins for a 4+3 transmission?

Not sure if $6E had a 4+3? Would the $32b extended not do what you need?
    Attached Files Attached Files

-= =-

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Not sure if $6E had a 4+3? Would the $32b extended not do what you need?
    thx, I already found it earlier today over at thirdgen, will look into it this weekend ;) it has alot more than tunercat have.......

thx :)

Administrator
    Last year for 4+3 was 88. Cals include ABTP and ABTZ. Unfortunately they are $32.

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    Last year for 4+3 was 88. Cals include ABTP and ABTZ. Unfortunately they are $32.
    OK, I will use the callaway as a starter bin and change it, and will go through the hac to see what the "not def" changes are using the 32b extended........

/N.

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    6E can handle boost so long as the MAF will read up to the range you need it to.
    I agree.

Here's an example implementation.

If you look closely, you can see the MAF just upsteam of the throttle body coupler. In this case its $32B based code running in a 165 ecm with 765 gm/sec range. Its also a 4+3 car. The same approach could easily be done with a Callaway if you would prefer an integrated fueling and tuning solution.