Thread: Intro

Carb and Points!

Intro

Checking in as requested...

As for me, I go pretty far back (DIY-EFI, GMECM, WBO2, etc) but haven't been active lately.

Have a couple of EBL units with Moates Ostrich emulators.
    Love those systems. Only have one in service currently.

Recently purchased an LT1, so I'm back for more tools. You guys have made enormous progress. Thanks for organizing a forum and continuing to share.

-greg

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole Knot View Post
    Recently purchased an LT1, so I'm back for more tools. You guys have made enormous progress.
    The $EE definition files developed by jthompson, dzidaV8, kur4o, and steveo are several steps ahead of TunerCAT's $EE version DO.
    Between their newer definition files, and what $EEhack is capable of, you'll have loads of fun tuning your LT1.
    THEY are NOT Lying to You.
    You are NOT Even Lying to Yourself.
    You ARE Being Lied to ... by Your SELF.
    The Last Psychiatrist, aka ... Alone ...

Fuel Injected!

As for me, I go pretty far back (DIY-EFI, GMECM, WBO2, etc) but haven't been active lately.

Recently purchased an LT1, so I'm back for more tools. You guys have made enormous progress. Thanks for organizing a forum and continuing to share.

-greg
    were you around during the ohio state majordomo?
    -Carl

Fuel Injected!

-greg
    Last LT1 I setup was a 96 and I used a P59 to run it.

Carb and Points!
    The newer definition file is exactly what landed me here. Looking forward to it!

Most likely was on the majordomo list too. I witnessed, but attempted to stay out of, at least a half dozen list forkups. Nothing wrong with the software or its management FWIW.

This one is garden variety, all original as best as I can tell, with an 8051. If Summit will ever ship my pistons I'll reassemble and hopefully play with the next generation. My goals are simple, I think. OEM parts, delete AIR, VATS, and EGR. Until curiosity and turd polishing tendencies take over. :)

Carb and Points!
    A month later and I finally have pistons. RockAuto, FTW.

Meanwhile, I've taken on the bench programmer to make desired tweaks for convenience and preventative maintenance. Historically at least, when EGR was commanded the timing was also advanced. This led to denotation in older systems. Since I'm deleting the EGR hardware, I intend to disable it in the PCM to be sure commanded EGR doesn't advance timing.

After multiple failures and persistence, I'm not sure if I have more questions or answers, but my bench harness is working, mostly, I think.

Both my 95 Caprice wagon PCM wiring and the 95 Roadmaster sedan PCM wiring I saved from the boneyard were pinned with data = D29 going to ALDL pin M (12 pin/OBD1, last pin). Practically every reference I've found shows D30 to ALDL pin 9 (on the 16 pin OBD2 style connector). Even the diagram showing both 12 and 16 pin connections says D30.

I don't know if D29 and D30 are tied together internally, or software selectable, or just flat wrong from the factory in *both* my harnesses, but I'm finally communicating with wiring pinned from PCM blue 30 (D30) to ALDL M...exactly as suggested by almost every reference here. You folks are most appreciated. As I've heard so many times, "thank you 'til you're better paid!"

FWIW -- both are 8051 PCMs. BCC=BMDW for the Caprice Wagon. If you guys want to add my bins to a collection, just point me in the right direction. I looked but not hard enough to find the repository.

Administrator
    Well howdy. Thank you for joining the group.

Your signature looks familiar. Did you once have a 2nd gen carbureted F-body that received a 7747 and Crossfire intake manifold? If so, your old page was a great reference for a number of folks doing retrofits.

Shannen

Fuel Injected!
    Historically at least, when EGR was commanded the timing was also advanced. This led to denotation in older systems.
    Since I'm deleting the EGR hardware, I intend to disable it in the PCM to be sure commanded EGR doesn't advance timing.
    It doesn't typically lead to detonation with LT1s.

Anyway, if you're gonna delete it, you disable it via the pcm by

1. raising the EGR Max RpM constant to 6350RpM, AND then also the Minimum RpM constant to 6375RpM

2. raising both EGR Enable Coolant Temps over 115C / 239F (unless you plan on overheating the engine?).

Either works, I prefer both.
    If you prefer, zero out the EGR table as well.
    ... both are 8051 PCMs. BCC=BMDW for the Caprice Wagon.
    If you guys want to add my bins to a collection, just point me in the right direction.
    I looked but not hard enough to find the repository.
    The OBD1 LT1 .bin repository is here:
    https://ecmhack.com/tutorials/bin-files/

There's another repository here on gearhead-efi, but I forget where exactly ...
    Last edited by LeMarky Dissod; 02-24-2023 at 06:01 PM.

Carb and Points!
    LOL.

Your signature rings a bell too. You wouldn't happen to be Shannen from grolen?

Yessir, your recollection is spot on. I'm glad to have helped spread the word in some way. The late Dr Plecan was my encouragement and a helluva reference for me in those days. Still have the garaged Camaro, but it needs TLC to be roadworthy.

I've had an EBL-ized 7747 in a squarebody Suburban practically ever since, tho. Funny story, that one. Gas prices what they are, I have never daily-ed the 'burb. Consequently, the fueling has always been a little off, but never enough for me to care. I used it very infrequently, but as needed. Every few years I'd get annoyed with it and monkey with the tune. Every single time I could make it work OK, and then move along...with the fueling problem gradually returning. A few months ago (this story spans an honest 20 years) I went to get gas and when I opened the filler cap it went "sssppphhhheeeewww" with built up pressure. It took 20 @$#%#@$% years for the light bulb to go off in my head, but it finally did. During the engine build/EBL swap I rendered the evap canister inoperable...and unvented. I haven't completely undone my 20 years of skewed tunes yet, but I did throw away the filler cap seal and eliminate the constantly increasing fuel pressure. Doh. Sometimes it's hard to see the forest when you're focused on the trees.

Cheers to the old timers!
    -greg

Carb and Points!
    And thanks, LeMarky. That sounds like a perfect plan to me.

Fuel Injected!
    (No, I would not be.)
    No thanks needed. Plenty of the characters on this forum are far more helpful than I am.
    Last edited by LeMarky Dissod; 02-08-2023 at 03:20 AM.

Administrator
    There's another repository here on gearhead-efi, but I forget where exactly ...
    There are a few files here: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gearhead-efi/bin/16188051/

Good memory. Shannen from MCN, then Grolen, now Metrocast.

That story about the 'Burb is great. Sometimes it takes way to long for the light bulb to glow. I promise the little guys at CSH Central would have a story to match.

My '57 is still on the road, still running CFI, just using 7427 now. I've never added a vent to the in-cab tank but it runs well enough without it. Once in a while I get some fuel smell after refueling. One of these days I'll have time to rebuild the fuel system to Doc's specs and get rid of the OEM mismatched injectors. Maybe...

Fuel Injected!
    LOL.

Yessir, your recollection is spot on. I'm glad to have helped spread the word in some way. The late Dr Plecan was my encouragement and a helluva reference for me in those days. Still have the garaged Camaro, but it needs TLC to be roadworthy.

I've had an EBL-ized 7747 in a squarebody Suburban practically ever since, tho. Funny story, that one. Gas prices what they are, I have never daily-ed the 'burb. Consequently, the fueling has always been a little off, but never enough for me to care. I used it very infrequently, but as needed. Every few years I'd get annoyed with it and monkey with the tune. Every single time I could make it work OK, and then move along...with the fueling problem gradually returning. A few months ago (this story spans an honest 20 years) I went to get gas and when I opened the filler cap it went "sssppphhhheeeewww" with built up pressure. It took 20 @$#%#@$% years for the light bulb to go off in my head, but it finally did. During the engine build/EBL swap I rendered the evap canister inoperable...and unvented. I haven't completely undone my 20 years of skewed tunes yet, but I did throw away the filler cap seal and eliminate the constantly increasing fuel pressure. Doh. Sometimes it's hard to see the forest when you're focused on the trees.

Cheers to the old timers!
    -greg
    I remember you as well Greg. Been in this a long time too.