Thread: Retired with time to play

Carb and Points!

Retired with time to play

Hello everyone. 1st I'd like to thank GearHead EFI for providing a place to learn and ask questions. I was exposed to this site from my experience with TGO and finally decided to join.

I am a retired mechanical engineer spending all my career at design centers for GM, Ford, Chrysler. I raced circle track and formula cars with great success with very little time spent on building hotrods. I quit racing in 1985 and concentrated on building street rods. The past five years I got the taste for EFI logging and programming. Well least I am trying. My objective is to complete a TPI with a 700R4 for my 36 Chevy 2 dr Sedan. So far the engine runs on a test stand via a 7730 with VATS, smog pump and EGR removed. I know that's simple to some of you guys, but a great accomplishment to a rookie. I can't believe how much can be done with these ECM/PCM modules.

I bought Moates AutoProm, G1, HDR1, cables and some chips to work with. So far so good. One of the areas I want to learn is what other ECMs can be used since the 7730 are becoming hard to find. Other street rodders would like me to help them install EFI engines for economy mainly. You see, our gas in Canada run about $1.30/L. That's more than $5/gal. I found TGO helpful so far, but I'm looking forward to peruse this sight.

Thanks again.

Super Moderator
    welcome to the site.

what ECMs can be used really depends on if you want to play with speed-density or MAF calibrations.

i would think 7730s would be easy to find, they're probably one of the most produced GM OBD1 ECMs.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Carb and Points!
    Thanks for the welcome.
    I know a couple of guys who pick up cars for scrap and told them to LMK when they pick up GM vehicles that may have the 7730. Not one had the ECM so far.
    So far I played with SD/7730, but I want to experiment with MAF. Picked up a cheap 350/4l60E 7427 ECM and harness out of a 94 pickup. I already found out the chip was never changed from the original BHMD which was for the original L03 (305). Lots of connectors disconnected. But that's a topic for a new thread. Thanks.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

The next best option to a '7730, In My Humble Opinion, is the 16197427 TBI PCM. There are other TBI PCM numbers, 1993 ~ 1995 with the red / blue connectors which have almost identical internals as the 16197427 PCM. The red / blue connector PCM's can operate either a 4L60E or 4L80E which can provide gas savings to a project! The red / blue connector PCM's are common to 93 ~ 95 GM pickups, S10's and even the Olds Bravada.

dave w