Thread: Building / Adding to XDF... Categories, expressions, and not so obvious stuff

Administrator

Building / Adding to XDF... Categories, expressions, and not so obvious stuff

I'm trying to build a fully populated XDF for $6E. I'm using an existing file and filling in the missing blanks. I've copied / pasted then modified some table definitions from the awesome $0D definition, but I'm not learning anything by doing that. So I have a few questions.

When defining constants,

For a particular coolant temp variable, I've selected coolant temp as the data type. Do I have to enter the conversion math manually, or is there a way to "tell" tunerpro to enter it?

What should I know about "Stock Units" and "Units Override?" I've seen units typed into the "Units Override" space when the same unit was available in the "Stock Units" menu. Is there a practical reason to do this?

What are the three category entries for? What are the categories that are listed by number?

Should I just RTFM instead of trying to get this done?

Other than copy item, past item, delete item, is there a way to change the order of XDF items in parameter tree?

Thanks.

I think you can drag and drop items in the index. It's been a while since I've tried, however.
    Familiar with 1227747 and 16197427 PCMs

I'll give a shot at some of the TunerPro questions.

What are the three category entries for?
    Scalers are the constants, switches are in Flags with error codes/DTCs, then the Tables.

For a particular coolant temp variable, I've selected coolant temp as the data type. Do I have to enter the conversion math manually, or is there a way to "tell" tunerpro to enter it?
    Data Type shows what it is for user in certain instances and is used in Data tracing. Has nothing to do with the XDF working.

Click on an item where you want the new Scaler/Constant, right click and Insert New XDF Parameter, choose Scaler, then OK and the information box will open for location etc... at the bottom is a conversion tab for the math.

What are the categories that are listed by number?
    Not needed but can do it while there. Categories can be listed while doing the above step to set which Category folder they are in. This is more of an advanced feature along with levels. Don't worry about them as most don't know how to use them. Look at my last $42 and you can see how they work (along with most advaced features) and use levels to limit how much you see in each category all when starting a tune and only 2 or 3 showing in Level 1 at end of tune....

First you have to set up catagories before you can put items in them. To set up categories go to XDF, View Edit XDF and when that box pops open you'll see Categories on tab at bottom.

Other than copy item, past item, delete item, is there a way to change the order of XDF items in parameter tree?
    Above the Parameter Tree you'll see View, click on Parameter Ordered List and all items will appear. You can then and only then click on and move items.

To make separators just use a new Scaler, Flag or Table, whichever is appropriate and leave it blank for a space or use it for a title.

If you fill in the Description when making a new Parameter it will show when you Hoover over an item in parameter tree.

While your making new Parameters you will see Use Low range and Use High Range, if you check the boxes and add what high and low are the Tables will be blended with color for high low ranges. Really only useful in Tables.

Hope that gets you started.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Administrator
    Click on an item where you want the new Scaler/Constant, right click and Insert New XDF Parameter, choose Scaler, then OK and the information box will open for location etc... at the bottom is a conversion tab for the math.
    I another definition file editor I can choose "coolant temp" as a variable and it will automatically enter the math for me. Saves a lot of time. Is there any way to do that in TP? Or is there a file with all the math in it for easy copy/paste operations?

Hope that gets you started.
    Thanks. I've been started for three days. I've got to finish someone else's disassembly during the process and I'm picking up where they left off... with blanks and question marks for a whole bunch of variables. And I'm doing it after the kids go to bed until I can't keep my eyes open. The more I can learn now the better the result may be.
    Last edited by 1project2many; 08-25-2012 at 05:16 PM.

Is there a way for me to choose "coolant temp" as a variable and it will automatically enter the math for me. Saves a lot of time. Is there any way to do that in TP? Or is there a file with all the math in it for easy copy/paste operations?
    No, unless you have 2 instances of TunerPro open and are copying and pasting the XDF Paremeter from one to another.

Thanks. I've been started for three days. I've got to finish someone else's disassembly during the process and I'm picking up where they left off... with blanks and question marks for a whole bunch of variables. And I'm doing it after the kids go to bed until I can't keep my eyes open. The more I can learn now the better the result may be.
    Looking at $6E recently I was shocked how much work it needed.

As far as the TunerPro software don't let that slow you down, just give a call. The only issue with doing long work is no Edit - Undo, so save work often. If you enter or change something that is not wanted, no way to Edit - Undo, have to close TunerPro to avoid changing the file, which means all work is lost... Not really an issue with adding items as they can be edited or deleted, but if you do work in a table, your stuck.

-= =-

Administrator
    I've been saving under a temp file name. Every so often I update the original file.

It would save time if there was a master file with math in it. Open in notepad then copy and paste frequently used formulas.

Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    It would save time if there was a master file with math in it. Open in notepad then copy and paste frequently used formulas.
    You would not beleive the ideas that pop up when someone with Tuner experiance in one program starts using another! I'm finding huge holes in EFI Live and nothing you can do about it, compared to TunerPro and being able to fix or at least see it... this is after spending a week in new software trying to adapt.

-= =-

Super Moderator
    no way to automagically apply a conversion that way, too many items use the same variable, but with different equations.

i memorized pretty much all of them that i see often, except for the reference pulse based RPM variables, but there aren't too many of those.

REALLY easy once you start doing stuff like X * (100/255) instead of X * 0.3921, since then you don't even need to drag up the calculator.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    There's no reason you can't make a txt file like that.

When I need to add things to current XDFs or ADXs, I usually open a second instance, then copy and paste them in where they need to be.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Administrator
    REALLY easy once you start doing stuff like X * (100/255) instead of X * 0.3921, since then you don't even need to drag up the calculator.
    I've never tried to remember any of the equations. I've always had a source when I need them and it's rare that I have to type them repeatedly.

There's no reason you can't make a txt file like that.

When I need to add things to current XDFs or ADXs, I usually open a second instance, then copy and paste them in where they need to be.
    I know it's easy, and I should make that file. All I really want to do is make a full comparison between two calibrations and here I am finishing a disassembly to build a definition. I've got six program windows running right now and within one of them there are six instances, all of them with some portion or another of a concurrent project or conversation. Swapping data from file to file, staring at tables just puts me to sleep. When I'm already tired it's so easy to lose track of where I am and do the wrong thing in the wrong window that I try to avoid it.

Thanks, guys. I'll get a system in place for this job.
    Last edited by 1project2many; 08-25-2012 at 09:05 PM.