Thread: 12 pin GM ALDL

Electronic Ignition!

12 pin GM ALDL

Hey everyone. Has anyone bought the aldl cable from ALDLcable.com? I kept procrastinating on moates and now they closed. If anyone has bought this cable and could give me a little review on what they think I would really appreciate it. I'm in the process of making my own. But still working the bugs out with it. But I would like to have a good solid one. And it seems like the only ones we can get now is from this website or Red devil River.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Also if anybody has any pointers on making their own Aldo cable I'm all ears. I have multiple sets of schematics and so far I've been trying to make one with USB. But I've also got a DB9 connector and all kinds other electric stuff. I'm putting everything on a breadboard first..

Thanks

Fuel Injected!
    Just get something like this and you are good to go, make sure it uses ftdi chip.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/381374421597?_ul=BO

Yes, I use the ALDL cable from them with no issues.
    http://aldlcable.com/

Fuel Injected!
    I have the 16-pin version from them, it works perfectly. I would have to assume the 12-pin would be just as good since they're the same thing with just a different physical end.
    1990 Corvette (Manual)
    1994 Corvette (Automatic)
    1995 Corvette (Manual)

Electronic Ignition!

Ftdi usb

I have a similar ftdi usb. I connected the rxd and txd together and ran them to the serial data (pin m) then ran the ground to the ground (pin a).

When I connect it to the car and get tuner pro opened up and start data logging the readings are erratic and are all over the place. I even tried putting a resister between pin a and b. And still nothing. With the key on engine off if I push the accelerator the volts for the TPS sensor raise.

I talked to a guy that used to be a mechanic and is an electrical engineer now and he said I may be able to put a diode on the rxd side with the positive facing the Aldl port. He said what it sounds like to him is that the signals are getting mixed up. And from other research I've done says that serial is the best way to go

92 Buick LeSabre 3.8

Electronic Ignition!
    Like I said I'm new to all this and I'm going to buy the cable from ALDLcable.com so I have one that is problem free. but i want to make one from scratch also. I have bought a kit with different types of diodes, transistors, resisters, etc and a breadboard to. I also bought a USB ft23rl, a DB9 serial connector and a serial to usb. If my schedule ever allows it I want to sit down and try to get one working good and compare my results to the aldlcable.com cable.

Fuel Injected!
    There might be chatter on the bus and tunerpro adx can`t handle it.
    I will try flashhack first to make sure it is not car or tunerpro related.

I have a limited supply of the moates xtreme aldl cables for sale

Quote Originally Posted by kur4o View Post
    Just get something like this and you are good to go, make sure it uses ftdi chip.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/381374421597?_ul=BO
    You still need additional hardware to make that work. There's a MAX232 IC and supporting hardware needed to make that work with the GM ALDL databus. I have one that I made out of a similar USB to TTL adapter, it works very well, but needs to be made more robust and installed in an enclosure...
    Last edited by Six_Shooter; 12-07-2022 at 06:56 AM.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    12 pin or 16? Is it possible to adapt a Bluetooth device to 12 pin?

Electronic Ignition!
    Would you be willing to share your schematics and some pic?

I have a DB9 serial connector would it work better doing it with serial?

Quote Originally Posted by ras"86 View Post
    12 pin or 16? Is it possible to adapt a Bluetooth device to 12 pin?
    There was a place that made a BT version, but it was more miss than hit with connectivity. The 8192 baud rate of the GM ECU doesn't play well with other communications protocols.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Electronic Ignition!
    Red devil sells one

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1989 View Post
    I have a similar ftdi usb. I connected the rxd and txd together and ran them to the serial data (pin m) then ran the ground to the ground (pin a).

When I connect it to the car and get tuner pro opened up and start data logging the readings are erratic and are all over the place. I even tried putting a resister between pin a and b. And still nothing. With the key on engine off if I push the accelerator the volts for the TPS sensor raise.

I talked to a guy that used to be a mechanic and is an electrical engineer now and he said I may be able to put a diode on the rxd side with the positive facing the Aldl port. He said what it sounds like to him is that the signals are getting mixed up. And from other research I've done says that serial is the best way to go

92 Buick LeSabre 3.8
    Since you have a Buick, there's a chance your car has a Body Control Module. If whatever program you're using doesn't account for that while trying to datalog you will have erratic data.

We have the same issue with Corvettes that have a Central Control Module. Your datalogger needs to be aware that there is a handshake which has to be done to transfer bus master control from the BCM/CCM to your datalogger before you can start requesting data from the ECM or other systems.
    1990 Corvette (Manual)
    1994 Corvette (Automatic)
    1995 Corvette (Manual)

Fuel Injected!
    1994 GM P-30 Southwind Storm 28ft
    454 TBI w/4L80E trans
    VIN #1GBJP37N4R3314754