Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moates is closed

Fuel Injected!
    I grabbed a GM1 adapter from BoostedNW the other week expecting a 10-day lead time, but instead it shipped that same weekend and arrived that week. I had an Ostrich 2.0 that had been laying around my lab for years unused, so I slapped it all together and used it to correct a lean stumble on my '90 due to the previous owner installing the wrong injectors (not entirely his fault; a certain company I won't name recommends the incorrect injector for this application). I've got a few 27C256 chips laying around from working on a Skyline GT-R, so one of those is what's going into the adapter now.

Only two complaints with the GM1, though as I have never had a Moates G1 I can't say whether those same problems exist there or if it's unique to the GM1. First, the width of the ECM side connector is slightly too narrow for the retention clips on the ECM to engage properly. This results in it being impossible to push the GM1 into place unless you have moved both retention clips to almost their "engaged and locked" position before pushing down. As long as you know that beforehand it's not a big deal, but widening the connector just a little bit would allow the retention clip hooks to engage properly so that they would snap into place without jamming up.

Second, the cutout in the PCB intended to clear the center protrusion on the factory MEMCAL is ever so slightly not deep enough. This causes the factory MEMCAL to sit slightly crooked on the adapter, though the pins do all fully engage. I figure I can just file it down a bit to get it flush.

Apologies for the vague language. Assuming the weather holds I'm going to be doing more work on the car today, so I'll pull the adapter and take some measurements to see exactly what changes are necessary.

But like I said, first try the adapter did what it needed to do, and now the car runs like factory.
    1990 Corvette (Manual)
    1994 Corvette (Automatic)
    1995 Corvette (Manual)

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by NomakeWan View Post
    First, the width of the ECM side connector is slightly too narrow for the retention clips on the ECM to engage properly.

Yeah the ECM/bottom connector is standard. So the same thing would happen with moates G1 and red devil river adapters.

Quote Originally Posted by NomakeWan View Post
    Second, the cutout in the PCB intended to clear the center protrusion on the factory MEMCAL is ever so slightly not deep enough. This causes the factory MEMCAL to sit slightly crooked on the adapter, though the pins do all fully engage. I figure I can just file it down a bit to get it flush.
    Yes this has been noted and will be changed on future boards. The pins engage enough where it shouldn't be an issue we have been running one for a while in a TBI setup with no issues. (also yes filing it down for anyone has one currently will work to get it seated completely, and we will be filing the ones we have on this revision before they go out)

Other than that, Glad we got it to you fast and its doing its job!
    OBD1 HONDA, GM, Chip Burner(like moates burn2), Emulation (like moates ostrich2)- IN STOCK, Adapters(like moates G1 & G2, Memcal) & More Tuning Parts and Accessories @ BoostedNW.com

Electronic Ignition!
    Oh wow, this is sad. I've been buying Craig's products since 2003 and still use them to this day.
    This is a huge loss.

Craig, if you're reading - thanks soo much for your contribution to the DIY EFI community and I hope everything is okay and you're moving to greener pastures!