Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help getting car to idle when cold

Fuel Injected!
    Hiya Dukenukem,
    I am glad to hear you are making good progress. I had kinda been following you since you started this quest and noticed a difference in the vin numbers in your .bin files. Which vin is correct? I'm not sure it's an issue but the parameters area of the files between vins are quite different. Before I buy a vin cal, I'd like to make sure I am getting the right one :)
    -Carl

Quote Originally Posted by keigger73 View Post
    what size cam did you swap in?
    It's a Brian Tooley BTR Stage 2 with specs being 227/238 .620"/.605" 113.5LSA.
    you may need a stall converter? I'm not sure what trans you're running or if it has some stall built into its converter? the stock 4L60E has 1650 but I'm not sure if that's your setup or not just my 2cents, hope you get it lined out
    It's a ProTorque torque converter 3200 that I bought from tabbruzz from the Corvette forum. He's the reason that I got started down this path of self tuning my Vette. When I had my Vette tuned by Chuck of Westchester Corvettes, it took him 2 months plus I got it back with a bad trans. The car has 96,000 miles and I did drain and fill the trans once in it's life, but the fluid was black like motor oil black. This is the thread that started it. I bought a junk yard transmission that had been rebuilt in the past, but I doubt it was rebuilt to deal with more power. Took me 11 hours straight swapping the trans.

Quote Originally Posted by In-Tech View Post
    Hiya Dukenukem,
    I am glad to hear you are making good progress. I had kinda been following you since you started this quest and noticed a difference in the vin numbers in your .bin files. Which vin is correct? I'm not sure it's an issue but the parameters area of the files between vins are quite different. Before I buy a vin cal, I'd like to make sure I am getting the right one :)
    I might have uploaded a lot of bins from different sources to compare, but the one I'm using has the same vin as the tune I extracted that was done by Chuck. The thread that I learned to tune was here which ralmo94 helped me a lot with. I also got help from Pulse_GTO from LS1tech forum. Pulse_GTO was able to help me revert the transmission back to the way it was, even though I did adjust the tune a bit more aggressively since. There isn't a lot of information that helps with tuning with free software, so these threads are great for reference.

Just updating that I finally got around to trying my Vette and did some changes to the idle. I raised the idle higher, especially when I have the A/C on since it really likes to die when that's on. I also raised the air flow a bit when it's colder, since that may help keep it running. What I've noticed is that once it learns to idle, it stays running, but it seems to forget once I shut off the car for too long. What I do is keep my food on the gas peddle when I put the car into reverse or drive to make sure it doesn't accidentally stall out, but when it learns it doesn't have this problem. Since I modified Chucks original tune, I wonder if he just turned off idle relearn, or maybe since the car doesn't get hot enough that an idle relearn doesn't occur? Not sure how a 2002 Corvette learns to idle, but in most GM cars of this era you just let it idle and get it hot enough to let the fans kick on. Since I have a 160 thermostat that might make idle relearn difficult. I do have the trans cooler on as well, so the car generally runs much cooler than stock. I'm probably going to play around with lean burn mode since I get the strangest MPG. It's really good if I cruise from 30-40 the way I have it setup, and once lean burn kicks on which is closer to 50, it's also really good, but past 60mpg I'm getting 22mpg or 24mpg, but closer to 70 it's more like 30mpg. I uploaded what I've done to correct the idle so far.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Uploading my latest idle tune. This one has a lot of changes for good reasons. Firstly I lowered the A/C idle because putting on the A/C did make the engine jump up a lot in idle, so I just made it nearly equal to P/N but 25 RPM higher instead of 100. I then messed with the timing for idle, because I did change the Drive timing to 25, but at 1200 rpm it was set higher for some reason. I made everything 1200 RPM and bellow set to 25, as I've tried 20 and 30 with poor results. Plus I changed the P/N timing as it was set to nearly stock, which was 18. So I changed that to 25 along with the rest of the power curve getting a 4 timing increase to roughly match Drive. I also changed it so when the engine RPM drops or increases it doesn't suddenly increase or decrease timing. I then altered the lean cruise mode so the timing is more aggressive when it activates, plus it runs more leaner too.

So far the results are much better. I can now start the car and drive it without worrying about it stalling. Turning on the A/C is a bit too much at the start but the more I drive it the less of a problem it is, as if the car learns with each time I drive it. The gas mileage is better, but it's weird as it's really good at 50 to 55 MPH like almost 40mpg, but drops to 22MPG when doing 60 to 65 MPH, but goes back up again to nearly 40 at 70 MPH. I'm sure once I have the wide band sensor I can better properly tune this, which is still in the plans. I may also in the future reduce the idle airflow as I have it set to 11, and that maybe too much as at times it feels like cruise control, but it's rare. When I get the wideband installed I'll probably drop that a bit but for now it idles and drives well so I don't want to mess that up.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Dukenukemx; 05-29-2023 at 10:27 PM.