Thread: First tuning, hopefully someone has already made a file

Carb and Points!

First tuning, hopefully someone has already made a file

I'v been working on this car for 13 years, I'v been through 5 engines, and 4 transmissions over the years. I finally bit the bullet, and went to an LS against my will. It's a 6.0 that's completely stock, I used the NNBS intake manifold and EV6 injectors. The 4l80E has been rebuilt, so I know there's nothing wrong with it. The car has a full float 9" in the rear, UMI control arms and Viking coil overs all around. 275/40ZR17's on the front, and 275/55ZR17's on the rear.

I had someone "tune" it already, he didn't do it correctly and refused to fix it. So, I sent my ECU to someone else, and he didn't do as I asked. I'm on my own now, so I had to turn to the internet for some help. I have PCM hammer and tuner pro, but I'm still trying to learn all of this. I'm really tired of having a car that I'v invested thousands of dollars in just sitting in my garage undrivable.

Does anyone have a file I can steal?
    2004 LQ4 6.0L, NNBS intake and EV6 injectors, 4l80E
    OS 12587603
    rear axle ratio 4:10
    rear tire size 275/55ZR17
    Attached Images Attached Images

The attached .bin is likely a stock LQ4 / 4L80E, without modifications.

http://www.free-vin-decoder.com/vin/1GBHC24UX4E345388
    Attached Files Attached Files

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    The attached .bin is likely a stock LQ4
    Great, thank you. I will take a look at it. I have no idea what needs to be changed for the different fuel injectors if anything, or how to change tire size in tuner pro so those are my biggest concerns

You mention EV6 injectors, but that is more the type of I jector body, not the size. Do you have brand, , size and part number? That way you can look up the correct injector data to plug in.

Carb and Points!
    I guess I should have added that, didn't even think of it initially. 4 hole 36 pound per hour
    Attached Images Attached Images

Could you post the tune you currently have?

I took the file posted above and changed it for the injectors you have. I also assumed the following:

- You are using the original truck MAF sensor.
    - The wiring harness and tune you are originally using were set up for a 4L80E.
    - You have the fans controlled by the PCM.
    - The A/C fan control is done by the PCM.
    - You are running E10 pump gas.
    - You deleted the catalytic converters and EVAP system.

You could always just copy the injector values over to your current tune and go from there. The tune I set up is assuming that the wiring harness is set up for a 4L80E and I've already changed the transmission shift tables and torque converter tables to account for your rear end ratio and tire size.

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulse_GTO View Post
    I took the file posted above and changed it for the injectors you have. I also assumed the following:

- You are using the original truck MAF sensor.
    - The wiring harness and tune you are originally using were set up for a 4L80E.
    - You have the fans controlled by the PCM.
    - The A/C fan control is done by the PCM.
    - You are running E10 pump gas.
    - You deleted the catalytic converters and EVAP system.

You could always just copy the injector values over to your current tune and go from there. The tune I set up is assuming that the wiring harness is set up for a 4L80E and I've already changed the transmission shift tables and torque converter tables to account for your rear end ratio and tire size.
    Thank you, that's great! I am using a BP automotive harness, the original MAF, fans are PCM controlled, and cats are deleted. The file I uploaded should be my existing bin file, and I will be loading the one you modified in the car shortly. Sorry I'v been slow to reply, I have family coming for turkey day and I'm trying to get the house ready

Carb and Points!
    That, made it worse. really high idle, press on the gas pedal and it chokes out. I guess I have a lot to learn so I can figure this out or take the car to fort worth and pay $600+ for a dyno tune

Quote Originally Posted by Rock.black.sheep View Post
    That, made it worse. really high idle, press on the gas pedal and it chokes out. I guess I have a lot to learn so I can figure this out or take the car to fort worth and pay $600+ for a dyno tune
    Thank you for posting your file. The reason why it idled like crap and the accelerator pedal would not work is because the file I had originally worked on was for drive by wire and not drive by cable. The file you posted is from a 2004 GMC 2500 Van and it's drive by cable.

Now that I'm working with your file, I went ahead and transferred the injector and shift table data over. Give this a try and let us know if we are getting close.

Who in Ft Worth would you be bringing it to? Where in the country do you live in?

Carb and Points!
    I talked to Jessie's performance, they seem like they know what they're doing but I'm poor so spending that kind of money is hard to do when my grocery bill goes up $50 every month. I'm in honey grove Texas, not far from Dallas. Very small town of 1600 people so finding work here is tough. Usually my customers are coming from the bigger cities, the last truck I built was from an hour and a half away. I will try that file in a bit, replying from my phone making dinner ��

Thank you for working on it, I really appreciate it.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock.black.sheep View Post
    I talked to Jessie's performance, they seem like they know what they're doing but I'm poor so spending that kind of money is hard to do when my grocery bill goes up $50 every month. I'm in honey grove Texas, not far from Dallas. Very small town of 1600 people so finding work here is tough. Usually my customers are coming from the bigger cities, the last truck I built was from an hour and a half away. I will try that file in a bit, replying from my phone making dinner ��

Thank you for working on it, I really appreciate it.
    I have tuned dozens of 6.0Ls myself. Stock engine should not require a ton of dyno time to get it right. Match the file for DBC or DBW. Swap the injector data. Put the MAF data in that matches the engine size and MAF. Vans have small MAFs with an entirely different MAF curve. Are you using the Van MAF or Truck MAF? Part number would be helpful.

Carb and Points!
    I haven't been back in a while, between work and preparing for my family to stay in my house for a week I'v been busy. I'v driven the car a couple times, but my alternator died and I parked the car because I'm pretty pissed off at her right now So far it seems to run better, and shifts ok. I need to put some miles on it so it learns a bit more. After next week, and spending who knows what on a new alternator. I appreciate everyone's input, and I will let you know how it goes when I can afford an alternator

Carb and Points!
    Iv been busy working on other projects, but finally found time to work on my junk. Is there anything in the tune that would turn off the alternator? Sounds stupid I know, but I can't seem to find anything else. All my wiring is 2 years old, and everything is working as it should. I have multiple ground wires that are all new and everything has been checked. The original alternator makes 6.6 volts, the new alternator makes 6.8 volts, the 3 other alternators I tried all are in that range. All the fuses have been pulled and checked for continuity, battery sits at 12.5 volts. Iv at a complete loss, this makes no sense at all. The only other thing I can think of is a bad resistor in the wiring harness, but it's a BP automotive $800 harness that's 2 years old.

What am I missing? I feel like an idiot, charging should be super easy.