Thread: Installing TBI fuel injection on a '53 Willys (M38A1) 5.7L GM

Installing TBI fuel injection on a '53 Willys (M38A1) 5.7L GM

Hi. I bought an old willy"s jeep when I was in college around 1992. It had a F head 4cyl and 5.38 gears under it and I drove it for a few months. I drove it for a few months and after a piston broke, I put the differentials from a 1972 jeep under it along with the transmission and transfer case. I also fabricated an adapter and put a 4 bbl 350 chevy in it built from junkyard parts with new rings and bearings. Put power steering and disc brakes on the jeep also. After a few years of taking it in places it shouldn't have been, the body mounts rusted and broke and the thing became unsafe to drive. I parked it in 1997 and have started to repair the body and re-assemble it. I am building an engine that was pulled at a local dealership from a 1992 chevy truck with less than 20k miles. It is a 5.7 that the crank broke between 1/2 rod journal and the #2 main. I am putting the engine back stock except for flat pistons and a roller cam. The cam is a sealed power CS-808 and new roller lifters. The fuel injection system I have is from a 1991 camaro RS. It was a TBI car with a 5 speed. The ECM is a '8746 and I have the ECM, harness and complete engine. The engine had the "peanut" roller cam in it. I have the harness sorted out. I have the GM service manual for the car so I have all of the diagrams etc. The ECM has a Hypertech 121372 EPROM in it. From what I have read on the forums, I need to get an ESC module and knock sensor from a 5.7 application. Do I need to get the higher lbs/hr injectors or just put an adjustable regulator and use the injectors from the 305 TBI. Do I need to start with a 5.7L bin or just use the Hypertech bin. I have a burn2 programmer and 27sf512 chips. I just have to install the larger socket in the ecm with the mods to use the eeprom. I have built a datalog cable and I can power up the ecm and read flags etc with Winaldl. Any pointers or advice on where to get started after I get the engine installed would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Brian

I would start with a either Hypertech .bin or the a factory 350 .bin, there isn't really that much difference! I recommend using stock 5.7 liter injectors on a mostly stock 5.7 liter engine. I'd use TunerPro RT to data log with. There is some very good information on the '8746 http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-61 so check it out. I would wire up the knock sensor just like a factory 5.7 liter, works great that way!

dave w