Thread: Old dog, new tricks.

Carb and Points!

Old dog, new tricks.

Old wrench turner here. Retired from the Army a few years back (Ordnance Corps, of course). Did a short stint as VW/Audi tech (found no joy in that), then on to better things. Still have my '86 Corvette purchased some twenty years ago. In the past I could use DIACOM to scan it but no more (DOS), also got another motor waiting for it's turn under the hood. I've got a lot to learn and found myself here...

Get TunerPro, it'll do a great job of watching data like a scantool but way better for tuning. Price is $40. Need a laptop, files are free and you can work on them.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Administrator
    Hello,

Diacom was very powerful software in it's time but they've never updated the interface. However, I see it's still available through Rinda so I wonder what they're offering for a solution. Anyway, much of the hobbyist and even pro tuning world has moved toward Tunerpro as it's got both tuning and datalogging in one package and is extremely flexible.

There have been many, many changes in the "standard" recommended upgrades to your Vette so you're likely to see many conflicting suggestions when it comes to the fuel injection and control system. The limit to what you can accomplish is in how much you want to modify it. You should find plenty of good information and help here.

Carb and Points!
    Yup, Got the TunerPro RT hooked up with a AKM cable. Took me awhile to figure out what does what but I got it to scan. But $32 scan displays hardly any any ECM functions compared to my old DIACOM (which responded alot faster too). Things like evap purge, AIR mode and integrator counts are non-existent on $32 Definition (but $6E has all that).

Kinda disappointed with the Datastream definition available.

Administrator
    If you're using $6E then you're liable to get incorrect data from $32. The complete GM datastreams have been released so if you're not able to view everything then it's because some of the parameters weren't included. One of the downsides to the Tunerpro "business" model is that you have to use what someone else wanted to build or else you do it yourself.

You can always add values to datastream in TunerPro ADX, chances are there is a better one already done. Look around here, we have many improved files compared to TP website.

-= =-

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    You can always add values to datastream in TunerPro ADX, chances are there is a better one already done. Look around here, we have many improved files compared to TP website.
    I'm hoping to find a better datastream than what was on the TP website. I'm not savvy enough to start making my own, yet.

Administrator
    Have you checked the info thread to see if the files there are any better / different?

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...ams-Tuner-Info!

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    Hello,

There have been many, many changes in the "standard" recommended upgrades to your Vette so you're likely to see many conflicting suggestions when it comes to the fuel injection and control system. The limit to what you can accomplish is in how much you want to modify it. You should find plenty of good information and help here.
    Down the road I'll be making a decision on which path to take (MAF vs SD, Ostrich vs EBL P4). Right now I'm just trying to scan it and figure out why it's running kinda crappy

Carb and Points!
    Have you checked the info thread to see if the files there are any better / different?

Yep, same definition file.

PM tunedperformance and see if he has one, I know he has worked on the XDF side.

-= =-