Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast

Thread: 350 with 30lb injectors

Yeah, life has gotten extremely busy due to school, and have had zero time to do much of anything else, I apologize for not getting back to you, but using someone closer I think would be a better option anyway.

I haven't even had a chance to even look at my own car since the beginning of October, literally, just opening the door to the garage to peek at it takes up more time that I seem to have anymore. I need to get it running properly, since there's a guy that wants to buy most of the parts I won't be using in the long run. If school wasn't so important, I'd have a lot more done by now. :/
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Back Again

Here I am back after a long time. Took my car into a tuning shop and he said he got the $32 stock bin adjusted pretty good with the car making about 300hp at the wheels. The problem he said is that when he goes leaner than about 13.8/13.9 that the car starts to misfire and the car smells like raw fuel even more. This seems kinda wiered to me but I have to go there Monday and take the car for a spin and try it out. The other problem which I want opinions on here is he said my throttle seems nice and easy to open when the car is off but really hard when it's running and said that it is hard to control the car and said it seems like the throttle body open all in one shot. He said that this seems to be a common problem when researching online but I couldn't find anything online about this. Anyone have an opinion with throttle body issues? I have a 1000cfm BBK with a TPIS mini ram intake. Could it be a throttle body problem or a peddle problem on my 3rd gen CAMARO? Anyone???

There's ZERO reason why it should need to run anything richer than 14.7 (or so) for idle and cruise. Sounds like there's some other adjustments to be made, like some timing in those areas.

The throttle body thing could be normal, but then again, it could be worn shaft/body. I know on some cars I've driven, mostly TBI, mind you, I have experienced something similar, throttle easy to move when engine is off, but when running with high vacuum the throttle becomes a little more stiff, with no mechanical issues to be found.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Great to be back on the forum. The tuner said that when he goes leaner closer to 14.7 he says that the car starts to missfire and then it smells even more like raw fuel, this seems a little weird to me. He said he is going to give me the bin file once I pick up the car, he also disabled the O2 as of right now because I have a wiring problem that I have to fix but he said that the O2 won't make much a difference but I will fix the wiring that burnt on the header and put closed loop at a lower temp once I get the car back. I will post the bin file up here for you all to have a look and see what you think. With my previous bins that I posted most of you all said that the car will run really rich with those bin files and knock birds out of trees hahahaha. Hope it doesn't once I get the car back, I really do not want a rich condition on idle and cruise speeds as the car stinks with the stock AUM bin with the 30lb injectors. With the other bin that I had custom made the car runs great when warm but on cold start it runs awful, bogs out when releasing the clutch.
    Thanks.

Do you have a high overlap cam?

That's about the only thing I can think of that might cause a symptom like you describe. Having said that, I've tuned some pretty non EFI friendly cams, and was able to get 14.7 or leaner without missfire.

It is the GM hot cam for the ZZ4 crate motor

Administrator
    That's a very mild cam with zero overlap. It should be very easy to tune.

So any reason why my tuner is saying that when he tries to go leaner towards 14.7 he says that the car misfires.

Quote Originally Posted by ZEDRATED View Post
    Here I am back after a long time. Took my car into a tuning shop and he said he got the $32 stock bin adjusted pretty good with the car making about 300hp at the wheels. The problem he said is that when he goes leaner than about 13.8/13.9 that the car starts to misfire and the car smells like raw fuel even more. This seems kinda wiered to me but I have to go there Monday and take the car for a spin and try it out. The other problem which I want opinions on here is he said my throttle seems nice and easy to open when the car is off but really hard when it's running and said that it is hard to control the car and said it seems like the throttle body open all in one shot. He said that this seems to be a common problem when researching online but I couldn't find anything online about this. Anyone have an opinion with throttle body issues? I have a 1000cfm BBK with a TPIS mini ram intake. Could it be a throttle body problem or a peddle problem on my 3rd gen CAMARO? Anyone???
    The throttle sticky when car is running and not sticky when car is off... is... wait for it....

The throttle blades are not open far enough or closed completely and all air is going through IAC. Look at IAC counts and I'll bet they are high!

As for the AFR? Well that's a big subject and with a modified engine it may not like Stoich/14.7 to 1 especially at idle and for the most part big cams are lying to the narrow band O2 sensor at idle anyway, hence the need for OL Idle. Unless your going out of your way for non ethonol it's not 14.7 to 1 AFR anyway... E fuel is closer to 14.13, for more read here:
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...g-using-Lambda

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

I live in the same area and in every engine I've tuned 14.7:1 is not an issue with the E10 fuel we have. While it may theoretically not be "stoich" many engines seem to have no problem running around that.

@Six Shooter, are you in Hamilton? Would you still be interested in tuning my car if this fellow can't get it right? Do you have experience with 3rd gen Camaro's? I welded a bung right after the y-pipe connects. The car does run good but like I said my main concern is the richness. I don't want to wear a gas mask everytime I drive the car lol. @EagleMark, what you said sounds right but I adjusted the IAC properly, maybe I'll go a little higher with the adjuster screw and run the IAC counts a little lower instead of 30-50 maybe around 20. I dunno.

I'm in Brantford, about 20 minutes from Hamilton, IIRC, you are in the Barrie area?

The IAC counts should be around the 25 to 35 mark.

I can definitely give you a hand to tune it. I'll just say that I've tuned some ECMs that were used in the third gens, but I mostly work with conversions. ;)

I am in Vaughan. 30 minutes south of Barrie. I am going to Oalville tomorrow afternoon to take my car for spin and pay the tuner. If I am not happy with the tune I will tell him, he said he will give me the bin file on a USB stick as well so I can share that here once I get it. He said that he has to run the car a little rich for it to run good, around 13.9 or so, he also said that he is convinced that I have a throttle body problem but the car has a BBK 1000cfm throttle body with very little usage on it. I will check the IAC count tomorrow again as well. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    I live in the same area and in every engine I've tuned 14.7:1 is not an issue with the E10 fuel we have. While it may theoretically not be "stoich" many engines seem to have no problem running around that.
    I agree, even in a fine tune at idle and WB it's a mid point between high and low AFR and should run fine with in 1...?

But his throttle blade sticking when engine is running really leads to blades are shut! Engine vacuum is sucking them shut and it takes a hard push on gas pedal to snap open. So this means the only air at idle is IAC... which would be horrible.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

So the tuner says hahahaha, I set the IAC motor to 30 counts so it should be fine. He says that when he goes leaner that there is more vacuum and it is sucking the plates shut.