Page 1 of 30 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: 350 with 30lb injectors

350 with 30lb injectors

Hi everyone, I have been going nuts with my car. I have an 86 CAMARO that had a stock 305 tpi and was auto. I now have a 350 ZZ4 crate motor with a tpis mini with 30lb injectors, with a tremic tko 5 speed. With the stock chip it runs ok but really rich but the car doesn't run to bad in open or closed loop.
    I have tried someone programming a custom chip and when the car goes in closed loop, it runs amazing and a lot stronger, the problem is that in open loop the car runs horrible and bogs out and seems like it is getting flooded. I was wondering if anyone has a bin file that I can try as I have the programmer to burn the moates chip. If anyone has a tpis mini with 30lb injectors set up on a 350, I would love to try a bin that might work on my car.
    Thank you very much for reading.

Post up both .bins and I am sure someone can help get the OL sorted out a bit.
    1978 Camaro Type LT, 383, Dual TBI, '7427, 4L80E
    1981 Camaro Z-28 Clone, T-Tops, 350/TH350
    1981 Camaro Berlinetta, V-6, 3spd
    1974 Chevy/GMC Truck, '90 TBI 350, '7427, TH350, NP203, 6" lift, 35s

OK thanks, just on my phone right now buy as soon as I get home I will post both bins and logs for both as well.
    Thanks.

What are you using to datalog?
    1978 Camaro Type LT, 383, Dual TBI, '7427, 4L80E
    1981 Camaro Z-28 Clone, T-Tops, 350/TH350
    1981 Camaro Berlinetta, V-6, 3spd
    1974 Chevy/GMC Truck, '90 TBI 350, '7427, TH350, NP203, 6" lift, 35s

I was using tts data master and tuner pro

Administrator
    The miniram can be tough to tune. Most of the mail order cals I've seen end up rich all over. Even miniram cals from the manufacturer (that one was rich enough to knock small birds out of trees).

LOL, in open loop I knock myself out LOL, nevermind birds in trees lol. I don't mind it running a little rich but I just don't understand why it runs so horrible in open loop that I can't even drive the car until it goes into closed loop because it's just bogs out as I release the clutch. This is with the custom chip. The the stock bin file it runs not to bad but way to rich that black smoke comes out at WOT. With the custom chip it runs great in closed loop but terrible in open loop. I will post the two bins tonight as well as the two data logs.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by ZEDRATED; 08-18-2013 at 09:11 AM.

The reason it is better in Closed Loop is feedback! It is adjusting the fuel. It's not magic and can only adjust so far. It also needs correct info to be close. If stock injectors are 20 and now you have 30... well you just added 1/3rd more fuel it does not know about.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Yes, I understand that. I bought the car like this but is there any way to adjust the bin file so it runs better in open loop but leave it the way it is in closed loop? I also still don't understand why I could drive it without bogging out in open loop with the stock chip as with the custom one it's horrible and the tuner from pcmforless.com couldn't get it to run right in open loop, even after several logs. Again, I will post my bins and logs as soon as I get a chance. Probably tonight.
    Thanks.

Administrator
    You can change the injector size in the chip.

For now you should probably focus on modifying the stock chip to make the car driveable. If you choose to go forward with tuning then you can use the pcmforless tune as a learning tool. What are you logging with? Other than the ZZ4 and miniram, what is changed in the car?

I was hoping I could just modify the custom bin because it runs really good in closed loop. I was logging with Datamaster but my 20 free trials ran out. I am now using TunerPro.
    The car has the ZZ4 350, 1000cfm throttle body, tpis mini ram without EGR, 30lb injectors, adjustable fuel pressure regulator and a crate tranny: tremic tko.

Administrator
    There's a very good chance the engine runs well in closed loop because the maximum and minimum values for the corrections have been widened far beyond factory. This would allow the O2 to drive a substantially rich engine back to stoich and would practically eliminate codes for rich and / or lean engine conditions. I suppose the first thing to do is check the injector constant (the injector size) to make sure it matches your injectors then adjust if it doesn't. The problem is that constant is a basis for all other fuel numbers so if you change it you might find other issues show up that you didn't experience before.

When I was playing around with the bin file, I didn't see an injector size option in tuner pro?
    I'm sure the custom chip is set up for 30lbs as I told the tuner that's what it has.

Post the bin and XDF so we can look?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Administrator
    Yes, post the .bin and the .xdf

If you adjust the fuel pressure from what the injectors are measured at then you no longer have a 30lb injector.