Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Strange Spark Plug issue

Agreed. 80 & 85 were made to tow in oD, I call the other ones half ton tranies, and they were not, nor were they made for too low of input shaft speed, pump doesn't run enough, at least that's the way it was explained to me.
    No need to re-invent the wheel. But we can make it better

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by ralmo94 View Post
    Agreed. 80 & 85 were made to tow in oD, I call the other ones half ton tranies, and they were not, nor were they made for too low of input shaft speed, pump doesn't run enough, at least that's the way it was explained to me.
    I have always been told not to run a 700r4 or 4L60E much under 2,000 rpm especially in overdrive unless the load is very low. Even the upgraded pump has weak output and the cooler circuit robs both the TCC apply circuit and overdrive clutch apply pressures at low rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    I have always been told not to run a 700r4 or 4L60E much under 2,000 rpm especially in overdrive unless the load is very low. Even the upgraded pump has weak output and the cooler circuit robs both the TCC apply circuit and overdrive clutch apply pressures at low rpm.
    My understanding also, they also have a higher OD ratio than the HD trans do.

Also, a 4l60e, or a 4l80e with no lockup in 2nd, will burn up pulling a heavy load up a pass, the tc isn't meant to run that hard unlocked, temps sore unlocked, and at that area torque multiplication doesn't really do any benefit, and in my opinion actually hurts performance.
    No need to re-invent the wheel. But we can make it better

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post

This may explain an issue I tried to figure out for years. After remanufacturing my transmission I couldn't get the new torque converter to stop locking and unlocking around 40 mph unless I sped up or slowed down out of the range of lockup. The EBL cured it but I couldn't figure it out.

Fuel Injected!
    Just to let you all know, the misfires I was having was my fault. two plug wires were crossed. I checked them twice but the second time my blood sugar level was low and a woman was distracting me so I had to give up.

But I have another question. How to you think of "steps" in tunerpro? I'm having difficulty imaging them because normally I would think of more steps taking longer but that's not the case. More steps is faster.

Administrator
    It depends on the table you're editing. Maybe it helps to think of walking down the stairs... one step at a time takes longer than if you can take 2 or 3 steps each time?

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    It depends on the table you're editing. Maybe it helps to think of walking down the stairs... one step at a time takes longer than if you can take 2 or 3 steps each time?

Okay, I can remember that. Thanks.

My next issue is that my idle is ignoring the idle SA and idling at the maximum SA. Are there any known settings that conflict with the Idle SA?

Fuel Injected!
    is the IDLE flag set when you are at idle? if your throttle blades are opened too far or TPS isn't set correctly it may not be in idle mode at all.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by tayto View Post
    is the IDLE flag set when you are at idle? if your throttle blades are opened too far or TPS isn't set correctly it may not be in idle mode at all.
    It is indicating idle. The only other things I noticed that I don't understand are when I shut the engine off and turn the key on to enable electricity the async and launch mode flags are indicated.

Administrator
    I'm not sure I would be concerned with the flags set during key on, engine off conditions. They may be relevant but I would focus on what's happening at idle.

Is the engine idling at a speed that is below the stall saver speed? Stall save mode recognizes that engine rpm is dropping too low and adds spark advance, IAC, and sometimes fuel as well. There is a stall saver flag in the datastream of some calibrations.

Is the engine idling at a speed that is below the the crank rpm ( or REFerence pulse duration)? The ecm will treat crank rpm differently than idle rpm.

Is RPM stable at idle? If the ecm is determining that engine rpm is accelerating too quickly it may be attempting to enable fuel injector pulses and extra spark advance. Watch the Acceleration Enrichment flag or BPW value to try to determine the answer.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    I'm not sure I would be concerned with the flags set during key on, engine off conditions. They may be relevant but I would focus on what's happening at idle.

Is the engine idling at a speed that is below the stall saver speed? Stall save mode recognizes that engine rpm is dropping too low and adds spark advance, IAC, and sometimes fuel as well. There is a stall saver flag in the datastream of some calibrations.

Is the engine idling at a speed that is below the the crank rpm ( or REFerence pulse duration)? The ecm will treat crank rpm differently than idle rpm.

Is RPM stable at idle? If the ecm is determining that engine rpm is accelerating too quickly it may be attempting to enable fuel injector pulses and extra spark advance. Watch the Acceleration Enrichment flag or BPW value to try to determine the answer.

This suggestion helped. Thank you!
    There was a launch mode overlap causing it to surge during idle.

I installed a wideband and now for some strange reason I can't figure out why it will no longer go into closed loop. It's killing my fuel mileage and annoying me. Does anyone know any settings that may be conflicting?