Thread: Strange Spark Plug issue

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!
    I think that changing the plugs fried my ignition coil. You have any suggestions for a new one? The pertronix was fine I guess but I'd like it to last longer than five years like this one did.

Fuel Injected!
    sounds like you got a bad plug or cracked one installing it 25 years ago. millions of people run stock ac delco plugs and have no issues with them, including myself. do you check&set the gap on your plugs or install them as is? pertronix is known garbage i would run stock stuff here. i have never used davis stuff but have heard its OK.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by tayto View Post
    sounds like you got a bad plug or cracked one installing it 25 years ago. millions of people run stock ac delco plugs and have no issues with them, including myself. do you check&set the gap on your plugs or install them as is? pertronix is known garbage i would run stock stuff here. i have never used davis stuff but have heard its OK.

I'm starting to think I understand what's going on. I suspect that the larger electrodes on the commercial grade plugs increase resistance just enough to destroy coils that may already have enough mileage on them to finish them off. Which is exactly what appears happened this time. Maybe the coil should be replaced when installing these plugs the same way a weakened battery will destroy a new alternator. I went through four alternators in three months on a Mustang when I was a kid. I just assumed I was getting poor remanufactured parts because they were from AutoZone, which is often a legitimate thing. Since they had lifetime warranties it wasn't a big deal to swap them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Purv-Dawg View Post
    I think that changing the plugs fried my ignition coil. You have any suggestions for a new one? The pertronix was fine I guess but I'd like it to last longer than five years like this one did.
    I fried a Pertronix Flame Thrower and a Spectra Premium ICM in ~2000 miles. As @Tayto said they're junk. If I can find it, I'll run ACDelco GM Original Equipment, more so than their other lower tier stuff. A lot of times, if your coil goes out, your ICM is probably toast too. Yeah, they're somewhat expensive - you get what you paid for.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NMVWW8H...roduct_details

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-D1984...7-93deae8f9840

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by PlayingWithTBI View Post
    I fried a Pertronix Flame Thrower and a Spectra Premium ICM in ~2000 miles. As @Tayto said they're junk. If I can find it, I'll run ACDelco GM Original Equipment, more so than their other lower tier stuff. A lot of times, if your coil goes out, your ICM is probably toast too. Yeah, they're somewhat expensive - you get what you paid for.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NMVWW8H...roduct_details

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-D1984...7-93deae8f9840
    I thank you for your input. I know the pertronix modules get terrible reviews on summit racing. They have about six immediate failure reviews listed on them. I suspect the pertronix coil was recommended was because it's 50% cheaper and one of only two coils that boast 45k volts on summit racing website specifically for this truck. The other is the Davis unified and the reviews put the ratings almost identical. That's really not a truly reliable way to determine quality but without professional input it's all there really is available.