Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Need compatible cable or device for TunerPro

Quote Originally Posted by ralmo94 View Post
    Trim bank A is long term bank 1 trim bank B is long term bank 2. INT is short term.
    That seems to be better, though still off compared to yours.
    You also are not logging MAF Hz or frequency, that's what you need also in order to mess with the MAF curve.
    Hopefully I can get PCM Logger working and that'll fix everything.
    You have to disable the MAF fuel corrections so it will run in SD mode to tune the VE table, this is because in regular blended mode it uses measured air mass from the MAF most of the time except for throttle changes, or instances where the air flow might change faster than can be measured at the MAF. So to dial in VE, you have to run off of the VE only, then after it is in line you turn the MAF back on.
    Ok so turn off MAF then log and then make adjustments, then turn it back on?
    I should ask, are you using stock injectors, because if you're not that needs to be calibrated first or it might never run right no matter what you do with the air flow tables
    Yes stock injectors, as I haven't gone that far yet. Not sure if I should even bother changing them?
    There is a logger in universal Patcher also I think it uses pcm logger and you have your VE table open in universal Patcher and it gets table layout from that. I never had a chance to use it personally, but that might be an easir way? Another popular place to tie in WB anolog signal is the AC pressure, you could possibly do both with WB's and have an idea of how each bank is running, I don't know what your budget is but it's possible.
    I think in the future I'll just put in a wide band temporarily in one of the down stream O2 locations, then log and tune and put the regular O2 back in. For now a basic tune will do.
    Last edited by Dukenukemx; 10-16-2022 at 10:26 AM.

Yes if your cam is small enough to work with MAF I would turn it back on when VE is Dialed in.
    With big cams that have lots of overlap you can get pressure wave in the intake that mess with the MAF at lower RPM.
    I would try to use it for the end product even if you think you have too big of a cam.

I filtered data for engine temp > 155 or 150 when I looked at your log, and throttle > 1
    No need to re-invent the wheel. But we can make it better

Yes if your cam is small enough to work with MAF I would turn it back on when VE is Dialed in.
    With big cams that have lots of overlap you can get pressure wave in the intake that mess with the MAF at lower RPM.
    I would try to use it for the end product even if you think you have too big of a cam.

I filtered data for engine temp > 155 or 150 when I looked at your log, and throttle > 1
    Taking your advice I used a spreadsheet to calculate 10% increase to run it leaner and a quick Google shows that formula =A2*(1+B2) works for this. My understanding is that my goal is to get fuel trims as close to 0%? Not sure what to look for in adjusting the VE table?

**EDIT**
    Tried saving these changes in TunerPro RT and it gives me "one or more checksums could not be updated".

**EDIT**
    Turns out I needed these plugins to do it.
    https://github.com/BoredTruckOwner/L...ine_Repository
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dukenukemx; 10-16-2022 at 10:59 AM.

Yeah you need checksum plugins to save in tuner pro. If you ever get one that has a wrong check sum universal patcher can fix it.

You will likely never get 0 fuel trims, but as close as you can get to between 0 and -5 is a good goal.
    You have to disable MAF and log it, then when you have a table of fuel trims, you multiply your VE table how far the fuel trim was off.
    Then repeat, until you get it as close as you can, and it helps to look at your VE table in 3d. You want to look for any dips or rocky areas.
    A little rough is ok, but generally speaking it should be linear and somewhat smooth. Ve should increase as rpm and kpa increase. Once you get past the power band it should drop off a touch with rpm, but more kpa should always be more or the same VE, never less in theory. When you make changes, you should also look at the areas you weren't able to log and make a guess at what they should be based on the areas you did log and change. If I keep getting a dip I like to take the cells around it and with a calculator average them, and then either set them all to the average, or set them to a linear value that averages the same thing and log again.
    Last edited by ralmo94; 10-16-2022 at 11:30 AM. Reason: typo

Yeah you need checksum plugins to save in tuner pro. If you ever get one that has a wrong check sum universal patcher can fix it.

You will likely never get 0 fuel trims, but as close as you can get to between 0 and -5 is a good goal.
    You have to disable MAF and log it, then when you have a table of fuel trims, you multiply your VE table how far the fuel trim was off.
    Then repeat, until you get it as close as you can, and it helps to look at your VE table in 3d. You want to look for any dips or rocky areas.
    A little rough is ok, but generally speaking it should be linear and somewhat smooth. Ve should increase as rpm and kpa increase. Once you get past the power band it should drop off a touch with rpm, but more kpa should always be more or the same VE, never less in theory. When you make changes, you should also look at the areas you weren't able to log and make a guess at what they should be based on the areas you did log and change. If I keep getting a dip I like to take the cells around it and with a calculator average them, and then either set them all to the average, or set them to a linear value that averages the same thing and log again.
    I don't know how to disable MAF. A bit of Google suggests that I set MAF Fail freq to 0. I don't see that in TunerPro. I was able to increase the fuel injector flow rate by 10% and I reverted a bunch of changes in the transmission to get it to perform better. Some of Chucks changes did seem to increase performance, but I kept the TCC lock up as stock. I also found this old tutorial from here but still don't know how to disable MAF.

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...-data-Tutorial!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Fail Freq might not be defined in the XDF you are using, Universal Patcher has it though if you have the latest table seek file.

I downloaded the bin you posted and failed the MAF for you. It should trigger a MIL light to confirm you are running SD and MAF is in fact setting a DTC. If you wish, you can uncheck the ses, but keep it at [trips the code immediately] When you have ve table dialed in, just copy main VE to the MAF bin.
    Last edited by ralmo94; 10-16-2022 at 11:33 PM. Reason: typo

I downloaded the bin you posted and failed the MAF for you. It should trigger a MIL light to confirm you are running SD and MAF is in fact setting a DTC. If you wish, you can uncheck the ses, but keep it at [trips the code immediately] When you have ve table dialed in, just copy main VE to the MAF bin.
    Thank you, but where is the option located? I'm terrible at searching for things. I tried using the XDF from the same source as the plugins and nothing seems to pop out. Where is the Universal Patcher?

**EDIT**
    You mean this?
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...versal-Patcher

Yes universal patcher is a new tool to use instead of tuner pro. It's not inside of tp
    In tp you can load a compare bin and use difference finder to see if it's defined or not.

Been a while because the new radiator I put in was leaking trans fluid and I needed a new fitting to fix it. Good news is that I have a good location to tap into for a trans cooler. Still can't get PCM Logger to work with my cable, so if someone could recommend me one? Went to log and this is the results. I think there's a way to log in kpa but I must have not found it. I probably need to set everything to Metric. I still did the conversion though not sure if I'm doing this right. I think I'm running too lean now?

I did take a look at Universal Patcher and yea it won't show the MAF High Frequency with my XDF. @ralmo94 did you set the MAF High Frequency to 5 Hz to turn it off?

Yes the fail frequencies. There is a low and a high. If I remember correctly I cangend the high to 6 Hz and the low to 5 Hz. You should still be able to log MAF Hz though, but it won't do you any good in speed density.
    Universal Patcher does not use an XDF. It has a logger program built in, I believe I remember reading you have to have your bin file open and the ve table open when logging.

You can use trimalyzer to tune your VE, just follow the directions on it's website, youll need to add your VE layout to trymalyzer though. It's easy though.

Yes the fail frequencies. There is a low and a high. If I remember correctly I cangend the high to 6 Hz and the low to 5 Hz. You should still be able to log MAF Hz though, but it won't do you any good in speed density.
    Universal Patcher does not use an XDF. It has a logger program built in, I believe I remember reading you have to have your bin file open and the ve table open when logging.

You can use trimalyzer to tune your VE, just follow the directions on it's website, youll need to add your VE layout to trymalyzer though. It's easy though.
    But my conversion from PSI to kpa was done correctly? Looks like at higher RPM it's fine but at lower it's too lean?

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    But my conversion from PSI to kpa was done correctly?
    In order to answer that I would need to look at the csv and do the conversion and see if it's the same value as I got, as when you save as csv it clears all math operations and only saves the numbers. I won't be able to get to my laptop for a while yet. Just got off a plane yesterday.
    1psi = 6.895 kpa
    Screenshot_20221021-101900~2.png

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Looks like at higher RPM it's fine but at lower it's too lean?
    With a new cam and airflow changes that's to be expected. Make sure you filter your data for engine temp and throttle position > 1.
    Throttle position should keep you in the main VE

Ok here's the original logs and a bin I modified to increase the fuel based on the percent shown in Trimalyzer. I basically increased the fuel in the Main VE Table by 10% up until 1800 RPM where I started to increase it by 5% and then stopped after 2400 RPM. I'll flash it tomorrow and log to see how this plays out.

Have you read the instructions for trimalyzer, you don't have to hand edit the whole ve table, you only have to copy the table, then click modify clipboard data, then paste it back.

You do have to add your VE layout to trymalyzer though, but that's a lot easier than tuning each cell.