Thread: Looking for more power and mpg on my 02 vette

Looking for more power and mpg on my 02 vette

I've been trying to correct a tune done to my 02 Vette because last year I did a number of mods to my car which are...
    • Brian Tooley BTR Stage 2 Cam 227/238 .620"/.605" 113.5LSA
    • Ported and polished 241 heads.
    • Long tube headers with cats.
    • Vararam VR-B2 intake
    • ProTorque 3200 torque converter

Last year I took my car to Chuck of Corvettes of Westchester to tune my Vette after I had spent all last year putting this together. Sat there for 3 months and finally got it back and paid $1k for the tune. During those 3 months my trans had failed on him, so I put in a new to me trans and a Torque Converter from someone at Corvetteforum.com. Drove it upstate NY and found that I was consuming 4x more gas than before while my trans was reaching 250F when I drove bellow 60 Mph. I'm aware I need a trans cooler.

tabbruzz who sold me the Torque Converter was kind enough to see what kind of tune was done to my car to find that Chuck had turned off a number of safety features in the trans, along with disabling total lock up on the torque converter. Pulse_GTO from LS1Tech was kind enough to turn back on those safety features as well as total lockup and close loop. Don't want another dead trans even though this was rebuilt in the past.

What I wanna do now is pick at peoples brains. I have TurnPro RT working and I'm now able to flash my Vettes ECU. I want to mimic what legitstreetcars did where he got better performance while also getting good gas mileage. If I'm doing 65 Mph on the highway I'm not exactly racing the car so why not lean it out? I know the car runs rich because putting in trans fluid in the rear would burn my eyes just from the exhaust. Trying to see if I can adjust it more correctly. tabbruzz noted that while we drove around and he was logging my tune, it was running rich. He has HPTuners. I wanted to know if the air fuel ratio is setup correctly and what tables are responsible for adjusting open loop and closed loop. Also if anyone here has a similar setup to mine that I could look at their tune as a reference? I'm think I gotta drive my car around and create my own log with TunerPro RT? Any help would be appreciated.

https://youtu.be/keGz_1BwcdQ
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Dukenukemx; 09-26-2022 at 05:04 PM.

Looking at the video you posted, it looks like that person has applied a custom HP Tuners 1 BAR speed density operating system. He then is sunning the tune in opn loop and has access to a multiplier that can lean out or richen the VE table.

The tune you have does not have access to that table as it's only available with the custom operating system. But you could have access to lean cruise, that is not active on US vehicles, but can be turned on if I dive into the XDF and define the parameters.

Before we get to that, we need to make sure your fuel trims are somewhat reasonable. I would use PCM Logger to log them and make sure the Long Term Fuel Trims (LTFT) are between 0 and -5. If they are not, there are ways of using the fuel trims to tune the VE and MAF tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Pulse_GTO View Post
    Looking at the video you posted, it looks like that person has applied a custom HP Tuners 1 BAR speed density operating system. He then is sunning the tune in opn loop and has access to a multiplier that can lean out or richen the VE table.

The tune you have does not have access to that table as it's only available with the custom operating system. But you could have access to lean cruise, that is not active on US vehicles, but can be turned on if I dive into the XDF and define the parameters.

Before we get to that, we need to make sure your fuel trims are somewhat reasonable. I would use PCM Logger to log them and make sure the Long Term Fuel Trims (LTFT) are between 0 and -5. If they are not, there are ways of using the fuel trims to tune the VE and MAF tables.
    I haven't flashed the Vette just yet because of these concerns. The tune I uploaded has the trans fixed so it locks up and turns on safety features and closed loop is back on, but I'm not sure how that'll effect the car. When I did get help from tabbruzz he did use HPTuners to log. I zipped up both the log and the tune done to the car. I don't know if you have access to HPTuners.

I could turn off closed loop and leave the transmission changes and use TunerPro to log. Would that work to get fuel trims? As it is right now the Vette still has closed loop off and the trans doesn't have the TCC turned on for anything bellow 60 Mph in 4th gear. I also uploaded the original Chuck tune.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Dukenukemx; 09-26-2022 at 08:16 PM.

You can download HP Tuners vcm suite to look at tunes last I knew without paying anything, you just can't save changes without an application ID.
    No need to re-invent the wheel. But we can make it better

I do have access to HPT. You need closed loop on in order for the fuel trims to work. Before we go messing with fueling, it would be nice to see a baseline.

I have HP, but to make changes to a file I would need to license it, but that wouldn't do you any good unless you had an interface to program it with.
    No need to re-invent the wheel. But we can make it better

Quote Originally Posted by ralmo94 View Post
    You can download HP Tuners vcm suite to look at tunes last I knew without paying anything, you just can't save changes without an application ID.
    So I should flash what you changed and then log it with Tunerpro?

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    So I should flash what you changed and then log it with Tunerpro?
    You will have to since the trims are turned off in the tune currently in the vehicle. Remember that the LTFTs take a few miles to stabilize, and they should be pretty similar bank to bank.

You will have to since the trims are turned off in the tune currently in the vehicle. Remember that the LTFTs take a few miles to stabilize, and they should be pretty similar bank to bank.
    I'm trying to get TunerPro connected to my OBDLink SX USB OBD2 Scanner but it doesn't work. I selected the correct com port but when I test it can't find it. Do I need the cable connected to the car for it to be found? Also I need ADX files to begin logging but where do I find those?

I did write the changes to the car and did a quick drive around and I can immediately see the differences. Total lockup works now, and I can achieve 28 mpg at 30 mph, which is a huge improvement from before. Not like it lacks power as I've broken traction a few times at 20 mph. Had a bouncing idle at first and did stale once but when it warmed up the car drove just fine. I just gotta get a log of this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005ZWM0R4...roduct_details

I found a ODBII bluetooth adapter that I have that seems to work. It says detected and functional. What do I do to log with TunerPro?

I would use PCMLogger to log the drive.

I would use PCMLogger to log the drive.
    Tried to do this today since the weather cleared up and had no luck. It will talk to the cable but when I try to start logging it just keeps trying. What options should I select to log? Not sure why PCM Hammer works fine with my ODB cable but PCM Logger doesn't. Is there another way to get this besides Windows Store? I feel like this can't be the most recent version. Might be my cable. Again, if anyone could recommend me a ODB device that works fine with PCM Logger and TunerPro RT?