Thread: Hello! new guy intro!

Carb and Points!

Hello! new guy intro!

Thanks for the add.

I've got a 5.3 L59 from a 2006 Yukon that I've rebuilt and I'm swapping into my old jeep YJ. I'm converting it to a manual trans from the 4L60. I'm much more of a gearhead than an ECM tuner but no worries.

I had the whole Yukon as a donor so I was able to pull the entire harness, DBW, efans etc.

The manual trans swap is probably what I'll be asking the most questions about. I don't know anything about segment swaps but I'm trying get read up on it. It seems like getting it running with just a vats delete is no big deal so I can figure it out as I go.

The stock P59 is using 12619623 OS. From what I've read so far (which is probably a drop is the bucket) is an XDF yet for that OS has not been developed but the 12587811 should work...not sure ?

anyway, I'm still reading to make myself just dangerous enuff before I go rapid-fire with questions.

Any advise is appreciated.

My advice would be to use universal patcher, as it does not require an XDF, and also is capable of seg swaps, and also fixes checksums everytime you save a file.
    To seg swap, you have to have a bin that has the same os as your original file with the seg you want swapped. So you need to look and see what manual bins are available. You may need to change is. Things to look for if changing os, drive by wire vs drive by cable, 1meg p59 vs 512k p01. Make sure the 5.3 file you swap trans section to, matches your original file for these things.

Bin files can be found here
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...BDII-Bin-Files

Universal Patcher can be found here
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...versal-Patcher

Hope that helps
    No need to re-invent the wheel. But we can make it better

Carb and Points!
    Thanks for the advise on things to watch out for.

I was just fooling with universal patcher yesterday so I'm glad you just gave me confirmation of the path I was heading down.

They put a lot of work into it I try to encourage people checking it out as much as I can to try and show my appreciation. It is a huge benefit to the tuning community. Are you able to find what you need to on it? There's a lot in it.

Carb and Points!
    Too early to tell. There seems to be a lot of functionality built in to it. I stumbled on the create XDF function yesterday. I was trying to compare a 2006 7811 5.3 auto flex with a 7811 2006 6.0 manual trans. The transmission segmant swap seems straight forward. I need to spend some time to understand the fuel and spark differences between AT and MT. I'll keep poking at it for a while. The engine is still on the stand. I'm not taking the jeep down till the weather gets cold. Instead of putting the top on for winter, I'll just swap the engines. Should leave plenty time for learning to tune.

Again, much appreciated for the advise. Once I feel like I can ask an educated question, I will be sure to ask. Until then, much to read

If I remember correctly one main difference is iac routines. Not sure how they all are labeled in UP, but in obd 1 things like throttle flower throttle cracker and stall saver.
    Along with a slightly increased idle speed

Hope that helps.

Carb and Points!
    I'm just comparing the MT bin to the AT bin using two UP windows since they are two different OS. Super easy to scroll thru and compare all the tables. The descriptions are great, very helpful. Although I haven't made any changes yet, UP for the win!

A really cool feature of UP is that you can compare two different os files in the same window to see differences. You just can't seg swap across different os. I believe the way it works is it looks for the tables and such out of the bin file, instead of them being at a certain hex location in the file.

See post by kur4o one of the creators of it

Quote Originally Posted by kur4o View Post
    Updated first post with latest tableseek file. It have some maf erro parameters defined.
    A full ve patch have been on the to do list but still no free time to finish.

Some other cool features that are not widely known.

Search and compare a parameter accross multiple bin files.

Open tuner and goto Category view. Marked in red.
    Attachment 17654
    Select a parameter and rigth click->search and compare->select bin files and wait a bit.
    Attachment 17655

I'm attaching an XDF for the 12619623 OS. If you find a manual bin with this OS a segment swap is easy.

Since you are doing a swap, would you be against using a 12587811 OS bin? I'm attaching a bin that has already been segment swapped and the corresponding XDF.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Carb and Points!
    ralmo94 and Pulse_GTO, thx a ton! I think you just saved me unknown hours of spool up time. Unfortunately it will be a few months before I will be able to report back any actual results since the engine is still on the stand. Too much Work and not enough shop time these days. I will make it a point to report back and share my results. Hopefully I can help someone else in my shoes.