Thread: JETDST Read PCM as BIN

Carb and Points!

JETDST Read PCM as BIN

Anyone tried to use JETDST to read PCM memory straight to a .bin file via test mode? I am able to read my 98 Vortec black box PCM no issue without test mode, straight to .jcl file, but no good luck yet reading straight to BIN format.If using the "full cal" option and selecting 98-00 Vortec, the program pops up a window asking for a "special security key" during the PCM unlocking stage. I don't know what this value would be so I have to cancel and the read never happens.JETDST_test_mode_full.JPGI have also tried the other option to read a specific module location, and just typed what should be the whole length of the file. Interestingly, this does go completely through the process and the software is able to unlock the PCM, no special key required. The resulting file however is 524,304 bytes long and looks nothing like a known good BIN file (from elsewhere on this site).JETDST_test_mode_module.JPGI've attached a read I got. Maybe someone can make sense of what this software is reading out. Also of note, the DST tuner software is unable to read the resulting read BIN file. It errors out, where as it is able to read known good BIN files from elsewhere on this site. This makes me think the JETFlash software is faulty, but I have no frame of reference.I've emailed JET with all this info, but as you'd expect, no response. Do these same options, screens exist for TC to save as .bin? Anyone have any suggestions or can make heads or tales of this resulting BIN file?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by kawmatt2; 09-21-2022 at 02:20 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Yes, the read is corrupted it looks to have just thrown garbage in the buffer. Try changing the read to end at 524287, your file ended at 8000F instead of 7FFFFh(524287d)
    -Carl

Fuel Injected!
    What version of dst you are using. I have tested older versions and there is no issue there reading bins. Did you try opening good known bins, this bins should be deleted since it is somehow corrupted.

Carb and Points!
    Thanks folks.Tried again tonight and changed the end to 524287. Got some slightly different behavior when trying to then open the BIN in DST. Have attached this version BIN.JETDST Tuner Bad BIN Open Error.jpgJETDST Tuner Bad BIN Open Error2.jpgI am using the version of DSTuner and Flash program that came with the 14005 (USB version) on a USB stick. I purchased this used, but I think its vintage is 2020.JETDST Tuner Version.JPGJETDST Flash Version.JPGYes, I gather from searching through this forum, thirdgen, and pcmhacking that no one else seems to have this problem. Either full call bin reading or ending up with a messed up file. Yes, DSTuner is able to read known good bin files (downloaded for this site). See below.JETDST Tuner Good BIN Open.jpgJETDST Tuner Good BIN.jpgI've been searching around for an older version of the DST software to try it, but no luck so far. Anyone else have any suggestions. Still no response from JET support. I am tempted to email CATS support, on the off chance that they may be able to put a bug in the folks at JET's ear.

Fuel Injected!
    I wouldn't be worried about emailing John at TunerCat(tc@tunercat.com) since that is his software. I don't have a black box here to test but the last one I did I used TunerCat and it wouldn't read the .bin file but would read the .cal file. I mentioned this to John and he said he must have "broken" something in one of the updates, so we laughed and that was that cuz it didn't matter to me at the time. So, he's aware, you might just have to give him a nudge ;)
    -Carl

Carb and Points!
    Good suggestion Carl. John responded within a day to provide an update (4.29) to the JetFlash software. This update just got installed right over top of the existing install directory and I guess patched the files. It solved the issue of the software not being able to unlock the black box PCM during a requested "full cal" bin read. Unfortunately the resulting BIN file was still full of garbage. Another email to John and he sent me another update (4.30) the next day. Installing this in the existing program install directory solved all the issues. Bin's are read/saved properly now.

I am still shocked that John helped me so freely and without any expectation for compensation. Really impressed. He also has no issue with me sharing the 4.30 update file here for anyone else who may be having this problem with the JET software. It is attached below.

If this site would accept it, I would also upload the complete DST software installation files. Its about 122 MB though so I can't attach it to a post. Maybe someone else has a suggestion where to drop it.

Fuel Injected!
    There are several free fileserve sites available, and you could just post a link to the file on one of them into a forum post. Examples:

mega.nz
    drive.google.com
    dropbox.com
    1990 Corvette (Manual)
    1994 Corvette (Automatic)
    1995 Corvette (Manual)

Fuel Injected!
    John is an incredibly good guy, I have known him for almost 30 years. Due to copyright stuff, I am not so sure about posting even a link to the entire dst installation stuff. Glad to hear you are all fixed up now
    -Carl