Thread: Thinking 'bout a 2nd fan for A/C

Thinking 'bout a 2nd fan for A/C

Well I've been enjoying rocking the Efan control with the 7427 here lately. I'm thinking though, about adding a 2nd fan. Now the electric fan on there cools the engine without even breaking a sweat. But, I think adding a 2nd, smaller fan will help draw more air across my condenser and therefore improve low speed A/C function... I found out that some trucks like mine apparently had an auxillary electric fan between the grill and condenser (pusher fan) so it should fit there easily.

If I am to add this fan to help AC, I see at least two options for wiring it up. Either have it triggered by the same wire that commands the engine fan on.... --OR-- Wire this fan so that it comes on whenever the PCM commands the AC compressor ON... Which one would you guys use???

BTW. It seems as if the fan code is setup to kick the Efan on when the compressor cycles so maybe it doesn't matter which way it's wired. But can anybody who knows more about the fan code confirm this??
    Last edited by CDeeZ; 08-14-2012 at 10:08 PM.

I have twin dual speed fans. My high speed fan comes on when the ac is turned on and is very effective. In your case I would run both fans on separate circuits and have them both come on with the A/C. Then when the ac isn't on the second fan would act as additional cooling if required.
    87 4Runner, 15" spring lift, 3" body, chevy vortec 355, 5.29 gears, 38.5x15.5x15" Boggers, 280hr, 16168625 running $0D
    93 S10, 36x12.5x15 TSL's, custom turbo headers, 266HR cam, p&p vortec heads, $0D Marine MPFI with 8psi boost.
    05 Silverado, 2' lift, 4" exhaust, Bully Dog programmer,