Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: PCM 16196396 Range selector 4L60E?

I remember reading a very old thread where grumpy was was teaching how to tune, I believe it was before this forum was strated. The XDF's available at that time if I remember correctly you had to do math and compute what the bias was. Been a long time since I read it, but I believe it is all handled by the XDF. My only attempt at altering them produced terrible results and I had to go back to a bin before I altered them, I may have had to start over with a download of a stock bin I don't remember. But then I remembered that ancient thread and felt foolish for messing with it. Lol.

Yes pe adds spark, I believe it is under PE spark, has a single column table with rpm as the axis.

If you want to run the open loop bin, all you should have to do is copy your VE and paste it in the open loop bin, same for idle ve. It should run the same as the closed loop bin I supplied you. Then I recommend you just follow the instructions in the how to tune open loop document I created. I spent a lot of time making Sure it wasn't a huge read and easy to follow. I also made a video demonstration of how to use it.
    The video is a little long as it's meant to help people who also struggle with computers. But it is here.

thiS is the method I suggest using to finish tuning.
    Also for the knock, I suggest you reduce the whole table 2 deg until you are done with ve . If you continue taking timing out and still have the same kr and counts, it could be false. Give the engine bay a good look over for loose rattling heat shields and so on, also do you have a old barrel style starter, or a gear reduction? The old one can rattle around and mess with the knock sensor or so I've been told
    Last edited by ralmo94; 10-10-2022 at 12:15 AM.
    No need to re-invent the wheel. But we can make it better

Quote Originally Posted by Rob 689 View Post
    I also think im ready to use the wide band to tune the PE but i dont know how. I have the wbo2 spreadsheet for the ve tables and i really like how it works and how it breaks down the data in the log but how do i make it work for PE?

Can trimalyzer tune the PE tables specifically using wideband?
    Yes it can. Set filter for power enrichment true, I think that's the only filter you need.

Can't help you with the spreadsheet as I never have used it, I get great results from trimalyzer so I never messes with it.

I think I was typing while you were, if you are getting kr under knock only, you could zero out the PE spark. If you are running around 12 + or - .3 I wouldn't go any richer.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by ralmo94 View Post
    Yes it can. Set filter for power enrichment true, I think that's the only filter you need.

Can't help you with the spreadsheet as I never have used it, I get great results from trimalyzer so I never messes with it.
    I was trying all the options to see what i like. I still dont have an answer they both have strong positives. I couldn’t find a table resolution that matched the idle table in my bin so copy and pasting didnt work so i just copied rows that matched over from the main table that i had already correct and then i would interpolate the columns to fill in the missing rows. Not dure if thats correct or if theres just a setting im missing. Other than that, which is probably me not knowing how to use it entirely anyways, the trimalyzer is great.

I was trying all the options to see what i like. I still dont have an answer they both have strong positives. I couldn’t find a table resolution that matched the idle table in my bin so copy and pasting didnt work so i just copied rows that matched over from the main table that i had already correct and then i would interpolate the columns to fill in the missing rows. Not dure if thats correct or if theres just a setting im missing. Other than that, which is probably me not knowing how to use it entirely anyways, the trimalyzer is great.
    You have to add the idle. If you fast forward my video to about 12 min in I show how.

Fuel Injected!
    I also haven’t played with the filter in trimalyzer at all. Ill be checking that out next i dont know why i hadn’t already

I also haven’t played with the filter in trimalyzer at all. Ill be checking that out next i dont know why i hadn’t already
    Yeah if you don't filter data for ve changes you have to turn PE off AE, decel, ect, when you filter it all out you can just drive normal, and combine a couple logs, and you don't even have to wait till the truck warms up to start logging if you filter for engine temp.

Fuel Injected!
    Yeah if you don't filter data for ve changes you have to turn PE off AE, decel, ect, when you filter it all out you can just drive normal, and combine a couple logs, and you don't even have to wait till the truck warms up to start logging if you filter for engine temp.
    Yeah i think the spreadsheet does all that automatically. It only does wbo2 and only for the 7427 family of pcms if im understanding correctly. Trimalyzer can be made to work for a lot of things if im not mistaken?

Fuel Injected!
    I remember reading a very old thread where grumpy was was teaching how to tune, I believe it was before this forum was strated. The XDF's available at that time if I remember correctly you had to do math and compute what the bias was. Been a long time since I read it, but I believe it is all handled by the XDF. My only attempt at altering them produced terrible results and I had to go back to a bin before I altered them, I may have had to start over with a download of a stock bin I don't remember. But then I remembered that ancient thread and felt foolish for messing with it. Lol.

Yes pe adds spark, I believe it is under PE spark, has a single column table with rpm as the axis.

If you want to run the open loop bin, all you should have to do is copy your VE and paste it in the open loop bin, same for idle ve. It should run the same as the closed loop bin I supplied you. Then I recommend you just follow the instructions in the how to tune open loop document I created. I spent a lot of time making Shure it wasn't a huge reason and easy to follow. I also made a video demonstration of how to use it.
    The video is a little long as it's meant to help people who also struggle with computers. But it is here.

thiS is the method I suggest using to finishtuning.
    Also for the knock, I suggest you reduce the whole table 2 deg until you are done with ve . If you continue taking timing out and still have the same kr and counts, it could be false. Give the engine bay a good look over for loose rattling heat shields and so on, also do you have a old barrel style starter, or a gear reduction? The old one can rattle around and mess with the knock sensor or so I've been told
    So yeah I finally got a minute to sit down anf watch through the trimalyzer video and yeah I definitely was doing it wrong. I didn’t realize how many filter options there are etc or that i could make a table with appropriate layout for the idle ve, it wasnt already there so i thought it just wasnt there lol. Thank you its really easy to use and the couple adjustments i made to my main ve table originally were with solid good results and i didnt even know what i was doing, it definitely seems to work
    Last edited by Rob 689; 10-08-2022 at 07:36 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    To run open loop what is changed? The blm and int get locked at 128 using the minimum and maximum scalars right? That bin that i had that wouldnt update the blm was probably an open loop file now that i think about it. I suppose i was supposed to start tuning in open loop then tune in closed loop and im assuming that’s probably why the other guy gave me a file that had the blm locked. I just didn’t realize it but now i think i deleted it.

Fuel Injected!
    What else gets changed tho? Tables? Cus when i matched those blm parameters scalars with a stock bin the dang thing still wouldnt update so theres other things need changed as well correct?

What else gets changed tho? Tables? Cus when i matched those blm parameters scalars with a stock bin the dang thing still wouldnt update so theres other things need changed as well correct?
    Closed loop temp, temp for blm update open loop afr and integrator parameters also.
    I have already done that work for you and there is a ol bin and a cl bin in the manual zip file on the how to article.

If you want to see the issues I was having when I figured it out it's in a thread on here called open loop blm

As you get close, you should look at your VE table in 3d also to make sure there are no huge dips, as map goes up ve should to, same should be said for RPM until you get to the peak rpm, then it can taper off a little, kinda make a guess at the areas you never reach the table should look fairly smooth and linear.

Fuel Injected!
    Closed loop temp, temp for blm update open loop afr and integrator parameters also.
    I have already done that work for you and there is a ol bin and a cl bin in the manual zip file on the how to article.

If you want to see the issues I was having when I figured it out it's in a thread on here called open loop blm

As you get close, you should look at your VE table in 3d also to make sure there are no huge dips, as map goes up ve should to, same should be said for RPM until you get to the peak rpm, then it can taper off a little, kinda make a guess at the areas you never reach the table should look fairly smooth and linear.
    Awsome thank you. sorry i just automatically assumed it was all auto. its hard to find the manual stuff a little bit.

And thank you for the advice with tuning.
    Last edited by Rob 689; 10-08-2022 at 09:17 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    I also did smooth my whole fuel maps both idle and off idle a few adjustments ago when i first tried out the trimalyzer i smoothed everything column by column then row by row with a factor of .7 like i read to do on another thread here it was a turorial on using a spreadsheet and the blm to tune. Its pretty decent it could probably get smoothed out again as its starting to get less flat and smooth, it seemed to change alot of the data points by doing it every single time. perhaps .7 is too much after the initial smoothing? it is quite rough to begin with but maybe i should try a smaller amount.

Awsome thank you. sorry i just automatically assumed it was all auto. its hard to find the manual stuff a little bit.

And thank you for the advice with tuning.
    Yeah I added the manual zip when you confirmed there were no major issues with it.

perhaps .7 is too much after the initial smoothing? it is quite rough to begin with but maybe i should try a smaller amount.
    If I use the auto smoothing feature, I always have it way turned down, I like to look at the log in trimalyzer for the cells that have a spike or dip, if you mouse over, it will tell you how many samples it was based on, if all the samples counts are similar, Them I average the adjacent cells, and either fill all three with that number, or choose three numbers that increment in the right direction that still averages the same number. Thats just how I do it, you can also select just a few cells and smooth only them and not the whole table, you probably already know that.