Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: PCM 16196396 Range selector 4L60E?

I plugged your logs into trimalyzer and it looks like there is defiantly room for improvement on your ve.

Since you have a wide band now, I highly recommend you follow my how to and use the visibility xdf I included and only change your VE s.

I also strongly reccomend that anytime you make changes to your bin, as soon as you open tuner pro, click on [file] > [save as] and create as new file name for the changes you are about to make. Some use dates in file name, others use changes, such as [ VE 2 ]
    This way if you "screw something up" as you put it, you can easily roll back a bin.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ralmo94; 10-04-2022 at 08:21 AM.
    No need to re-invent the wheel. But we can make it better

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by ralmo94 View Post
    So if you can confirm that the $od manual bin works with no known issues, I'll add it to my how to article. If you tie your 0-5 volt output on the egr position pin you can log AFR and run open loop. Another thing you can do with trimalyzer is filter for idle flag false tune main ve then change idle flag to true and tune idle ve.
    So i do have an issue with the shift light still coming on when im in fifth gear as if i had a 6th gear to go to which isnt an issue but is slightly annoying any idea how to solve that lol.

on a side note i cant seem to get rid of my knock counts entirely and it goes into knock retard alot less now after a VE adjustment but still goes into knock retard sometimes.

On the shift light, if you don't need it and want to just get rid of it entirely, you can edit min temp for shift light, set it to max allowed. That should take care of that.
    If you want to leave it functional, it may require a little experimentation.

As far as knock goes, if Ve is off it can cause knock, when in trimalyzer, you should filter out for knock retard less than 0.5. If you still get KR after VE is dialed in, it may be false, but I would wait to explore that until trimalyzer says you are between 0 and -5

Also thanks for the update on issues. I appreciate it as I don't have a manual truck to test on.

Fuel Injected!
    On the shift light, if you don't need it and want to just get rid of it entirely, you can edit min temp for shift light, set it to max allowed. That should take care of that.
    If you want to leave it functional, it may require a little experimentation.

As far as knock goes, if Ve is off it can cause knock, when in trimalyzer, you should filter out for knock retard less than 0.5. If you still get KR after VE is dialed in, it may be false, but I would wait to explore that until trimalyzer says you are between 0 and -5

Also thanks for the update on issues. I appreciate it as I don't have a manual truck to test on.
    Yeah no problem. Im actually using the wbo2 spreadsheet that i think it was dave that made it, theres a whole thread for it. Same guy that made the blm one. But trimalyzer while it worked and was pretty dang easy to use the spreadsheet is still just copy and paste you just gotta be a little more careful about not messing up the spreadsheet. But wbo2 spreadsheet seems to be have written specifically for these pcms and these alone where as like trimalyzer has some fuel map layouts that dont match presumably for tuning a variety of things a great tool no doubt but the spreadsheet has specific idle and off idle ve table support and has all the correct table layout all the cells line up etc and it seems to actually have some filtering ability too

Fuel Injected!
    Definitely gonna keep trimalyzer around but im getting my feet wet innthe spreadsheet now. I am trying to make my truck better but i think its more of a giuney pig for me to practice on at this point lol. It ran good enough originally to just leave it alone but i wanted to get into tuning and eventually do more with the truck

Fuel Injected!
    Also my knock counts after a few adjustments are only showing up under power enrichment. I need the wbo2 and pe support of the spreadsheet at this point too

Quote Originally Posted by Rob 689 View Post
    Also my knock counts after a few adjustments are only showing up under power enrichment. I need the wbo2 and pe support of the spreadsheet at this point too
    That's what trimalyzer is good for. It also will generate a knock count map, and you can filter data to pe only if you want.
    Trimalyzer won't let you use the wrong layout. The table you copy has to match the table in trimalyzer.
    You can also add tables to it, like the idle table doesn't come with it, but I add it.

I remember seeing the thread on the spreadsheet, trimalyzer also had a thread on it when steveo was working with it.

Fuel Injected!
    Please report back about how that bin runs after you run it.

I have the OL one on my laptop. Let me know when you are ready for it and I'll get it to you.

so i think i figured out what’s causing my knock counts. When i go past about 35 percent throttle the spark advance jumps to the max 50 degrees advanced. Even under load pulling a hill. It starts bringing the timing back as you lay into the throttle going up a hill but then at 34.5% TPS it consistently in all gears jumps to 50 degrees advanced. Not sure why its doing that tho but i havent played with it yet i just noticed on the way home from work and haven’t looked through the bin yet or anything. Any suggestions were to look first?

Fuel Injected!
    Is main spark bias what the distributor is set too?

Negative spark advance is reported as max. When you give it more you could be moving to a area of the table that causes more advance, or you could be causing pe spark. Don't mess with any bias! These are computed automatically and if you change them they won't be right.

I can't remember exactly off the top of my head what the distributor timing is called but I believe it is something like base timing. The parameter comments will say. You should read the comments in the XDF before making any changes to something.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob 689 View Post
    Is main spark bias what the distributor is set too?
    Here is how to see parameter comments.
    TunerPro_65IdT7OVjN.jpg

Here is what the distributor base timing is in the $od xdf
    TunerPro_FMmk6pCwYC.jpg

Hope that helps

Fuel Injected!
    Negative spark advance is reported as max. When you give it more you could be moving to a area of the table that causes more advance, or you could be causing pe spark. Don't mess with any bias! These are computed automatically and if you change them they won't be right.

I can't remember exactly off the top of my head what the distributor timing is called but I believe it is something like base timing. The parameter comments will say. You should read the comments in the XDF before making any changes to something.
    Yeah i kinda figured out the base timing thing. So what id spark bias then?

I didnt know about parameter comments. I noticed if you hover over things eith the mouse it says some little info on some of the things but didnt know about that menu option ill check it out.

That kinda nakes sense about the negative spark being seen as advanced spark cus it looked like the dial in the guage on tunerpro was like glitching out and i was curious if that could be it but didnt know at all lol.

Also i think im ready for the open loop file? Can you explain to me what i should be doing with that again. Also ive got my fueling very close but still not spot on and my last adjustment was worse than before so im like getting to a point were maybe my method isnt the greatest like maybe my data log is muddied by bad data?

I still get crap loads of knock counts. And the knock retard activates and goes to around 3-5 degrees retard if i keep my foot in it sometimes more but usually its only pulling a few degrees. How do i make that stop tho? Does power enrichment add spark? Surely its not a lean knock my wideband says between 11.5 and 12.5 under PE. Also should PE take forever to kick in?

Also when you say the bias is computed automatically, how? Like how is it determined what its supposed to be. Not that i think it needs changed but im curious and it seems the more i learn about how the computer operates the easier it is to get the results i want out of ny adjustments instead of blindly trying stuff lol. Already all the parameters and tables are starting to become less overwhelming lol at first the amount of crap added with the new computer compared to the simplicity of the old one had me going oh what did i get into for a second lol

Fuel Injected!
    I drive about 17 miles one way to work and during that time j got like 20,000 total knock counts. Used to be like zero in the old computer but it also had that external esc module so idk maybe thst was hiding some from the computer? Im running 87 octane btw

Is it normal to see some knocks under normal conditions with these computers? Surely i shouldnt get that many. It seems to go into knock retard mode during PE events. The spark advance jumping to 50 i think is the negative spark being reported as max advance like you said. Is there a way to change the definition file or like re configure the guage or something to fix the negative spark being reported as max? Its not critical but it wpuld be nice to be able to see the actual negative spark numbers

Fuel Injected!
    Or should i give it more afr during PE? Or is there like a pe spark setting? I also read the original prom chip out of the computer and figured out mostly how to get it to become manual and its the same as your file you gave me except a few things i didnt change over and my idle is like too low etc and that file you gave me is actually set up pretty good. Ill be going back to it as i dont wanna waste time trying to convert to a manual bin when i already gave a solid one. I also thought for some reason this entire time thag the original bin from the pcm was written in $0E and so as such i thought i wasn't able to compare to it to see what things were changed but as it turns out its $0D andcso i can totally compare everything to it and yeah.

I also ended up with the same issue on the shift light being stuck active in fifth gear lol for what its worth. Anyways the file you gave me seems solid the issues im having exist in the original bin that came from the computer too. I wish i could just load up my original bin from the old computer but its 9A i csnt compare to it and its waay different.

Fuel Injected!
    I also think im ready to use the wide band to tune the PE but i dont know how. I have the wbo2 spreadsheet for the ve tables and i really like how it works and how it breaks down the data in the log but how do i make it work for PE?

Can trimalyzer tune the PE tables specifically using wideband?