Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: PCM 16196396 Range selector 4L60E?

Fuel Injected!

PCM 16196396 Range selector 4L60E?

I have 16196396 PCM swapped into a 350 manual set up.

Does anyone out there know how the range selector works and what pins i need to ground or supply voltage to in order to get the pcm to think its in the right gear?

Right now with all the range selector inputs open when i plug the laptop in it says its in 2nd gear. I need to make it think its in drive for the manual set up correct? Or do i want it to say nuetral?

Fuel Injected!
    start with a manual calibration

Fuel Injected!
    Hi Rob,
    I don't follow all of the posts so I am not sure what you are doing. I was under the impression you had converted to the red/blue 7427 style computer.
    If you have, and don't have a 4l60e then the PRDNL switch doesn't matter, just adjust the tables for in gear stuff cuz it doesn't know which gear you are in. If you are capable of letting the red/blue 'puter know if you are in gear or not, the idle transition quality can get much better, also the ac on/off too.
    -Carl

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by In-Tech View Post
    Hi Rob,
    I don't follow all of the posts so I am not sure what you are doing. I was under the impression you had converted to the red/blue 7427 style computer.
    If you have, and don't have a 4l60e then the PRDNL switch doesn't matter, just adjust the tables for in gear stuff cuz it doesn't know which gear you are in. If you are capable of letting the red/blue 'puter know if you are in gear or not, the idle transition quality can get much better, also the ac on/off too.
    Yes correct i have converted to the red blue style computer. And yes it is in a manual. The one specifically is the 16196395 PCM

I thought the PRNDL had to be either in drive or neutral?

If all i gotta do is adjust the in gear tables could you point me in the right direction as to what i need to be adjusting? Im a quick learner and this kinda stuff is right up my alley this is just the first time ive ever done anything with tuning and im still learning how the dam thing even operates and what everything in the code means.

And you say letting it know if its in gear or not for idle transition quality? Like make it think its in drive 100% of the time? I noticed the old computer that was factory equipment in my truck when data logging before the swap it said its in drive 100% of the time and thats from gm like that.

If thats what it needs eventually for smoother better operation i might as well get it right now.

How would i go about telling it its in gear?

It currently says 2nd gear when i hook up to it with the laptop and key on engine off. I also cant get it to start it backfires out the intake for some reason.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by tayto View Post
    start with a manual calibration
    I got a what im told is a manual calibration from In-Tech out of another thread already

There are no factory calibrations for this computer and a 350 with a manual. This computer only came with manual in the 7.4L big block

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob 689 View Post
    I got a what im told is a manual calibration from In-Tech out of another thread already

There are no factory calibrations for this computer and a 350 with a manual. This computer only came with manual in the 7.4L big block

It came with a 4.3L/Manual too. The V6 file is easier to convert to a 350 file than the 454 one.

Fuel Injected!
    Shoot Rob, I gotta look back at my file. That was a 350. I did that over at Whipple's yeeeeeeeears ago and it's sticking in my mind now that it could have had a 454 TB and injectors causing your lean condition. I gotta look back at it. I am headed to the dyno to tune a 73 Caddy 500in carbed thingy this morning so I'll look tonight when I get home. Please post all the specs for your combination and I'll rig up a file for you tonight as a decent starting point. I believe from memory, if the prndl switch is unplugged or not there, it will show "in gear" 100% of the time.
    -Carl

Administrator
    "500in carbed thingy"

Have fun doing archaeological research!

Fuel Injected!
    Hiya Rob,
    That other file was for a whipplecharged 350 and it had a cam in it along with police injectors. This new file is for a stock 350, stock throttle body, stock fuel pressure.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by In-Tech; 09-20-2022 at 07:20 AM.
    -Carl

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    It came with a 4.3L/Manual too. The V6 file is easier to convert to a 350 file than the 454 one.
    Good to know, i never ever would have guessed.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by In-Tech View Post
    Hiya Rob,
    That other file was for a whipplecharged 350 and it had a cam in it along with police injectors. This new file is for a stock 350, stock throttle body, stock fuel pressure.
    Ahhh makes sense. Thank you for the help. Ill try it now booting up the laptop now (typing this on my phone)

As for the specs of my build as far as i know the truck is original 94 gmc k1500 5.7 manual 4wd. I installed headers and built an exhaust on the truck. And now installed a wideband and the new PCM. Ill include a picture of the RPO codes sticker just in case.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fuel Injected!
    Hmmm still not working. Back fired clearly out the tail pipe this time. Got a fire ball out the throttle body the other time. I think there’s something wrong with my swap i need to back and double check everything, again.. Frustrating
    Last edited by Rob 689; 09-20-2022 at 09:55 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Unless anyones got any ideas?

Fuel Injected!
    Hey so sorry guys it was my fault why it wouldnt run. Long story short i had the engine harness off and back on and in the process i had re installed the plug wires by memory and didnt look anything up and I accidentally went around the distributor counter clockwise wise i stead of clockwise by accident…. So stupid.. thank you for the file carl it works. I need to do dome tuning to dile it in but it fired and revved this morning before work so yeah… ugh i feel so dumb just glad i found it and can move on with the project thanks so much everybody.

Fuel Injected!
    -Carl