Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: PCM 16196396 Range selector 4L60E?

Fuel Injected!
    So my map sensor isnt reading. Could that be in the bin?

also im not able to view the blm data or af least i cant find it now in the new mask i was on $9A before the pcm swap so yeah huge difference lol
    Last edited by Rob 689; 09-21-2022 at 06:03 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    I also have no history tables. ?

Fuel Injected!
    I don't understand pcm swapping when you can't even get a relatively stock engine to run on it's original ECM. you're really making things harder than they need to be. Like I said a few weeks ago in one of your other threads you need to get your mechanical problems fixed before you start tuning. Map sensor not working? have you done basic checks with a wiring diagram and multimeter? are you even using the right xdf for the PCM you are using?

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by tayto View Post
    I don't understand pcm swapping when you can't even get a relatively stock engine to run on it's original ECM. you're really making things harder than they need to be. Like I said a few weeks ago in one of your other threads you need to get your mechanical problems fixed before you start tuning. Map sensor not working? have you done basic checks with a wiring diagram and multimeter? are you even using the right xdf for the PCM you are using?
    Alright guy you need to fuck off I already told you there are no “mechanical” issues with the truck. I dont know how you can even post on a forum when you dont even know how to fucking read. Read this thread specifically ive already poured through the truck with a wire diagram errors happen its life. As it turns out the map sensor was an error with my laptop for whatever reason i had to re open the definition file for the data acquisition and it works fantastic truck is running great now. My bad for jumping to the forum hoping for an answer a little patience on my end would have been good. Stop trash talking my build you cant diagnose a vehicle that your not even present in front of.

im not trying to be an ass but seriously your being negative as fuck your just following me around on the forum bad talking my build saying it’s injectors or my throttle body rebuild/injector cleaning method is wrong.

You do realize not even tuner shops fuck with this shit right? Only three tuner shops in the nation that even play with tuning and burning chips for a stock gm pcm let alone swapping like this. I would think tuner shops are far more extensively expensive than i or you for that matter. This shit isnt easy stop harassing me every time when my build has a hickup.
    Last edited by Rob 689; 09-21-2022 at 06:09 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    Also what the fuck are you talking about not getting a “relatively stock motor to run on its original ecm” Do you realize your talking out your fucking ass? The truck was running. It ran fucking fantastic. Before I swapped the ecm i did tune a little bit not alot on the old computer and i was able to keep up with my 2012 silverado off the line up to about 50 then it walked. Auto 6 speed LS motor with very low miles. 20 year difference in the trucks. 200,000 on my 94 and only 80,000 miles on the silverado. Sounds pretty fucking healthy to me. Oh yeah and my clutch is worn i need to hurry up and replace it it likes to slip just a hair under a hard launch. The truck did run. Learn how to read guy. “I don’t understand pcm swapping when you cant even…” bla bla bla. I cabt understand trash talking when you cant even read what your trash talking about.

Your a fucking internet troll get a life you cant have mine.

Fuel Injected!
    plug wires in the wrong spot is a mechanical problem. no amount of pcm swapping or tuning will fix it.

Fuel Injected!
    plug wires in the wrong spot is a mechanical problem. no amount of pcm swapping or tuning will fix it.
    Are you kidding me. Your obviously not a mechanic if youve never had a simple fuck up like that on a big project. It happens to the best of people.

your the only one bothered by this

and your implying that you believe i swapped the pcm to fix a plug wire problem? The plugs wires happened during the swap. Again learn how to fucking read.
    Last edited by Rob 689; 09-22-2022 at 04:57 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Not my business... tayto has been very helpful to a lot of people. Some times typing can come across wrong. Take all of it with a grain of salt. I am glad to hear you are well on your way to a happier tune.
    -Carl

Fuel Injected!
    I do apologize to everyone in the thread for my language. Sometimes i react a bit quickly and rash

Fuel Injected!
    Yeah tayto was saying something about some async vs sync fueling and i did go do a crap ton of reading on the subject it was helpful. I dont mean to overshadow everything with a sour temperament. And funny enough my injectors did just start making audible noise recently. You can hear inside the cab now just so slightly. The spray pattern is still looking decentish. The truck is running super rich now too. Haven’t gotten a chance to play with it yet as i fried my wbo2 trying to start it with the plug wires fucked i flooded the sensor obviously. Have a new factory narrow band in hand its the better 3 wire one and i got a spar harness with the plug on it i can use so itll look original. Also i think ill be buying injectors now.

I apologize for getting irritated but the truck is in no way anywhere even near not in good running order. I bought the truck from a young kid who clearly wasnt nice to trucks and judging by the rest in his yard and the one he was driving he fidnt have this one long cus it wasnt totally fucked yet but i still had alot of work to bring it back. I pretty mych saved the truck from this kid. I have crawled through this truck time and time over againi know every bolt damn near.

The truck now aside from the cab corners being rusty the truck is in fantastic condition and im constantly replacing shit pre emptively now ive finally gotten ahead of it. The injectors arent showing any symptoms aside from the recent noisy pintle operation loud clicking. Very audible. The cleaning was inly temporary theyre fucked but i just hadnt gotten that far. Ive only got one oil change in her not many miles on the truck by me. The truck is nice and i do not meglect things. Now that symptoms are returning i do know the injectors are in fact dying. I felt like i was being hounded about it tho and they were working fine at the time so yeah i do apologize but like at least see where i was coming from

Fuel Injected!
    The noise isnt all the time tho. Barely did it but was audible but then it disappeared again. Actually first noticed last night then this morning nothing. Truck is parked waiting on sensors anyways

Fuel Injected!
    i am not shitting on your project. i have been messing around with GM fuel injection since I was 17, did my first TBI swap when I was 19 into a 64 Impala that I had pulled out of a field when I was in high school. I worked as an automotive mechanic out of high school, then went and did aircraft mechanics until the recession near the end of 2009 and have been an elevator mechanic since 2011. not dick measuring just sharing my background. i information slurped on the gmefi mailing list for years until it went defunct and read thirdgen.org back in its hayday. i post here to try and share/pass down knowledge i have gotten From the net. this is the first time i have been called a "troll". ever. i do not have a lot of time to type essays so i try to keep posts short and too the point. if you take it as harsh then so be it. i am not a fan when people don't even try to figure out a problem and post on a forum demanding instant help. I usually put in about as much effort into helping them as they have tried solving thwir only problem, remember we are all doing this FOR FREE. i have been where you have, attemping a pcm swap and then pullin my hair out for weeks only to swap back to the original ecm and have things back to normal. then eventually changing my approach/method once i gained more experience and knowledge. i have chased
    my tail on problems that were bad injectors and tried all sorts of solutions to clean injectors, i even have my own ultrasonic cleaner that I use for carburetors. i bought a device that will pulse the injectors, while this works the best i have found is getting them professionally cleaned, they have an ultrasonic cleaner that will destroy tin foil. they also flow the injectors before and after, I have had sets done where there is as much as 15% difference! i rebuild about half a dozen or more tbi units per year, all by word of mouth. i rebush the throttle shaft, clean and sometimes bead blast the throttle body if needed. i also offer a "warranty” only if the injectors are cleaned professionally. usually those that come back are happy after injectors have been cleaned and flowed. have had better luck with cleaning oem injectors vs buying "new" aftermarket. YMMV

Fuel Injected!
    i am not shitting on your project. i have been messing around with GM fuel injection since I was 17, did my first TBI swap when I was 19 into a 64 Impala that I had pulled out of a field when I was in high school. I worked as an automotive mechanic out of high school, then went and did aircraft mechanics until the recession near the end of 2009 and have been an elevator mechanic since 2011. not dick measuring just sharing my background. i information slurped on the gmefi mailing list for years until it went defunct and read thirdgen.org back in its hayday. i post here to try and share/pass down knowledge i have gotten From the net. this is the first time i have been called a "troll". ever. i do not have a lot of time to type essays so i try to keep posts short and too the point. if you take it as harsh then so be it. i am not a fan when people don't even try to figure out a problem and post on a forum demanding instant help. I usually put in about as much effort into helping them as they have tried solving thwir only problem, remember we are all doing this FOR FREE. i have been where you have, attemping a pcm swap and then pullin my hair out for weeks only to swap back to the original ecm and have things back to normal. then eventually changing my approach/method once i gained more experience and knowledge. i have chased
    my tail on problems that were bad injectors and tried all sorts of solutions to clean injectors, i even have my own ultrasonic cleaner that I use for carburetors. i bought a device that will pulse the injectors, while this works the best i have found is getting them professionally cleaned, they have an ultrasonic cleaner that will destroy tin foil. they also flow the injectors before and after, I have had sets done where there is as much as 15% difference! i rebuild about half a dozen or more tbi units per year, all by word of mouth. i rebush the throttle shaft, clean and sometimes bead blast the throttle body if needed. i also offer a "warranty” only if the injectors are cleaned professionally. usually those that come back are happy after injectors have been cleaned and flowed. have had better luck with cleaning oem injectors vs buying "new" aftermarket. YMMV
    I do appreciate the knowledge and i dont mean to take away from that i was frustrated and i do apologize. Trust me there is no lack of effort to fix mechanical issues as they arise. The truck barely ran when i got it due to vacuum leaks and piss poor exhaust system and a few other things. I extracted like 5 broken manifold bolts from this kid i bought it from. the cat plugged and he removed an exhaust donut. Luckily it seems he didnt have it for long it would have ended up a parts rig. The truck is fairly clean too.

Question....

Can these injectors be noisy but still be okay? I know they all make some noise during operation but is noise enough to write them off? like is it worth having them proffesionally cleaned if they might just say theyre F****D anyways?

Any way i can make my own bench test rig??

I do have another set of aftermarket injectors off of the parts rig but they leaked on the bench with my hacked cleaning set up. The ones in my truck now are its originals stamped gm.

Any recomendations for where to send them out to new ones are pretty dang expensive. Should i just buy ac delco replacements? I cleaned them my self on the bench and the noise did go away for quite a while but is coming back i drove it some more today after i did the heated narrow band upgrade with the later year factory 3 wire o2

still waiting on my narrow band replacement.

as far as back ground goes i went through the GM ASEP program at my local college back in class of 2014 when i was 18/19 and ive been wrenching ever since. Ive always been mechanically inclined as far as i can remember. Ive worked as a mechanic ever since schooling as well with the exception of the last four years or so i was doing construction for a bit and wrenching by word of mouth in my garage and also flipping craigslist rigs for extra cash and chopping parts here and there. I am now back working on rigs again i dont like doing anything else and im good at it.
    Last edited by Rob 689; 09-25-2022 at 01:59 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Also on a side note never did i start tuning or pcm swapping as a solution to any problems. I plan on building the truck and eventually boosting it with a cheap turbo and ill build the exhaust myself. budget build to a point and i would like to use as many factory parts as possible for ease of servicing the truck in the future oem parts are way more readily available than aftermarket.

Any problems ive had that i posted about were encountered during my modifications. I think the truck may have a mild cam upgrade in it already but i really dont know. Im not tuning because i think it needs it either it runs fine in stock form but i want to get my feet wet and be ready for when the serious mods come into play. the kid i bought it from did keep saying something about more power than most and he thought it had a cam too. Doesnt really matter tho cus the data log dictates what changes get made so itll be right in the end regardless.

Fuel Injected!
    I also have a donor motor with 130,xxx miles on it and a set of reman vortec heads and i just got my hands on a dial bore gauge set that shiny and new. My plan is to continue with supporting mods as i piece together the parts that i need to finish the motor and then when i put it in it should just be basically spread sheet tuning and probably play with the timing? I dont see any need to play with timing yet on a pretty much stock motor right?

The truck does have headers already and all the sensors are all in solid working order ive checked everything with a multi meter and i have 3 semesters worth of automotive electrical from the gm asep program. The fuel sender is brand new and i rebuilt the throttle body and you already know my injector situation and i have the AEM eugo wide band gauge just waiting on the replacement o2 sensor to come in the mail since i completely fried mine. had both that and the narrow band out last night and they were blacker than the dickens so yeah. also only like 2 runs on them lol sucks but lessons arent cheap lol.

another question, those youtube videos where people take dremel tools to the throttle body and shave down those little swirl ridges and smooth everything out to like sort of port the thing. is that a good idea im scared to try it. I do have another throttle body unit but i discovered the hard way why you dont want to remove the throttle blade screws that go into the throttle shaft. one is snapped off on one of the blades so i do have a back up but it needs repaired.