Thread: 1998 gm pcm type and info?!?

Fuel Injected!

1998 gm pcm type and info?!?

Hello, I am new to pcm tuning and hacking. I have several questions regarding gm pcms. I have a 1998 chevrolet s10 with a 2.2l ln2 engine . What type of pcm is this engine running with? I have used the search function to no avail. It seems to look like a p01 type case and blue type connector with black for the other. I am wonder what it would take to read and write this or many PCMs like this . I am aware of p08 and p04 type ecus but I don't think these 4cylinders ( 2200 ln2 )use them. I have Pcmhammer for my p01 pcm and use Tunerpro. Or is there a PCM that I can , some what plug in play or configure this pcm for hacking?

Administrator
    Many of the 4 cylinder S10 pcm's are covered by hptuner. I realize it's a pay-for solution and I would love to find a free solution that allows making changes to these vehicles.

Fuel Injected!
    What pcm is it? And whats make them different than say a 411 pcm ? Whats makes it difficult to unlock and flash ? Are they flash based?

Administrator
    I used to be really excited about getting into four cylinder OBDII stuff. I may have more information at home. I believe the pcm's are flash based.

There is some discussion on hptuners forum.

"01+ use basically the same hardware as ls1's whereas the pre 01 s-series use and older style computer from what I understand...thats why hptuners was able to easily get the 01+ stuff to the market...I dont think the market is there for pre 01 stuff if they would have to re crack code basically."
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...8-S-10-Support

more bits and pieces here:
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...e-votes-are-in!

I realize this is not highly technical. It does give some reading material and may help you find the information you're looking for.

Fuel Injected!
    From what I gather , those l4 pcms are like a 411 pcm but different unlock code. And simpler definitions. So.... could in theory take a 411 type pcm and re pin the harness and run a os for a 4 cylinder?