Thread: Bad Tune, Or Toasted Transmission?????

Fuel Injected!

Bad Tune, Or Toasted Transmission?????

Not reall sure where to place this thread.Good day, I acquired a 1996 Lt1 Corvette Auto, that has been tuned and deleted by the PO. When I got it, I already knew there was issues with the tranny (4L60e). He stated that he hooked up an ODB2 scanner to clear codes, and after that moment, the tranny hasn't up-shifted. Is this possible, or do I just have a burnt tranny? Thanks

Administrator
    Start with basic checks. Check for fluid in the the transmission If fluid is present, check the color of the fluid. Check for a very strong, offensive, burnt odor from the fluid. Check for gritty or chunky or metallic contamination in the fluid. If these conditions exist it would be wise to suspect the transmission is dead or dying.

Fuel Injected!
    The fluid was nasty (dark and old smelling), no alarming metal inside the filter or magnet. I've gone as far as swapping valve bodies, while starting from a simple filter change. No codes, all new electrical. I drove it with both the Trans fuse in, and out. Same thing. No upshift passed first. Even GM's tech couldn't make it shift using the diagnostic laptop. The Computer sends the single, the trans reads it, but ignores it lol. I'm wondering if it might be the band assembly. If that's the case I might as well rebuild it

Administrator
    It definitely sounds like it's failing. If DIY rebuilding is an option, I'd suggest that route.

Fuel Injected!
    THEY are NOT Lying to You.
    You are NOT Even Lying to Yourself.
    You ARE Being Lied to ... by Your SELF.
    The Last Psychiatrist, aka ... Alone ...

Fuel Injected!
    Thank you for the good read. As crazy as it may seem. Its sounds like multiple symptoms throughout the list. It'll shift to second if I drive it like a stick shift (except with no clutch and actual shifting), and the transbrake comes on when you manually down shift back down to first. It won't shift unless you depress the pedal. The only thing I haven't checked is the line pressure.

Fuel Injected!
    I would like to, but talk about intimidating lol. I haven't work on a tranny until now. I have the actual GM Service manual, and GM Corvette Service Manual. Still, I'm debating. Not sure if I can handle it

Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    It definitely sounds like it's failing. If DIY rebuilding is an option, I'd suggest that route.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKodiak View Post
    I would like to, but talk about intimidating lol. I haven't work on a tranny until now. I have the actual GM Service manual, and GM Corvette Service Manual. Still, I'm debating. Not sure if I can handle it
    If you're not sure if you can handle it, that means you likely can, but it will not be worth the downtime needed to do it once correctly.
    You'd likely be better off paying for a quality rebuild by a reputable rebuilder.

Good, fast, cheap - pick any two.
    Pay once, cry now, smile again sooner. Pay twice, cry again, smile again much later if at all.
    THEY are NOT Lying to You.
    You are NOT Even Lying to Yourself.
    You ARE Being Lied to ... by Your SELF.
    The Last Psychiatrist, aka ... Alone ...