Thread: Seeking Your Advice And One Missing BIN

Carb and Points!

Seeking Your Advice And One Missing BIN

The vehicle we are working on is a 1991 Buick Riviera: 3800 engine, Vin Code L, RPO L27 with ECM P/N 16141470 with BCC AXMU2583.

The problem is, that in order to make TunerPro work correctly, we need to locate and download the correct BIN, which we have been unable to find.

According to our research, the correct BIN would be: $5B3.bin.

We did locate and download XDF "$5B3 91 Buick-Pontiac L27 3800," and for the .ADX, downloaded "A112.DS," which we converted to .ADX using TunerPro.

The bin we need is NOT in the gmecm bin lib, or anywhere else we have searched, and we have done lots of searching and had numerous conversations that have brought no result.

So our question would be: how do we find this one missing bin? If we are unable to do so, is it then possible to substitute another bin that will perform without errors?

We also noticed that the TunerCat has the correct ECM definition file ($5B3) listed for their OBD1 Tuner, but that would be in their format (ecm.TDF) and not the .BIN format that TunerPro requires. So there's another question. Would the OBD1 Tuner from CATS be good for just diagnosing and troubleshooting?

Our goal here is to diagnosis what is kicking a code, rather than playing parts roulette.

Thanks for any advice or help, this really has us stumped.

Fuel Injected!
    As a newb I can appreciate how confusing these different numbers can be; $5B is the mask which controls which parameter (xdf) file you need. The "bin" file a/k/a "broadcast code" or "BCC" is AXMU based on what you posted.

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by belaw View Post
    As a newb I can appreciate how confusing these different numbers can be; $5B is the mask which controls which parameter (xdf) file you need. The "bin" file a/k/a "broadcast code" or "BCC" is AXMU based on what you posted.
    I'm pretty much stuck at the starting gate because my old Tech-1 scanner died. If it hadn't, then I wouldn't have the curiosity and be looking for something better.

I think the answer to one simple question would help, and that is, do I download a bin file to match the bin file that is is stored on the car's EPROM...

...or do we load the XDF bin definition file and then use that to read the existing bin stored on the EPROM. The instructions would look like this:

1. Load the bin definition = XDF;
    2. Load the data stream = ADX;
    3. Connect to car where the BIN is located;
    4. Concentration on the incoming data stream instead of laughing at the other poor mutts who are trying to follow the confused instructions found scattered throughout the Net.

Administrator
    Is this "Raven" that was doing 3800 Cavalier swaps a few years ago?

I don't use tunerpro very often, but I can tell you that if you're trying to use it like a scantool there's no need to download a .bin file if your car already has a programmed and working chip. If there's a memcal installed with AXMU printed on it then the only thing you need to do is focus on getting the laptop to connect to the ALDL and read data. It looks like everything is handled through the acquisition menu so you'd start by loading the adx datastream file then selecting "start / stop data scan." If it won't connect there's some troubleshooting involved.

As to your second question, Tunercat is only for making modifications to a stock .bin file, not for scanning data.

For many years the scantool was separate from the .bin editing, or tuning software. This happened because scantools and scan software were developed for technicians who didn't do tuning. A tuner would have to get scan software and tuning software. Tunerpro combines them.

hth
    Last edited by 1project2many; 08-09-2012 at 12:49 PM.

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    Is this "Raven" that was doing 3800 Cavalier swaps a few years ago?

I don't use tunerpro very often, but I can tell you that if you're trying to use it like a scantool there's no need to download a .bin file if your car already has a programmed and working chip. If there's a memcal installed with AXMU printed on it then the only thing you need to do is focus on getting the laptop to connect to the ALDL and read data. It looks like everything is handled through the acquisition menu so you'd start by loading the adx datastream file then selecting "start / stop data scan." If it won't connect there's some troubleshooting involved.

As to your second question, Tunercat is only for making modifications to a stock .bin file, not for scanning data.

For many years the scantool was separate from the .bin editing, or tuning software. This happened because scantools and scan software were developed for technicians who didn't do tuning. A tuner would have to get scan software and tuning software. Tunerpro combines them.

hth

Thanks, i am rather cavalier, but I've never even been in a Cavalier. Shortly after I posted a buddy called and came over, since he has no learning curve he was able to run TunerPro no problem. Once done we read through the numerous conflicting instructions that I saved, all good for grins and chuckles.

The process with the TunerPro Program can be daunting to the layman, but only because of a lack of clarity in communication. The etiology of confusion is a rather hilarious misuse of basic terms, but only because there is no universal standard as found in most technical pursuits. I understand this is a hobby for many, certainly no lives at risk here, yet standardization is so basic that the infused confusion presents a frustrating learning curve that will stop many who might like to be involved.

I'd have to say the TunerPro is easy to use if you know how, just like anything is easy if you know how.

Would you have any suggestions as regards replacing the memcal/EPROM on this beast, or who to hire to tweak that replacement with some rather precise modifications?

Thanks.

Administrator
    The etiology of confusion is a rather hilarious misuse of basic terms, but only because there is no universal standard as found in most technical pursuits.
    Consider that in almost every profession, the use of slang and task specific jargon readily obfuscates painfully obvious as well as more technically challenging details. It's not uncommon, when work is discussed among a core group, for references and shortcuts in language to make vast assumptions between individuals with similar skill level. Problems arise when participants' skills and experiences don't match those of the core group. Clarification requires a deliberate action and must be targeted toward users outside the core group.

The primary goal of most Tunerpro end users is, well, use. The standard level of instruction is likely to remain a mishmash of conflicting instructions relayed with the best of intentions. From what I've seen, a couple of somewhat technical people on this site have put a large amount of effort into an instruction set aimed at the not-so-technically inclined and the feedback has been good. Many end users seem to believe that learning standardized and potentially confusing names and terms is secondary to making their vehicle run well. In some cases I've found it's best to have a translator present.

I'd have to say the TunerPro is easy to use if you know how, just like anything is easy if you know how.
    I'd agree. And at this point it's the next guy's problem if he can't understand the instructions, yes?

Would you have any suggestions as regards replacing the memcal/EPROM on this beast, or who to hire to tweak that replacement with some rather precise modifications?
    Replacing the memcal, the physical component which plugs into the computer, can be done by anyone who can correctly orient a plug. Obtain a stock replacement, remove old part, install new part. Making changes to the calibration parameters contained within the program stored on the memcal (hereafter known as "tuning") involves varying levels of complexity and some specialized tools. Simple changes such as disabling error codes can be accomplished by many people on the internet including quite a few members of this forum. More complex tasks such as determining and adjusting timing or fuel settings for maximum performance are best accomplished by someone in your area who has access to your vehicle.

HTH

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    Consider that in almost every profession, the use of slang and task specific jargon readily obfuscates painfully obvious as well as more technically challenging details. It's not uncommon, when work is discussed among a core group, for references and shortcuts in language to make vast assumptions between individuals with similar skill level. Problems arise when participants' skills and experiences don't match those of the core group. Clarification requires a deliberate action and must be targeted toward users outside the core group.

The primary goal of most Tunerpro end users is, well, use. The standard level of instruction is likely to remain a mishmash of conflicting instructions relayed with the best of intentions. From what I've seen, a couple of somewhat technical people on this site have put a large amount of effort into an instruction set aimed at the not-so-technically inclined and the feedback has been good. Many end users seem to believe that learning standardized and potentially confusing names and terms is secondary to making their vehicle run well. In some cases I've found it's best to have a translator present.

I'd agree. And at this point it's the next guy's problem if he can't understand the instructions, yes?

Replacing the memcal, the physical component which plugs into the computer, can be done by anyone who can correctly orient a plug. Obtain a stock replacement, remove old part, install new part. Making changes to the calibration parameters contained within the program stored on the memcal (hereafter known as "tuning") involves varying levels of complexity and some specialized tools. Simple changes such as disabling error codes can be accomplished by many people on the internet including quite a few members of this forum. More complex tasks such as determining and adjusting timing or fuel settings for maximum performance are best accomplished by someone in your area who has access to your vehicle.

HTH
    I rejoice in the clarity of your words, all true.

And please don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed every minute of this pursuit when I didn't think that I would. This forum made that difference, very entertaining far beyond my immediate interests.

Thanks.

Your catching on and if you read this you'll have your bin/XDF/Mask/ADX all figured out!
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...is-a-must-read

You only need the ADX to read data like a scan tool. Nothing more.

You will need a adapter from Moates to plug into your Memcal then you can read your BCC/Bin/Chip, you already have it but still need a burner like the Burn2.
    http://www.moates.net/

Then the mask/XDF will let you change things. But to change it you will need another memcal adapter toG1 or G2 and 27SF512 chip, this will be a click erase and click to burn. The stock chip is UV erase and a huge pain...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-