Thread: CEL Fades on 2nd code 12...

CEL Fades on 2nd code 12...

This is not for mine, but one of the guys on the squarebody forums has an 89 burb that we are trying to get some issues squared away, andnwhen he goes to retrieve trouble codes, he gets the expected code 12 once, then on the second code 12, the light fades out, like a battery is dying. truck runs OK considering the issues we are trying to fix. I am thinking he should try another ECM?
    what do you EFI Jedi's think?

personally I'd try the simple things first. is the bulb going bad? can he pull the codes through available software?
    87 4Runner, 15" spring lift, 3" body, chevy vortec 355, 5.29 gears, 38.5x15.5x15" Boggers, 280hr, 16168625 running $0D
    93 S10, 36x12.5x15 TSL's, custom turbo headers, 266HR cam, p&p vortec heads, $0D Marine MPFI with 8psi boost.
    05 Silverado, 2' lift, 4" exhaust, Bully Dog programmer,

Quote Originally Posted by PJG1173 View Post
    personally I'd try the simple things first. is the bulb going bad? can he pull the codes through available software?
    Nahh, he does not have any of the testers available to him...he is in a bad way, money wise. the light works fine untill he goes to pull codes. it burns bright on light accelleration, and decel, which has me fishin for code 32.

Fuel Injected!
    Not sure if this will work or not, but the third page on this link (if the link works) will have two "no code 12" manual pages available to view. http://rides.webshots.com/album/561036416UNTMMP

I don't know what happened to the other two pages unfortunately, if needed I can look and see if I have them stored somewhere...but the point of uploading was so that they WERE stored somewhere. :(

Anyway, I'd work the flowchart, regardless of whether or not he gets a "partial" code 12. I wouldn't troubleshoot anything else until that problem is fixed, it may be influencing other circuits. Chased my tail with a MAF error one time, finally got to "bad MAF". Turned out one of the terminals in the ECM connector was missing its locking piece.

Also chased my tail with a start then no restart problem, indicated to be a bad ECM. Turned out a bunch of the injectors were only good for a cold start. Point with those I guess, is to not believe any of the flowcharts, unless you can absolutely verify the component is bad before replacing. But the flowcharts should put you in the right area to start poking around.
    "Frankentruck" is a "1985" K5, TPI 350 '165/6E (Vortec Heads, SDPC2000 base, roller cam, headers), 32 Spline SM465, 205 w/VSS, 10b/14SF, 3.42's and 33" tires. Soon to be boxed frame, '87 sheetmetal, and TPI w/ '727