Thread: Please look at my data logs?

Fuel Injected!

Please look at my data logs?

Hi, my name is Robert, im new to tuning just getting things figured out. My ECM is 16196396, PROM broadcast code is BDUY. Truck is 5.7L MANUAL 5spd. EGR deleted, AIR pump also gone. 200,000 on the odometer. Truck has headers and straigt pipe. header collector outlet is 2 inch and so is y-pipe, increases to 3 inch at y-pipe merge 3 inch all the way back post axle side dump. truck is extended cab long bed. o2 sensor is brand new and throttle body freshly rebuilt, new fuel pump and filter, new plugs wires.

Started data logging today. trying to make sense of what im looking at. ill attach the logs and could somebody please look at them and tell me if you think it needs any major tuning. i dont have the bin off the prom yet but i do have a burn 2 which is supposed to be able to read factory proms, havent ventured that far yet tho. I do also have a memory adapter for my ecm and a flash chip for it too. i also have a spare ecm.

The files of the logs ive included were taken in tunerpro rt

Highway probably has the best light cruising and i got on it a few times. a couple decent hills but nothing serious

run 2 i did hammer on it pretty hard at one spot. the rest is basically just all around driving
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Rob 689; 08-03-2022 at 06:16 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Should I be seeing that many knocks counted?

Is there a way to turn the o2 data into AFR data?

What is the BLM and INT numbers?

What should those numbers be at ideally?

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob 689 View Post
    Should I be seeing that many knocks counted?

Is there a way to turn the o2 data into AFR data? You are using a narrow band sensor(stoichiometric switch, roughly only accurate at ~14.3-14.7:1 AFR depending on alcohol content.) 875mv is usually ~12.5:1 AFR

What is the BLM and INT numbers? BLM is long term memory(Slow) while INT is short term memory. As the INT(Faster) updates it will then affect the BLM. When tuning, I usually turn off the BLM updates by setting their min/max values to 128 which is the middle of allowed values. I then, most times, tune the cells so I am ~123 INT value

What should those numbers be at ideally?
    I use 123 since this is what I normally see on a bone stock vehicle and that is what GM does. It seems to be much smoother driving having the computer pull a little fuel. It's probably old school transient issues that GM used to cover up the slow ass computers that were running the engine.
    -Carl

Fuel Injected!
    Thank you Carl all the info I can get is helpful. I already have deleted my egr and get an engine light as such and will right a bin to the prom with the egr disabled anyways so I fugure i might as well maybe tune things up a bit while I’m at it. I also want practice so I know what I’m doing better when I start adding more serious mods and eventually I have a donor motor from another truck I’m slowly building.

How do I know if my current tune needs a little adjusting? I do have the headers and straight pipe. I plan on swapping the intake very soon.

The guy I bought the truck from said he thought it had a cam swap in it… any way to guess towards stock or not based off the log data? Maybe the bin and the fuel map?

Fuel Injected!
    Surely giving a bit more fuel and a bit more timing should help a small amount right? Also when I really get on it the power feels peaky like it peaks and plateaus and then peaks again higher in the revs and does this a few times up through until I shift
    Last edited by Rob 689; 08-04-2022 at 07:54 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Hi Rob,
    I don't use TunerPro very often so I didn't look at your logs. Shoot, I just looked up your chip and that is a 2732a box, yuck.

Code:
    Prog ID BCC Size Year Release Date Eprom ECM Prom ID Scan ID Platform Engine Disp. Trans Trans Type Gear Ratio
    BDUY 4.00 KB 1994 34206 16188910 16196396 8911 9025 C1 L05 5.7 MG5 MAN
    The last one I did like yours was a Whipple install and I promptly changed it to a red/blue 7427 'puter. You can make yours work but it is very similar to the slow ass 7747 'puter. If this is something you want to keep and run well, give me a bit to give you some good options so you don't go grey before your time. lol

I've been doing this since the early 90's and way before we had software to help. All edits in HexWorkshop, and of course checksum correction till we found out AA disables checksums. Oh the joy

Don't let me bumm ya out, it's all fixable and there are a lot of guys on here that can help the hard learning curve. Back before emulators we had to burn chips for each desired change so I would do ~5 at a time and watch the data on my red brick snap on POS.

I use TunerCats software for my eprom crapola and also a PocketRom emulator and now recently I use DataCat scanner software for the old school stuff.

Don't just throw stuff at the tune without data.
    Last edited by In-Tech; 08-04-2022 at 09:24 AM.
    -Carl

Fuel Injected!
    Also can the stock ecm make use of a wide band if I installed it? Or should I just get one of those wide band with it’s own AFR gauge set ups?

Fuel Injected!
    I am not sure with your ECM, I have piped the external wideband into DataCat on some LT-1 stuff, I've not looked if there is a way with this calibration. If it has an electronic EGR, probably.
    -Carl

Fuel Injected!
    It did have electronic EGR till I blocked off the solenoid ports.

I do also have the memory adapter for the 16196396 ecm and a spare 6396 ecm to solder on.

I also have the SST 27SF512 flash chip and a burn 2 from moates.

I do also have a spare computer with red and blue connectors and entire engine harness etc.

PCM 16196395 BJLF

Has a CAL-PAK and MEM-CAL I think. I know it has atleast one or the other possibility both.

image.jpg

image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rob 689; 08-04-2022 at 10:56 AM.

I ran all three data logs together, the BLM averages screen capture is below.

BLM averages above 128 = lean
    BLM average below 128 = rich

BLM averages between 123 ~ 133 acceptable.

BLM average above 133 or BLM average below 123 often require VE tuning.

Watching the HWY data log I noticed ASYNC is active, perhaps active to often? Perhaps injector service / injector cleaning is needed?

Sensor data looked acceptable, no spikes or excessive flat spots.

BLM Averages.jpg

Fuel Injected!
    Thank you for looking at my logs, much appreciated.

So how did you get the averages??

Looks like I do need a small amount of VE tuning based off that screenshot?

What is ASYNC??

Maybe the TunerPro RT Tutorial from Split Second will be helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLRnRNapRN4

The tutorial is not specific to TBI, yet most of the information applies.

Async Fueling - very long read / 9 pages / 123 posts: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Asynch-fueling

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    Maybe the TunerPro RT Tutorial from Split Second will be helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLRnRNapRN4

The tutorial is not specific to TBI, yet most of the information applies.

Async Fueling - very long read / 9 pages / 123 posts: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Asynch-fueling

Thank you I’ll be sure to read up on that.