Thread: E-fans and A/C on a red/blue 512 pcm w/ 5.3 and 4l60e

Carb and Points!

E-fans and A/C on a red/blue 512 pcm w/ 5.3 and 4l60e

Hello, this is my first ever LS swap and I am a rookie here. I have swapped a 1999 lm7 5.3 and 4l60e with a cable throttle into a 1988 Toyota FJ62. I have the red/blue pcm that came with the motor and its flashed with a bin from a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado Truck Auto LM7 5.3L (12212156). Using TunerPro and PCM Hammer and lots of reading from this forum and youtube I have been able to get it running and shifting and driving pretty good. I have been stuck for the last few weeks trying to get the electric fans and the A/C to be controlled by the pcm and work properly. I am confused about what bin file I should be starting with... I have read that a 1999-2002 camaro or firebird would be the best starting point as they were dbc and came with efans as well as a/c that was controlled by the pcm using a pressure sensor rather than a pressure switch. I cant find where 2002 Camaros and Firebirds came with 5.3/4l60e's...I can't find one anywhere.

I guess my main question is:
    What is the best bin to start with to accomplish what I am trying to do with the E-fans and the A/C set up? Can I use a 2002 Camaro/Firebird and tune it to a 5.3 and a 4l60e or is there another bin out there that would be better to start with?

E-fan set up:
    I wired up the common 3 relay 2 fan high low set up with the pcm sending grounds to trigger the relays
    I have Fan 2 wired to Red 33

A/C set up:
    I have the switch on the dash ground a relay that sends 12v to Red 17
    I have a 3 wire pressure sensor in line that sends voltage signal to Red 14, Low Ref to Red 57, 5v Ref to Blue 45
    Compressor clutch relay is grounded by Red 43 and 12v is sent to Red 18 when clutch is engaged.

Thanks for any ideas or input that you might have.

Possibly using a Vintage Trinary Switch is an option?

https://www.vintageair.com/tech-vide...rinary-switch/

The trinary switch replaces the "binary pressure switch".

The trinary switch can be wired to provide an additional ground trigger to the fan relay when the AC compressor is "Happily" Turned On.

Carb and Points!
    Thanks for the suggestion, I have read about the trinary switch and It is definitely an option I will look into especially if I can't figure out how to get the pcm to control the fans.

I should have mentioned that with the 2002 silverado bin file the e fans kick on at start up regardless of engine temp and sending 12v to Red 17 doesn't trigger the pcm to engage the compressor clutch. I have double checked all my connections and verified that they have continuity. Is it possible that a 2002 Silverado didn't come with efans and the schematic shows that the A/C used pressure switches instead of sensors and even though the settings are there to change in TunerPro, they won't be functional?

As I organize my thoughts by typing this all out...What I really want to know is can I modify one of the Camaro/Firebird bins to work with 5.3 and 4l60e since I can't find one that came that way stock?

Set A/C compressor type as "Analog" in tune.
    Set "G1203 - Option byte for cooling fan configuration" to 0
    Edit: Set "Type_Of_Fans_On_Vehicle" to 0 if using UniversalPatcher

Wiring:
    https://universalpatcher.net/wp-cont...ensor-Fans.png

Works for me...
    Last edited by joukoy; 07-31-2022 at 11:47 AM.