Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adding EGR?

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitch View Post
    I'm interested in how this works out.
    I've recently installed BP Automotive's fan upgrade wiring kit in my stock 2001 4x4 5.3 Chevy Tahoe.
    As part of that upgrade BP Automotive sent me a 2002 12212156 O/S to flash to my PCM so that the fans would work properly.

With the small amount of testing I've done so far the fans seem to work okay but I noticed my EGR and AIR had stopped working.
    EGR was disabled in the O/S they sent me so I enabled it and set all the EGR DTC's to mach my original O/S but the in last test run I still had no EGR or AIR active.
    After reading your posts I'm now being to wonder if my EGR can't actually work with 12212156 O/S?

I know there is debate on the pros and cons of EGR but looking back over my logs of before and after the E-fan install I've lost gas millage @55-65MPH presumably with the EGR not working.
    So at this stage I'd like to be able to get it working again.
    With the tune loaded in your pcm you can check the readiness monitors to see if they are marked as Not Ready or Not available. If they are Not Available the monitor is not there.
    I assume that if the monitor is not there the system won't work either, but that is just an assumption.
    Checking the monitor status can be done with any scan tool with monitor status information I assume. I use the Autel AL319 because it is quick and easy to use for this purpose.
    They are cheap and I bought my first one at Walmart, and my second one for work I bought from the internet.
    I currently see price at around $29.00 but also around 35.00 depending where they are purchased from. Also, I do not sell them, I just recommend them as a cheap tool that is useful. LOL.

Autel AL319.jpg

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks for the info about checking the monitors.
    I'm new to HP Tuners and OBDII stuff, I've had more time playing with OBDI and Tunerpro RT.

My Tahoe is at a shop getting the front diff bearings and seals done but as soon as I get it back I'll see if I can figure out the readiness monitors.
    I have access to a friends Snap-on scanner, so I'd like to think it should be able provide the info I need.
    The scanner (and YouTube) were great at helping track down a faulty FTP sensor that was throwing an EVAP P0446 DTC.

My interest in following this post will be if EGR doesn't work with the 12212156 O/S they've sent me I might be able to learn how to get both E-Fans & EGR working.

I've added the .hpt file, see what you can find.
    Here is your file with the EGR and AIR turned on. I used values I found from an 01 5.3 Tahoe and from the 02 Express 2500 5.3 file. The HPT file you sent me had the EGR Enable switch disabled. That is parameter 210 in HPT software. You need to use the Navigator and search for EGR to find the parameters, at least they were still available in version 4.4.4.

I'm also uploading the same file in bin format along with the matching xdf if anyone sees something I may have misses.

Let us know if this works!

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks for taking the time to have a look at it, much appreciated.
    Sorry, I should have pointed out the file I uploaded was the original one from BP Automotive and it came with the EGR & AIR disabled and the EGR DTC's off.
    I enabled the EGR and the DTC's to match the original file read from my 01 Tahoe, flashed it back to the PCM but data logging while on the motorway was still showing EGR not working.

Thanks for converting it to a .bin format and adding the .xdf.
    This my seem like a simple question but can you actually use TunerPro RT to view OBDII .bin files?

Thanks for taking the time to have a look at it, much appreciated.
    Sorry, I should have pointed out the file I uploaded was the original one from BP Automotive and it came with the EGR & AIR disabled and the EGR DTC's off.
    I enabled the EGR and the DTC's to match the original file read from my 01 Tahoe, flashed it back to the PCM but data logging while on the motorway was still showing EGR not working.

Thanks for converting it to a .bin format and adding the .xdf.
    This my seem like a simple question but can you actually use TunerPro RT to view OBDII .bin files?
    Yes. First copy the attached checksum plugin to the TunerPro "Plugins" folder. Then open TunerPro, open the file and the XDF and you are good to go.

If you have HPT, just use the VCM Scanner to see if the monitors show up.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulse_GTO View Post
    Here is your file with the EGR and AIR turned on. I used values I found from an 01 5.3 Tahoe and from the 02 Express 2500 5.3 file. The HPT file you sent me had the EGR Enable switch disabled. That is parameter 210 in HPT software. You need to use the Navigator and search for EGR to find the parameters, at least they were still available in version 4.4.4.

I'm also uploading the same file in bin format along with the matching xdf if anyone sees something I may have misses.

Hello! I have a 2000 Yukon 5.3 LM7 4x4 4L60E. I can pull my BIN with PCHammer but I don't know how to create an XDF for it. I need to 1) delete EGR as I added shorty headers and 2) Add dual electric fans. Can you assist me with this? I cannot find a write up or video anywhere.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulse_GTO View Post

Hi there, may I have the matching BIN and XDF files you created but with the EGR still disabled? I see Op originally gave you the HPT file but I need it for use in TunerPro.